Michigan field notes New

DeerCamp

Re: Michigan field notes New

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Well I have my stands hung and I'm ready to go. This will be my first year that I wont be able to hunt just about everyday. I took a new job and have been pretty busy with that, but that is part of life. I have a stand hung and a shooter 8pt on a cam that I will be after. I actually will be checking my camera this weekend to see if he's back on there. I have noticed an increase in pressure around me this year but I am hoping to out smart those who are hunting around me. I noticed that the bucks lost their velvet a littler earlier this year too as they lost it between 8/29 and 9/6.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Headed up north tomorrow night to bow hunt for a day or two. I have a river that runs through my hunting property, so water isn't a huge problem for me. But do some of you veteran hunters think I should hunt over that, over a open hay field or over standing corn? I also have a swampy area that the river runs through I could go to. I just can't decide what to do, HELP! LOL

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 am

Let the wind decide for you... be ready to hunt several spots depending on wind direction, then head to the spot that looks like you are going to have the fewest amount of "likely" acreage downwind of you...

It's still early enough that the food should be good. If there's a lot of water around, it gets harder to key in to a specific spot to ambush deer coming for a drink...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Well last week I spooked a 10 point , 8 point and really big doe. Had a shot at another mature doe but let her slide. It was so warm though I could barely stand to move around so the deer definitely weren't moving. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much this weekend and with the cooler temps they are on the move.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:21 pm

wowza what an disappointing week of rifle.
Typically we will see 30+ deer opening day and perhaps we'll kill 5-7 bucks.
This year, we got 1 buck opening day, 1 on day 2, (8 hunters, and 5 others..............didn't see ANY deer, at all. None!
I didn't see a deer until day 4! 6 does sauntered by, 3 other cousins have yet to see anything (as of yesterday)

Utterly amazing.
I think the early doe season may be taking its toll. If I recall last year we saw deer, but not like 5 years ago.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 am

Not very active since 2012... Why don't we start compiling new notes and information regarding what we have seen in our hunting areas and also what changes we have seen in the previous seasons. I know for one that my hunting property changes constantly every year whether it is new crops being planted or deer using different trails than the previous years. My good friend who owns the property likes to take his coon hounds out there and hunt coons. I have been telling him that its hurting our deer hunting success yet he doesn't seem to care. He won't be around much this year and has given me the responsibility to look after the property, so I am excited to see if the activity of the deer change due less pressure and also no barking from the dogs!! We shall see!!

Anyone have any luck yet finding sheds? This winter has been brutal and it seems now that the snow is melting in most areas of the state, fingers crossed that we won't see anymore. I am going to try to get out this weekend and walk the property and see if I can find any in some bedding areas and heavily used trails. But like I said, lets try to compile notes on the forum again like we used to do so well a few years back...

Previous

Return to Michigan