question !!! ???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Re: question !!! ???

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:59 am

So it's the SIGHT as well as the smell?

If that's the case, may I suggest he take up golf?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 am

Since I don't understand about any smell either, unless it's gut shot; and the sight makes him sick; what happens after it's been skinned and gutted? If he can handle the raw meat, without getting sick, then he's just playing you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Woods Walker wrote:So it's the SIGHT as well as the smell?

If that's the case, may I suggest he take up golf?

he loves hunting ... and the meat ... just the guts are what gets to him
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:42 pm

"he loves hunting ... and the meat ... just the guts are what gets "

Kinda mutally exclusive, is it not? Like a horse that's allegeric to hay! (I actually KNEW of a horse that was like this. They kept him anyway. Sometimes you just gotta let the gene pool clean itself!)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Dinkus

Postby Dinkus » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:48 am

rthomas4 wrote:What is the "field dressing" thing y'all mention? When I kill a deer, I either take it to the house or to the skinning shed down at the dog club. We have troughs, hoists, lights, electricity for the saw, and now the walk-in cooler is working again!!!!!!!! I've never "field dressed" anything in my life.........the joys of hunting private land, especially when the house is within 500 yards or less from all of my stands on my place. Even so, when I was a kid, we always dog hunted and had a skinning area on the club where every deer was taken and skinned, gutted, and cut up. Down here, people don't have a clue about field dressing.
I have always wondered why people haul their deer home and hang them to gut them. IMO it is a lot easier to gut one on the ground where it fell. It is not as messy and it reduces the drag by 30 or 40#. I guess if you hunt near home or near your vehicle it wouldn't matter but I have had some drags that were over a mile. Every ounce counts.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 pm

It's not easy to gut one on the ground or on a low surface, when you get to be my age! We put 'em in a trough up about 3 1/2 feet off of the floor to get 'em started then use a hoist to hang 'em and snatch the bark off, then let the guts fall into a big container for hauling them to the gut pit. Then I like to let 'em hang in the walk-in cooler for no longer than a week before cutting 'em up and processing the meat.

I don't have any where I hunt where I'd have to drag one a mile. Even down in the swamp, 3 or 4 hundred yards is about the farthest. We don't have the vast expanses of acreage to hunt on down here in the swamp country of SC.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:47 pm

rthomas4 wrote:It's not easy to gut one on the ground or on a low surface, when you get to be my age! We put 'em in a trough up about 3 1/2 feet off of the floor to get 'em started then use a hoist to hang 'em and snatch the bark off, then let the guts fall into a big container for hauling them to the gut pit. Then I like to let 'em hang in the walk-in cooler for no longer than a week before cutting 'em up and processing the meat.

I don't have any where I hunt where I'd have to drag one a mile. Even down in the swamp, 3 or 4 hundred yards is about the farthest. We don't have the vast expanses of acreage to hunt on down here in the swamp country of SC.

rthomas4 i have a lift gate on the back of my truck so i can drag them to the truck lower the lift gate and raise them up to gut them .. posting a pic of my oldest dressing out his first deer on my other post "my oldest boy" ..

i also have the gambrels and other tools to get them dressed out
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:07 pm

I never gut them on the ground. I just never got the hang of it I guess. I carry enough rope to hang 'em, even if that means one leg to this tree, and the other leg to that tree. (works quite well, actually)
As a group, we gut and skin them as soon as we get them back to the barn, as a buddy hunt, or solo, they get gutted where ever they are, for the most part.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:04 am

I won't gut a deer where in the timber if I feel like it's near where I plan to hunt or on/near an obvious trail. I don't think the guts really affect the deer, but I just don't want any extra draw for coyotes into my hunting areas.

I will usually drag the deer to a place I can pick it up with the truck, then haul it out down a waterway or to a nice steep cliff near the creek to gut it before I haul it home to hang it.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:21 am

Well, I got #3 last night, and I've posted the pictures of all three deer in the SC forums down in the state's section. Hauled this big momma to the skinning shed at the dog club, so I could use the electric hoist and put her in the walk-in to hang for about a week.
Attachments
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (148.99 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

Previous

Return to General Discussions