2013 Hunting Report

bullwinkle

Re: 2013 Hunting Report

Postby bullwinkle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 am

I am just NE of you towards Marion.

I have never seen a year with such poor antler growth. The dream of a monster this year may be hopeless but the hunt should be exciting with all the deer we have this year. They are back to pre-EAB leveles in my opinion

rosonj07

Postby rosonj07 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 pm

I agree Bullwinkle, very poor antler growth this year. We did shoot 4 nice bucks last year so I was not too optimistic going into this season. I am getting a lot of trail cam pics of deer but just not seeing them on stand. Hopefully some new bucks will show up during the rut. I thought this past weekend would be good because of the colder weather but i was mistaken. Friday night seen 4 deer, Saturday I was skunked morning and night which i do not think has ever happened to me hunting in waupaca county my entire life, and sunday i seen one deer in the morning. I do not know if they are just not moving or what. All the corn is down now around us but still a ton of leaves on the trees. Curious to what you guys have been seeing bullwinkle and if you have been having the same issues as we have been?

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 am

I hunt just north of Iola as well, this year has been pretty bad for me.

None of the corn around me is down yet, most of the leaves have fallen. I've been getting trail cam pictures of 1.5s and 2.5s hitting my mock scrape at night, but have yet to see a mature buck on stand.

I also thought this past weekend would be good, however, I saw 3 deer Saturday morning (doe and 2 fawns), a fawn Saturday night, skunked Sunday morning in the fog and saw a small 7 pointer, a doe and 2 fawns Sunday night.

If you're looking for mature bucks to come around (as what I'm hoping for too) I'm not sure if they exist this year lol...I have one 11 pointer that is pretty wide and tall, but not old at all with a split G2 on its right side...He'd probably score around 130-135 gross...I've been hunting hard since Monday after the youth season, trying to get some does, but even those aren't wandering around during daylight hours or close enough.

I guess time will tell, but first things first, I need all the acreage of corn off the fields around me, and get those does to change their patterns as well.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

rosonj07

Postby rosonj07 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 am

Well at least I know we are not the only ones not seeing mature bucks on camera or in the stand. I have been hunting hard also since Youth Season ended too and my main focus has been trying to shoot a mature doe and even this has been hard to come by. Hopefully Patterns will change too.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Ditto - I could have wrote both your posts. Nothing going on during daylight of any significance. Very few deer over 130" this year

Ninner75

Postby Ninner75 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:00 am

Up until 10 days ago our camera action was limited to does and small bucks. Checked the cameras last weekend to see 3 new shooters. Probally not a coincedence that they were over scrape drippers. Might want to give it a try. Doesn't appear that the late spring or drought affected them. Zone 71. Will try to upload pics at some point.

Seperately, was in the tree saturday. Had two does in range. Heard gunting and a small buck came charging in and chased the does. Don't think the big ones will be kicking in until Halloween but it's getting close.

Could be the trickle rut we heard about.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Yea, I've got a mock scrape up, with a dripper.

Zone 71 in the CWD zone didn't have the pain the zones north of Hwy 21. We were buried in snow here into early May with a frozen crusty top to beat...that's a lot of stress on our deer herd.

People up here are just finally starting to take out corn fields around me, which should help with deer sightings, but not necessarily with size of deer. Though big bucks will show up, the numbers of them will certainly be down. Probably going to be a lot of does shot by me and my father this year, and letting a lot of fawns and smaller bucks walk to try to balance out the herd. If any year is to do it, this is the one.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

fullrut

Postby fullrut » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Gafrage wrote:Yea, I've got a mock scrape up, with a dripper.

Zone 71 in the CWD zone didn't have the pain the zones north of Hwy 21. We were buried in snow here into early May with a frozen crusty top to beat...that's a lot of stress on our deer herd.

People up here are just finally starting to take out corn fields around me, which should help with deer sightings, but not necessarily with size of deer. Though big bucks will show up, the numbers of them will certainly be down. Probably going to be a lot of does shot by me and my father this year, and letting a lot of fawns and smaller bucks walk to try to balance out the herd. If any year is to do it, this is the one.

Rodger That !

Ninner75

Postby Ninner75 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Maybe this will help get some energy back in the forum.
D Bottom 2013 Oct 021.JPG
JaneDitchDripper2013 010.JPG
sept172013_075-1.jpg

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:51 am

To my fellow WI hunters
Be patient, I went to Jackson Co Last weekend to hunt on a freinds property to no avail & on my way there I saw only 2 road kill. Yesterday I took a trip towards Waupaca & saw at least 20 car kills so the deer are definitly starting to move. As far as the lack of antler growth, I have noticed the same in my area. I sat out last night & finally saw a couple deer from my stand. The corn is coming down slowly but surely. Hang in there & good luck.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin