Hunting etiquitte

If you used our old forum, please read this ...
biggestdupontfan

Hunting etiquitte

Postby biggestdupontfan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 pm

So here is my question. I have been hunting a field since the season opened in September. I use my climber on the same tree every weekend. Last week I creep out to my tree in the dark and find someone had padlocked a fixed stand onto the tree I have been using. Stevie Wonder could have seen someone was climbing it from the scrapes my climber left on the bark. How would the rest of you handle this? Would you use his stand since he so kindly placed it in the tree you were using, or would you find another tree?

Woods Walker

Re: Hunting etiquitte

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 pm

Are you hunting private or public land?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

biggestdupontfan

Postby biggestdupontfan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Hunting on a military base. I guess you would say its public land, with somewhat limited access.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Well this is just my opinion, but you don't own the land, or pay to have exclusive hunting right, and neither does your interloper.

And neither of you own that tree or have any rightful claim to it. It's first come, first serve, You have no right to tell him or even think that he should not hunt that tree because you "claimed" it. What if there was someone else who had been hunting that tree before you and you didn't know it or notice it? See where I'm going?

Now IMO anything left on public land is open for use by anyone. If you get to the tree first and get in it and the owner of the stand shows up then you have to give him his stand because he does own it, but you could very well also park your butt under the stand or set up your stand right next to it and hunt it that day because you got there first and he DOESN''T own the tree.

Now..if it were me, I'd just move on and find another spot because I go hunting to AVOID stress and aggravation, not seek it out. It's also why I ground hunt in a ghillie suit now and just move as the whim takes me, leaving nothing in the woods but footprints.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 am

Yeah that's a tough situation.

One thing you could try would be to leave a note on the stand with your phone number so you can talk with the guy. Maybe he won't care if you sit in his stand on days he isn't hunting. Trying to establish a friendly relationship is definitely a better option than creating an enemy and adding stress to your hunting...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 pm

I always thought military bases had the same rules as National Forests, BLM's and Federal WMAs; which is no stands allowed to be left on the premises. Padlocking a stand to a tree would be illegal, as would leaving a ladder stand, climbing stand or hang on stand even if it wasn't padlocked. Is that now permissible on military bases????????????

BTW, I agree with Deebz., the two of you might just end up being good hunting buddies!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 pm

I have run into situations like this many times on public land here in PA. Nothing burns me up more than walking into a spot that you spent all year scouting, only to find someone else moved right on in. I have dealt with people sitting in my stand, which I absolutely hate. I know its public land and some people think they have every right to sit there, and I guess they do, but I believe in some sort of etiquette.. I would never even dream of setting up in someone elses stand. I would much rather the guy set up in a tree right next to me than sit in my stand.. Either way its a losing situation. The flip side is, I'm sure I have unknowingly encroached on someone else’s spot.. So no matter how much it stinks, when someone else does it to me, I end up pulling my stand and moving on. In your case with the climber, messed up tree bark would probably be something not too many people are looking for when setting up a stand. I would just recommend moving elsewhere.. There are always better spots out there. I like to think my spots are untouched, except by me, so that makes it easier for me to scout more to find those spots. Your situation is something that makes my spine tingle, but there really is nothing you can do about it... It’s easier to move on that way you can enjoy your time in the woods.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:26 am

Here's another thought. The scraped tree bark may also be an advertisment for another hunter that, "Hey! This must be a good spot because someone else hunted here!" And on that same note, just because he sees scraped bark how is he supposed to know that you are coming back? He doesn't. For all he knows you may have set up there and already killed a deer and you won't be back until next year.

When I hunted public land I'd bring my portable in and out with me at the end of the day, and if I went to a spot where someone else had set up I'd just shrug it off and move on. There's really not much else you can do.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:14 am

That's a good point Woods... I have definitely set up to hunt areas where I've seen evidence of other people hunting there in the past. Everything from scraped up bark from climbers to old rotten 2x4's from old permanent stands have always been things I notice when trying to find a place to hang stands.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:30 am

I'm just glad I don't have to hunt public land!!!!!!!!!! If I find someone has set up a stand on my property, then it's going to belong to me and they better pray to whatever God they believe in that I don't catch 'em on my property!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to NEW FORUM FAQ