Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Deebz

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 am

Good Shooting!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 am

Love the updates. Glad to hear the rut is kicking in. Debz - nice photos. Big Horse - Ive never had a shot on a coyote. Is the aiming point different than deer? just curious.
Semper Fidelis!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 pm

To tell you the truth, I just assumed it was. I hit him a little farther back than I intended, but he was walking and I didn't want to attempt to stop him for fear he would bolt. I aimed just behind the front leg, forgot to take in account he was moving and hit him mid section. The G5 ripped through him and he didn't go 40 yards.

I saw him coming over my right shoulder, drew to the left side of the tree, turning back over my left shoulder, and waited as he walked right into my shooting lane.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 pm

The good thing about a yote is that they are pretty small compared to a deer, so if you get an arrow near vitals you should get a quick kill. As much as it goes against how I try to be when it comes to animals that can be utilized, I also wouldn't feel too bad if I didn't get a quick kill and recovery of a yote. A gut shot will kill it, and while I wouldn't TRY to do this, I wouldn't really wait for the perfect angle to take one out. There are WAY too many of them in our area...

My buddy back home (Ottawa, IL area) shot a monster buck this past weekend. He took up the trail after 1 hour, and had half the back end and most of a front shoulder eaten by coyotes.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 pm

The farmer and I have killed 4 off this ditch in the last 3 weeks.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:43 am

Well done Big Horse.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Sorry I have been MIA lately. Sounds like everyone has been experiencing some good hunts. I have not been hunting since I shot my doe on October 6th. Just have had a lot going on. The baby will be here at some point over the next couple weeks and I hope to get out a few times while I am on paternity leave from work. The few times I get out should be in the prime of the rut though so who knows. You only gotta be in the stand one day for something magical to happen. And often times magic happens when you least expect it. Have a safe and successful November!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:14 pm

I know this is a deer hunting site, but I put down the bow for a couple days and took the dogs out.

November 2, 2013

I met up with brothers and a few friends at sunrise for the Pheasant opener. My Brittany's were raring to go and it was a pretty good day. We saw several birds, and ended up with 7 Roosters and 4 Woodcocks. The dogs had some good points and retrievals. I've never seen so many woodcocks here before, it must be the warm weather hanging around.

November 3, 2013

Last night my best friend drove down from the suburbs along with another buddy and we headed back out to meet another friend in search of the Ring Neck Pheasant. We ended up with 5 Roosters and 2 Wood Cocks. Again we had some great dog work, which is about my favorite part of bird hunting. I missed more than I should, almost nocked a woodcock down swinging the end of my O/U at it, and had a great time with close friends and family. Doesn't get any better than that.

November 4, 2013

In stand at the campground at 5:45 am, It was a windy SSE morning. There wasn't much action, and quite frankly it was just one of those days where the weather felt completely wrong. I can't really explain it. About 8 I caught glimpse of two does making their way through the timber about 60 yards behind me, and about 8:20 a basket racked 8 point chased a doe through about the same spot. I sat till 9:30 without seeing anything else.

In the afternoon I returned to my ground blind and set out my headless decoy in hopes of drawing a curious deer across the plowed cornfield. I lost the head to the decoy in a flood a few years ago, and haven't ever tried it like this until now, but never saw a deer all night. I don't think it was the headless deer, it just wasn't in the cards.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Nice work on the pheasants BigHorse! I dont' have a dog or anything, but if you ever need an extra gun on a pheasant hunt, get ahold of me!

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Deebz wrote:Nice work on the pheasants BigHorse! I dont' have a dog or anything, but if you ever need an extra gun on a pheasant hunt, get ahold of me!

:mrgreen: or me! The farmer who leases the family farm (the small one) plowed under all the grassland, for more corn., so no more pheasant hunting there. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois