my oldest boy

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

my oldest boy

Postby Homunculi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:17 pm

an after thought on my other post ...
my oldest has not ever dressed out a deer ... this morning was his first lesson on doing so ..

he was so shakey ... but it was funny .. he is not new to squirrel/rabbit dressing but new to deer ... i did my best to tell him nothing is different just larger ..

in short .. what should have taken less than 10 min ... took over an hour ... ...

do i need to do one in front of him (again) or make him do 2 more coaching him ... ???????????????????
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

shaman

Re: my oldest boy

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 am

Good work!

Things change when the thing you are dressing is close to your size. It puts you in touch with your own mortality. That's a big move in life.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MZS

Postby MZS » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:39 am

Maybe get some good instructions, print them out, and let him do the next on his own with perhaps you there watching. I am assuming he is 15 or older. At any rate, he will only learn if he has to do it by himself. My 17 year old gutted his first by himself last year - I was not home from work so he had to do it alone, but he managed. I found some instructions for him online before hand and that was helpful.

Homunculi wrote:an after thought on my other post ...
my oldest has not ever dressed out a deer ... this morning was his first lesson on doing so ..

he was so shakey ... but it was funny .. he is not new to squirrel/rabbit dressing but new to deer ... i did my best to tell him nothing is different just larger ..

in short .. what should have taken less than 10 min ... took over an hour ... ...

do i need to do one in front of him (again) or make him do 2 more coaching him ... ???????????????????

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 am

Good stuff! An hour isn't too bad for a first time gutting a deer. It takes a while for a person to get comfortable dealing with that kind of thing. I guess that's one area where my education paid off. I've done a LOT of dissections. (I've also never really been squeamish about guts and stuff, so I'm sure that helps)

I'm not the fastest when it comes to gutting deer, but mostly due to the fact that I try to be as perfect as possible. I REALLY don't want to end up screwing up any cuts of meat...especially those inner tenderloins.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:30 am

My grandfather taught me, when I was about 9 or 10, and by the time I was 12 I was an old experienced hand. I've taught a lot of folks how to skin and gut a deer, and my 16 year old has gotten pretty good at it. With my eyesight getting worse, I'm having to depend on him more and more.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 pm

[quote="MZS"]Maybe get some good instructions, print them out, and let him do the next on his own with perhaps you there watching. I am assuming he is 15 or older. At any rate, he will only learn if he has to do it by himself. My 17 year old gutted his first by himself last year - I was not home from work so he had to do it alone, but he managed. I found some instructions for him online before hand and that was helpful.

he is 24 .. and i got my youngest to do it when he was 15 .. my oldest lived with his mother for years .. and the tug of war of "you can see him .. then you cannot" .. and years would go by without seeing him .. .. and his little stretch of time in the big house ...

he was able to buy a used bow and he is doing good with it but, refuses to practice on a regular basis ..
plus a couple of other factors ... his GF being one (always wants to be right there to know everything he is doing .. i do not see this one lasting too long) .. and he is not happy that he has to take a hunter safety course to get a hunting lic

.. he will learn

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 am

Sounds great!
I look forward to the day my girl and boy can be there doing it as well
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:50 pm

and here is a pic ... "love the truck i bought" .. makes it easy to lift them with the lift gate to a workable level for dressing them out :D
Attachments
oldest.JPG
oldest.JPG (14.6 KiB) Viewed 818 times

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

hollywoodschool

Postby hollywoodschool » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:24 am

Thanks for your help

Return to General Discussions