First picture with scouting camera

rthomas4

Re: First picture with scouting camera

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 am

db, I know it's illegal to leave a stand on a state WMA, and I believe it's also illegal to leave one on a Federal WMA as well. If the game wardens find it, they will take it down and confiscate it; at least I know that's what they do on the state lands. They will also ticket and fine hunters if they can prove who the stand belongs to, after they confiscate it.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 pm

rthomas, the hunting and fishing state regulations book that came out about 2 months ago said that on a wma a stand could be left up during the season, but had to be taken down after the season is over. I will check that book again and make sure.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Rthomas, I just checked the regulations again. If you have it, look on page 60, rule 2.7. My stand is not constructed by driving nails, screws, or other devices into the tree, and there is no wire wrapped around the tree, only rope and straps. It says it has to be out by the end of the season. Baiting is also allowed now in game zones 1 and 2. Look at the top left corner of page 2, under what's new hunting, s.91. It does not specify if that means public, private, wma or anything.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Obviously, I stand corrected as far as the new regs for state WMA lands ( the old ones didn't allow any thing to be left behind, I know because I have several friends who have or do work at Webb). But, remember the SC DNR regs do not apply to Federal WMAs, and Sumter National Forest is Federal........not state, so be certain you double check the Federal regs. I've never hunted on a state WMA, but I have hunted one time on the Savannah National Wildlife WMA, and in order to hunt Federal WMAs, you must go online to that specific WMA and print out a map, copy of the regs, and a permit in order to legally hunt all Federal WMA and National Forest Service or BLM lands located in SC. That paper work must be in your possession at all times while on those lands, in addition to your state hunting license.

If you check out pages 58 and 59, you will see that Sumter National Forest is not listed as a SC DNR WMA. As a matter of fact, the only Federally owned Forest listed as being under the jurisdiction of the SC DNR, is the Francis Marion National Forest in Berkeley and Charleston counties.

The new regs for baiting in game zones 1 and 2, are strictly on private property and do not apply to a state WMA, that portion of the regs didn't change. If it did, it would specifically address the legality of baiting on the WMA on page 60, rule 2.6.

Please don't confuse private land regs, with state WMA regs, and absolutely not with Federal WMA regs. You don't want to cross paths with a Federal Game Warden, even if you are doing everything in a 100% legal manner. They have absolute authority and will not hesitate to create an excuse to charge you!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 pm

rthomas, I stopped by the local scdnr office today to ask them about these 2 issues. I was told that baiting on a wma in games zones 1 and 2 is not allowed. It is only allowed on private land in game zones 1 and 2. I still don't agree with it because of the wording at the top of page 2 that does not specify what type of land, but the law is the law, so no baiting. As far as tree stands go, I was told that tree stands are allowed on all wma's in sc, as long as they are not permanently attached, because they are all run by the state. They never heard of any rule about federal wma land. There was a lot of people on line that heard me asking about it and they also said they never heard of anything like that. If some ranger approaches me about it, I will reference this conversation with the scdnr office.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:40 am

If that's the case, then why do you suppose the signs are posted stating that the Sumter National Forest is closed due to the shutdown; but none of the state WMA areas are closed????????? SCDNR wardens can patrol the Federal WMA, Forests, and BLM lands, but the DNR can not control the regs on them. A prime example is the fact that no center fire rifles or buckshot is allowed on a Federal WMA, Forest or BLM land, whereas that does not pertain to the state DNR operated WMAs. It sounds like your local DNR employee doesn't know sh*t from shinola! So, I wouldn't recommend that you take them at their word, especially if you encounter a Federal Game Warden and try to use any statements from a SC DNR employee as your defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 am

Sumter is not closed. I am there now, and there are other people here also. There were no signs posted here about a closing. Only at the rifle range. :D

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:47 pm

You posted this. " A sign on the gate says "this range is closed because of our government being shut down". Then on the other side of the gate is another official letter from the forestry division about only who can be on federal lands, and for what reason. I realized these were federal lands. So, when I get home I read your post. I call scdnr and ask the lady on the phone if sumter national forest is closed because of the shutdown. She looks it up and says yes it is! She tells me that game wardens should be going around to put up blockades."

Today, it was announced that due to hunter protests most Federal WMAs, BLMs, and National Forests would be opened for hunting and fishing, but not for camping or any other of the amenities that are normally provided.

My young friend, you got lucky! Just remember that what Obama gives he can also take away whenever he decides he doesn't want to play any longer. I hope you understand that Sumter National Forest is open only because the dictator in chief decided he couldn't win this particular battle without being faced with an armed rebellion. ( Hunting seasons opened all over the West, yesterday and people were breaking down the barricades in protest which prompted the re opening) Also recognize that the state of SC's DNR didn't have a damn thing to do with it being reopened, so don't let any of those idiots at your local DNR office take credit or give you any more dumb ass misinformation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, and I really, truly wish you success and hope you kill a very nice deer or two!

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:50 am

Rthomas,

I think I figured out the issue with sumter. It is federal land, but it is state run. The rifle range was closed down: they put up a gate and posted signs about how it was closed due to the shutdown, and listed the only people allowed to be on the land and for what purpose. If sumter had been closed also, I don't understand why they didn't go 5 minutes back down the road and do anything to alert people that sumter was closed. They had several options available: they could have put up a blockade, posted signs on the blockade about it being closed. But they did nothing. It seems to me that the more important piece of property for them to have made sure people were aware was closed would be the actual hunting land. There were hunters on the property during bow season which went back a few weeks.

People had to pay money to get a license to hunt on WMA's. If they weren't going to allow people to hunt on it because of the shutdown, they should have had to reimburse all the hunters that paid money for their WMA license. Obama's a joke. What other president would make people sacrifice so he could get what he wants.

Thanks for the well wishes hunting. I sat in my stand for almost 12 hours on friday and did not see a thing. Several people shot deer. A few were within a few hundred yards of me(in front of me and behind me). Yesterday I was there until mid day. It was a little cooler yesterday, and more action. I did not see anything, but alot more deer were taken. Again, all around me. Going to hunt some new areas. Got a feeling the deer were being picked off before they got to the area I was in. My father moved during mid morning, and was sitting in some thicket. A nice buck walked up behind him quietly, and when he turned to raise up his gun, he spooked it.

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras