Deer and apples

Deerhunter86

Deer and apples

Postby Deerhunter86 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:23 pm

I was hoping someone could give me some help with whats going on in my apple orchard. All through June, July, August and half of September I would get 6-700 pictures a week of deer feeding on apples. Mostly mature bucks. You cannot take a step without crushing 3 apples at a time. All of the sudden its like someone turned a switch and the deer will not come anywhere near the apples now. I Have only seen one deer so far this season and walked right through without eating one apple. Fresh apples are still falling from the trees. Someone please give me some insight to what may have happened and why the deer are not eating apples anymore. I only have access to hunt the apple orchard. Thanks...........

kellory

Re: Deer and apples

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Simple, the acorns are ripe and dropping. I've heard it said, that a deer will walk 7miles for acorns from a white oak. That's deer candy. As long as the acorns are available, even corn is a poor substitute. The acorns will not last long though. And the deer will be back, as the season progresses.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deerhunter86

Postby Deerhunter86 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:37 am

Thank you for the response Kellory. That makes sense. Hopefully the deer will be back into the apples soon! Good luck this season.

Deerhunter86

Postby Deerhunter86 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 pm

I have another concern now. All the apples are going rotten and there are bees everywhere eating them. The deer wont come in the orchard at all now. Maybe a few steps then they back out. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before or if the deer are affected by the bees? Im guessing they wont come in because of the bees.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Deerhunter86 wrote:I have another concern now. All the apples are going rotten and there are bees everywhere eating them. The deer wont come in the orchard at all now. Maybe a few steps then they back out. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before or if the deer are affected by the bees? Im guessing they wont come in because of the bees.

Those bees are working FOR you, not AGAINST you.
Your first thought would likely be poison or bee traps. You see them as a problem, i don't. You do not need deer to eat apples, you need deer to WANT apples, there is a difference. It has been said, that a deer has a nose 7 times better than a blood hound. It is their primary defense.
You have seen them approach, pause just at the edges, then leave. Fine. where did they approach from? set up on the approach to the apples, not on the apples themselves. that smell is what is drawing them in, not their taste, an the bees are keeping that smell strong, and not feeding the deer. hungry deer are more active, and more likely to be up and about looking for food. they follow that smell, approach, then pause to see what is going on, that pause is the perfect time to hit them! You have a draw, a hungry deer, and a natural distraction in the wrong direction. (keeps their attention elsewhere) Use it to your advantage!

As for the bees, you are aware that nearly all plants require bees to pollinate them, and several things are killing off bees at an alarming rate. Without bees, there is damn little food for animals or people, so don't kill them. In fact, if this is private land, you might see if you could add a bee hive, and see if the bees will like it. People have taken their bee hives on the road from crop to crop as a business, You could make some money with minimum effort, also, honey is a cash crop, and a natural bandage. (raw honey will never rot or go bad. it kills bacteria).
if nothing else, call a bee keeper and give him the location. he may have an empty hive and will likely want more, for all the reasons I just gave. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 am

Just for the record, they are most likely NOT bees at all but wasps of some form. Bees will work flowers for the pollen while wasps are omnivorus SOBs that love meat and sugar.

I also agree about the acorns. Check you oaks!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 am

Woodside, I am assuming the man can tell the difference between bees and wasps. Either way, the tactic is sound, as long as the deer have a preferred entrance. If they truly are bees, that's a bonus. ;)

Deerhunter86

Postby Deerhunter86 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Setting up on the approach to the apples would be the best case scenario but they are approaching from a forest preserve that I for obvious reasons cannot hunt lol. After reading your post Kellory I definitely see the bees as a plus now. I need to wait for it to get colder so the bees dont come out and it should be like shooting fish in a barrel because the deer want the apples and cant reach them yet. Bees are basically teasing the deer for me. The orchard I hunt is maybe 1 acre big and it has a bean field on one side of it and forest preserve surrounding the other sides. I only have access to put a stand in the apple orchard so I think my only option is to wait for the cold. Woodside-the bugs im seeing are definitely bees because there are two hives on both sides of the orchard. My landowner has them there to jar and sell the honey. On that note I have seen wasps too. Let me know if you guys have any other solutions but I just dont see any other way besides waiting for the cold.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Set up as close as you can to the property line and wait for the deer to get curious enough to come onto the property you can hunt. I'm assuming that you have the ability to track a deer onto the forest preserve here...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Deerhunter86

Postby Deerhunter86 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 pm

No available trees close enough to where the deer are approaching and no shot from my tree stand. I need them to walk about 5 more yards in and I will have a 12 yard shot. Just having trouble with that extra 5 yards Putting up a ground blind in that small of an area I think would be like putting a refrigerator in someones living room and expecting them not to notice.

Next

Return to Illinois