Been hunting yet?

Ohio farms

Been hunting yet?

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 am

I went out on opening day and had a small 8 pt walk by, but that was it. It got me excited, though.
Leaving this afternoon to hunt our farm Saturday with my brother and a friend. Kind of warm out, but the three of us always have a good time spending the night before at the farm house telling stories and having a few beers.
Good luck to anyone going out.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Re: Been hunting yet?

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:44 am

We sat on stand (3 of us) from from an hour before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. Saw nothing and heard one shot in the distance. Temps were in the upper 70's...the only thing moving were the squirrels.
The DOW instituted an early weekend of blackpowder this year to try to remove some does from the herd. It was "does only" this weekend and that included those throwing arrows. With the hight temps and lack of hunters afield I think that the plan will not work, at least that seemed to be the case in northern Trumbull county.
Will try again today, but will only hunt the last few hours of the day.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Re: Been hunting yet?

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:51 pm

I did not hunt, but was just on my hunting property. I transported a batch of acorns from in city to my feeders, cleared a bit of the road, and collected my safety harness, for hunting elsewhere. and introduced a local trapper to my property. I am providing the traps, and the location, he is providing the experience and the daily run of the traps. i should gain some labor on the upkeep of the property as well. My rabbits are either gone, or well hidden, and we are setting up to trap coyotes. traps are being treated and prepped now, and locations for sets were scouted. Two kids are being taught by their father, how to trap. We two, shall teach them to hunt as well. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Ohio