recent warden article

Lot to Learn

recent warden article

Postby Lot to Learn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:46 am

In the most recetn D&DH there is the article about the warden that tried to charge someone 500 to consider letting them access property to recover deer. Can anyone tell me how to access the poll on this?

JChurch

RE: recent warden article

Postby JChurch » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:22 am

I would like to access the poll too. I hunt Hancock county and know this warden thankfully he retired this year so we won't have to worry about him as a crooked warden anymore just a crooked citizen.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:41 am

ORIGINAL: JChurch

I would like to access the poll too. I hunt Hancock county and know this warden thankfully he retired this year so we won't have to worry about him as a crooked warden anymore just a crooked citizen.
I didn't see any CPO's names mentioned in the article, but I have a good idea of who your warden was, and the warden who replaced him , well she can be a stickler too, from what I've heard. Knowing the type of un-ethical hunters they have dealt with over the years, it's no suprise that certain CPO has made a few enemies. I'm glad that hunters around here have to worry about a CPO doing the job, that makes hunters more inclined to follow the game laws.         
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JChurch

Postby JChurch » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:27 am

I'm all for CPO's doing their job but when someone tries to do the right thing and ask permission to get a deer they shot and they get the run-around for three days from a man who turns out to be a CPO is just a little hard to swallow. Did he leave the deer out there to rot, I doubt it, and what about the trail camera photo of him trespassing? I've never had a bad encounter with a CPO, in fact the one in question I've talked to a few times and everything went well, but then you read something like that article and it cast a shadow of doubt. We need the CPO's to help us do the right thing not hinder us, maybe next time the lady doesn't seek permission and gets caught who's fault is it hers or the CPO she had the bad experience with?

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 am

there are a few bad apples in every group. much like the few we as hunters have im sure that they are the exception rather than the rule in other groups as well. and as for the man in quest. i would be carefull becuase being retired doesn't make him mis-communicated from the law enforcement community. i would also like to offer that much like the accusations leveled toward mr. davenport himself in the antler illness thread weve only heard one side of the story. who knows what this man has encountered over the years with land bordering outfitted property. this is one of the reasons i have tried to get some sort of legislation started to allow hunters to access property under the supervision of a cpo to retrieve mortally wounded game. this is a growing problem and its only a matter of time before someone is hurt or killed over a set of antlers.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JChurch

Postby JChurch » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:53 am

Your right,just because someone tried to do the right thing with him doesn't mean everyone else did. I guess we don't know everything else that went on before this incident.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:57 am

I have to admit, I've even heard the horror stories myself, but I've also seen the man catch some of the worst of the bunch. Your very right howhill, I've seen the former warden drinking coffee every morning with the new CPO's already. Something to remember is that here in hancock county, well let's just say the area has it's own brand of peace makers , and the Judges like to hear guilty plea's, and back up thier officers. I think maybe ther was some heat between the CPO and the outfitter, could be the outfitter is hunting too close to the boundry from the sounds of things. Even CPO's have rights, and if the man didn't want the outfitter on him, I can respect that. As for the cam pic, well by law that CPO can enter any land in pursuit of game law violations.  I think the hunter access law idea is great, but who wants to be told when to let someone on thier personal land? This boils own to being good neighbors, some people just don't understand how to do that.   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:26 am

[This boils own to being good neighbors, some people just don't understand how to do that.   
[/quote]

unfortunately this is all to true these days. when i was a kid we would start hunting and just go from farm to farm permission was a easy to get. those days are gone forever im afraid.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:17 am

I have to admit I never considered things from his point of view, outfitter next door. 

Youngpup

Postby Youngpup » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:36 am

http://dnr.state.il.us/Law3/outfitter/OutfitterListingWeb.pdf  on page 32....... it looks like the warden opened up a competeing outfitting operation................. he has listed it under his wifes name but that address checks out.

Next

Return to Illinois