Maplewood State Park

the grey

Maplewood State Park

Postby the grey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Me and my brother have gotten pulled for Maplewood State Park, Mn this yr for the first time and was looking for some helpful advice or tips about the hunt or camping. If anyone has hunted there and has some info that would help me it would be much appreciated. Thanks

kellory

Re: Maplewood State Park

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Welcome to the forum!
First thing I would recommend would be get some eyes on the property, if you can't get boots on it first. Start with Google earth (or similar) and see what you can see. watch for water, bedding, and any food crops. check for the prevailing winds for the area, Moon phases can make a difference, as well as the weather.

I do not hunt in your state, but if you were to post a sat photo of where you intend to hunt, many people will pitch in with suggestions. knowing what crops are growing where, and at what stage they are would be helpful as well.

Some parks have special rules as well, like no stands, or primitive weapons only. How do you intend to hunt? Give us a few details, and we can be more helpful.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

the grey

Postby the grey » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:19 pm

thanks, its a 4 day rifle hunt on 10,000 acres. There is 100 tags given out and you can hang a stand 7 days before the hunt. Also the park will remain open to the public during the hunt

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Ok, it is a rifle hunt. Will you show up early to hang a stand and scout? Or will you ground hunt with a blind? Or do you prefer to stalk? Again, photos of the hunting area, would help a great deal. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Minnesota