Blind setup on southern oklahoma land

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
j_allen_morris

Blind setup on southern oklahoma land

Postby j_allen_morris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:34 am

A friend of mine has the property in the image below. I marked the ground blind with a red X and the feeder and food plot (new, not grown in yet) with the yellow X. The orange shapes are where we have found deer ground scrapes. He has a trail camera by the feeder that got good images the last few months but the last week didn't take any pictures even though we put out new corn and the new corn is gone as of Friday. The corn was right in front of the camera and didn't take a single picture. Frustrating for us both!

My question is that I'm a new deer hunter and have been reading a bunch about this stuff and from what I've read, this setup doesn't seem to be the best situation. We were out there last Sunday and yesterday and he was out there Friday with another of his friends and they only saw a fawn and very young buck on Friday. The wind yesterday was strong and coming from the north east, basically blowing our scent down range to the food plot and sometimes the wind was coming from the north,even north west. My friend says the deer come in from the north and west, but I don't think that is true anymore because just last year an oil company drilled a new oil well to the west and somewhat north of his property. Deer are going to change habits when the landscape changes. I think my friend needs to change his setup but because he has hunting this property for forever, I don't think it's my place to even suggest anything to him. I'm new at deer hunting. Any suggestions on where to put the blind or build other blinds is greatly appreciated.

Total size of the land is about 80 acres. There is a lot of evidence of the presence of deer and wild hog but we've been skunked this year. I never even saw a deer on the land.

Oh, and the image or oriented with north up, south down, west left and east right.

Attachments
LoneGroveHunting.JPG
LoneGroveHunting.JPG (220.35 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Return to Best Practices