need .308 ammo advice

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
0331Sasquatch

need .308 ammo advice

Postby 0331Sasquatch » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I recently took my new .308 on a Deer hunt in West Georgia. I am shooting a Hornady Match 168gr factory loaded BTHP. After shooting two does, clean shots through vitals, (lungs and heart) both does ended running 100+ yards after the shot. I'm thinking the BTHP match grade is too high of a velocity and there is no transfer of energy. There was also a very small exit wound as this shows little to no expansion of the bullet. I am thinking of switching to a soft point or nosler tip, but I love the accuracy of the rounds I am currently shooting. Any advice?

Retranger

Re: need .308 ammo advice

Postby Retranger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:38 am

I would switch to soft point. Don't know how far you are shooting. I am not a ballistic person but I have taken deer with 30-30 soft point, some have dropped right where they were shot and others went a ways. Couple years ago I shot a doe at 30 yds with my 50 cal. muzzle loader with 295 grain hollow pt with 100grains of powder. I got both lungs and she went 100 yds before she went down.
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:11 pm

I own two different rifles chambered in .308 Winchester. One is a Ruger Mark VII and the other is a T/C Encore. Both of mine handle the Winchester SuperX 150 grain power points better than any other brand or weight grain bullet. Since I shoot most of the deer I kill in the neck, I always get a complete pass through and instant drop dead kills. The few deer that I don't shoot in the neck are usually at longer distances, but I still get a complete pass through and the very few I've had to trail, didn't go farther than 20 or 30 yards and were pouring blood from both sides. I've tried Hornady, Remington, Federal, and even some of the PriviPartisan brands, and I've tried 168 grain and 180's, as well as ballistic tip; and nothing is as consistent as the SuperX and none of them are as accurate as the 150 grain. The biggest problem is in finding them in 150 grain. Apparently, most people want the 180 grain, since those are the easiest to find; however, I'm only hunting Whitetails in the SC lowcountry for the most part and the 150 is plenty heavy enough to do the job on the deer down here.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

CharlieTN

Postby CharlieTN » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:24 pm

0331Sasquatch wrote:I recently took my new .308 on a Deer hunt in West Georgia. I am shooting a Hornady Match 168gr factory loaded BTHP. After shooting two does, clean shots through vitals, (lungs and heart) both does ended running 100+ yards after the shot. I'm thinking the BTHP match grade is too high of a velocity and there is no transfer of energy. There was also a very small exit wound as this shows little to no expansion of the bullet. I am thinking of switching to a soft point or nosler tip, but I love the accuracy of the rounds I am currently shooting. Any advice?

The load you are using is a "Match" load meaning that it is not meant to mushroom and in fact usually will not, hence the small exit wound. I shout that same bullet out of my .308 for precision work but hunt with the Hornady 165 SST as they have a very similar ballistic coefficient within my normal hunting range. I'm 4 for 4 with one shot kills with the 165 SST's with the furthest run afterwards only being roughly 60 yards.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:30 am

Check your hunting regs. What you are shooting may not even be legal on deer. Most states that allow centerfire rifle on deer require a soft-pointed bullet. Remember that you do not have to be all that accurate to kill a deer a 4 MOA rifle will work just fine as long as you get the bullet into the kill zone. Go get yourself a box of Remmie Green Box and go have fun.

BTW: I've used Hornady 165 GR Interlok SP's and BTSP's for years with good luck. My wife shoots the match stuff, but she does not deer hunt..
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:03 am

shaman wrote:Check your hunting regs. What you are shooting may not even be legal on deer. Most states that allow centerfire rifle on deer require a soft-pointed bullet.

Have never heard of this. Not so in my area It is interesting to learn all the different regs from around the country
Doug

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:59 am

Like Charlie said above, try the Hornady SST line. they are amazing. Thats what we use for all the 30 cal stuff. Granted you might not get an exit wound most of the time BUT usually if you hit the deer its right there where you shot it waiting for you to load it up. 150 gr. sst for our 308's and 165 for the 300wsm seems to work well for us.
The nosler ballistic tip is also a good backup as well, they perform as well as the sst BUT after about 200 yds they dont do the damage the sst does for some reason. Under that range with correct shot placement they are almost identical.
The first deer for the year I shot was a ten pt 219# buck that when down withen 2 ft of where he was shot with a sst shot through the shoulder and we found 65 gr. of the bullet under the skin on the other side. the other 100 gr was in the heart and the far shoulder.. You are looking for the bullet to expend all of its energy in the deer (or whatever) you are shooting. That is what gives you the knock down power. When the bullet goes all the way through it is still carrying energy with it and is being wasted. Usually we dont track anything, it is right there where its been shot.
Overkill? Whats that? dead is dead.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:54 pm

I've heard of the dumbass restrictions some state have on no center fire rifles, but never on the type of bullet.........other than the stupid stuff that commifornia just passed.

I'm just glad I live in the free state of SC, where we don't have to live with stupid, outdated hunting rules!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm

The reason for the restriction is that military ball ammo aka full metal jacket, generally does not expand and has a tendency to pencil through game. I don't know about stupid. It at least seems well-intentioned. Personally I would not want to shoot FMJ at a deer.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:16 pm

As I understand it, the super high speed FMJ stuff is intended for shooting other people. The idea being that you could possibly take out an enemy soldier without doing too much collateral damage. This would allow you to win the war without killing off the enemies entire population. Is this like, Geneva convention/rules of warfare stuff?? ....I could be way off here, just what I remember reading/hearing about.

When hunting, a soft bullet expands and delivers its kinetic energy into the body of the deer or whatever animal. This causes more secondary trauma, ie hemorrhage and whatnot, which causes faster blood loss and a faster death to the animal. This means a shorter tracking job for the hunter and more recovered game. Plus, in areas like IL with wide open flatland and high population density, it prevents someone from shooting a deer on the back 40 and either missing or passing through an animal and sending an intact slug into the farmers back door....

I was home this weekend and talking with my dad. He told me a story. A couple weeks ago, a local farmer was sitting in his living room watching tv with his wife. It was mid-afternoon. His front door faces North. He and his wife heard a "smack" on his front door. He got up and opened the door and didn't see anybody around. They thought it was odd, but went about their business. Later that evening, the wife looks at the floor and says "what is that?". The farmer walked over and picked up a bullet that was lying in front of the couch. Upon investigating they found a hole in the front door that matched the bullet.

About 3/4 of a mile to the North is a subdivision. There is a guy who is an avid hunter and shooter who lives there. Turns out he was sighting in a rifle (not sure of caliber, but it was pretty big apparently) to get ready to go out west hunting. The bullet the farmer found matched the ammo the guy was jusing to sight in his rifle. The only explanation is a random ricochet. The bullet came through the door sideways (as if tumbling), and the guy was shooting in what everybody assumed was a safe direction.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo