Lazarex Foundation Offers Hope, Help To People Battling Late

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
mikejohn

Lazarex Foundation Offers Hope, Help To People Battling Late

Postby mikejohn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 am

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A local non-profit foundation is offering people battling end-stage cancer alternative options and financial support.
CBS2/KCAL9 reporter Michele Gile spoke with Dana Dornsife, who founded the Lazarex Cancer Foundation after watching her brother-in-law, Mike Miller, succumb to pancreatic cancer at 42.
When Miller was diagnosed with stage IV cancer and given months to live she dedicated herself to finding alternative treatments so he’d have more time with his wife and three young children. Miller was enrolled in a clinical trial and flown to the Philippines for treatment. As a result, several of his tumors disappeared. He died a year and a half later because of complications from organ failure.
“It’s just fundamentally and morally wrong that my brother-in-law got to live for 19 months, take advantage of medical breakthroughs and technology and clinical trials because I could write a check,” Dornsife said. “These other people, they’re loved just as much by their family and friends and I just said, ‘You know, when I get through this, one way or another, I’m going to do something about this.”
Since Miller’s death, Dana has fought tirelessly for improved options for cancer patients who have been told there is no hope left.
She founded Lazarex in 2006, which strives to help late-stage cancer patients pay for alternative treatment and cover other costs they’re struggling with.
“When you’ve been fighting the disease for a long time you’re spent in many ways: emotionally, physically, spiritually and, unfortunately, most often financially,” said Dornsife, whose name is known to the University of Southern California community after she and her husband, David, donated a record $200 million to the school.
The foundation is holding its inaugural celebration Sunday at The Depot restaurant in Torrance. For more information go to Lazarex.org.

kellory

Re: Lazarex Foundation Offers Hope, Help To People Battling

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Ok......so what? "“It’s just fundamentally and morally wrong that my brother-in-law got to live for 19 months, take advantage of medical breakthroughs and technology and clinical trials because I could write a check,” Dornsife said. “These other people, they’re loved just as much by their family and friends and I just said, ‘You know, when I get through this, one way or another, I’m going to do something about this.” "

If I didn't know better, i might think this was a shill for Obamacare. morally wrong? No, not wrong. If you can help out and you have the funds, then by all means feel free to do so, I am sure it will be appreciated by all those you can help, But fundamentally or morally wrong? No, neither one has any place at all in the discussion.

The only way it could be Fundamentally wrong, would be if health care was withheld, like ransom. it is not. No one is turned away for lack of funding or no insurance, Hospitals are required to treat even those with no means to pay. And it has been that way for a very long time. I know, I have been one of them.

Morally wrong? again, no. I am not my brother's keeper, and just because I may have something you want or need, i am not obligated to give it to you.It WOULD be morally wrong, to TAKE it from me, without my approval. such as if my property were taken from me, or a tax laid upon me for which I neither agreed, nor saw benefit from. that is simply" theft for a good cause".

Wealth, was able to EXTEND a life a bit longer, by doing things that were beyond the norm, but lack of wealth, did not shorten a life. So wealth is not evil. Nor should those with wealth be forced to carry those without it. If you chose to, for your own reasons, then God Bless You, but to force someone to support the masses, just because they could, WOULD be immoral. Without a choice, it is just another form of slavery.

If someone wished to step forward and help out, I would be grateful, for my Sister-in-law is dying as we speak. without treatment, she is unlikely to see even a few months, they caught it too late. She is at "The James" right now. She is a fighter, and will never give up, but the odds are stacked against her, and she is my age, only 50.

they are treating her even though she has no means to pay, and no insurance. She was not turned away. Could she get better treatment if someone was paying more? Perhaps, if they tried experimental, or untested methods on her she might have a better chance, but No one is obligated to go beyond "normal care"just because i wish it, or because it would be easier on my wife (her sister).

But Morals are a personal guild-line, a method of personal guidance, Not a mandate for others. And Fundamentals, are the basic building block of reason, concepts for how we perceive the world around us, and what it all means. Neither has anything to do with a checkbook.

They have to do with your heart and mind, and what your perceive as Right and Wrong, and what you do with that knowledge. You can not buy Right and Wrong at any price.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness