food plots ain't cheap

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
milkie62

food plots ain't cheap

Postby milkie62 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Been out of food plotting for awhile.Last year because of time I had 7 acres plowed for me and quickly broadcast some rye grain.Came up good and deer went crazy in it during the winter.This year ordered some various annual seed ---- Shot Plot,maximum,wintergreens.Have invested $300 in seed,$100 in Roundup,and $65 in fuel already.Still need to get some fertilizer tomorrow and lime---3 ton for this year and will relime in the spring .This is for about 3.5 acres.Its cheaper to go to the butcher and buy prime rib. :D :D

rthomas4

Re: food plots ain't cheap

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Yeah, but there's a lot of satisfaction in killing deer that you've grown with your own food plots. Plus, the enjoyment of watching the deer herd grow and mature as they benefit from the work you put into planting and developing those plots. Trail cameras provide a lot of enjoyment, as well as the actual hunting as you watch the fawns grow up and learn to identify the different deer so that you recognize which ones are which.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

TkWoodsmen

Postby TkWoodsmen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 am

Food plots can be expensive, but he^ is right. There is nothing like growing your own plot and watching it grow and seeing how the deer use it and how much it helps them. Cost could be lowered from your above amounts though. Try Horny Buck Seed, very very well priced and is quite honestly some of the best seed I've ever used. It is also the seed that Chris Bracket and Levi Morgan use;)

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:52 am

I never purchase any of the national brands or trade marked brands. I always buy the different seeds from a local feed and seed store and mix my own blends based on what works in my local area. It's a lot cheaper, more reliable, and much more productive.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:24 am

I go with regular ag seed...but I am as cheap as they come so plot rotations and choosing seed wisely is imperative. My biggest expense ..besides fuel, is lime hands down. I also determine what plantings will benefit both the deer and us. Mr B. loves turnips...when I figure in the cost of buying seed to the cost per pound of turnips Greens and bulbs that I would have to buy in the store vs grab from the freezer or root cellar...it pays for it's self.
Last year the deer and I played a game of ..who would pick the most corn, get the best pumpkins and butter cup squash first. We all won on those plantings. I bought the cheapest seed I could find and it grew great.
The rotations I do based on fertilizer needs..Nitrogen,legumes clovers with phosphorus and potassium being brought up and available to other plants through hog radish, buckwheat. for the potassium needs I keep a good patch of russian comfrey growing to make a comfrey tea that I spray over the soil...it can be cut several times a season and the leafs are added to 55 gal. plastic drums to steep for several weeks...strained through stretched stockings and put in a spray tank...If I don't have enough our son bought an old farm house and they grew it all over the place...you cant kill the stuff lol.
I have also grown Sunn hemp and test new seeds like sainfoin. Quail heaven reseeding soybeans and this year will be mihi clover and frugeek.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

mehak

Postby mehak » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:32 am

I would think, anything that would make a deer more likely to linger, or return would be an improvement. Weather it be a new watering hole, an extra apple tree, acorns, honeysuckle, clover, or corn. Anything growing that supplies food early or late will be noticed and marked by deer. Salt blocks help only during the early season, and some stuff lasts until late season

eshall.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management