taking my 9yr old daughter hunting

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
freaknajeep

taking my 9yr old daughter hunting

Postby freaknajeep » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:55 pm

hi im new here and fairly new to hunting in general(about 4 years)....I have a question of which I am seeking advice on...I have a 9yr old daughter who for the last couple years has been begging for e to take her hunting....however the only rifles I own are a 1943 enfield(brit) .303, a TC thunderhawk .50 cal muzzle loader, a rossi 12ga. and my brand new savage model 11 in .308 cal.....the savage is one sweet shooting gun,,,cant even hardly feel the recoil....I just received my new Caldwell fieldpod...I was thinking about teching her to shoot the .308...and let her use that in conjunction with the fieldpod ans take her out for youth gun....I feel like the gun is friendly enuff for her to shoot but don't want to risk any possible injury....I would like some opinions or thought about this...she is wanting me to take her with me tomorrow when I go to finish sighting in the new scopes on both the .50 cal and the .308....thanks....any help would be much appreciated....I never got to hunt as a child and or with any of my family....so any advice that could aid in my getting to the woods with my offspring, would be much appreciated :D

Retranger

Re: taking my 9yr old daughter hunting

Postby Retranger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:45 am

You are a very lucky fellow!!! :) Definitely take her hunting, but I wouldn't start her on a high power rifle. I would start her shooting a small caliber and let her work up on her pace. Should be able to borrow a couple guns to let her shoot. Good luck and wish her luck.
Doug

j_allen_morris

Postby j_allen_morris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:41 pm

I agree to start her out with a smaller gun. My daughter is almost 8 and has been begging to shoot. I had her shoot her grandpa's 22 and I just bought a Marlin 22 for her and her 3 bothers to shoot as they grow up. A 22 is lighter and easier for her to hold and learn gun safety when she can think about where she's pointing it rather than struggle to hold it. I also suggest having her watch some videos of field dressing game on youtube so you know if she can handle that or at least get used to (desensitized?) it.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:49 pm

The .308 should be an excellent choice. Savage isn't known for heavy recoil, and certainly the .308 cartridge is a very manageable round for youngsters. If she's the typical size of an average 9 year old these days, she should be plenty big enough to handle that rifle, especially with the field pod. If she's interested and has the desire, then by all means get her started and don't waste any of the enthusiasm on plinking cans with a .22, when she can actually kill a deer instead! I'd imagine once she shoots that Savage, you'll be looking for a new rifle for yourself, since she's going to claim that one for herself since you'll have a new hunting buddy.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

richdevlin761

Postby richdevlin761 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Definitely take her hunting, but I wouldn't start her on a high power rifle. I would start her shooting a small caliber and let her work up on her pace.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Guys, plinking cans, isn't hunting! If the kid wants to deer hunt, then by all means let her deer hunt! Take her to the range and let her shoot the .308 and see how she reacts, if she can handle it why waste time when she can actually be hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started at nine, shooting an old LeFevre .12 gauge double. I started my step grandson at 5 with a .22 just to teach him about guns; then at 8 I took him into the woods with a .20 gauge and in a ground blind with a .243. He's been killing deer ever since and now shoots a 3" .12 gauge and a .7mm-08. BTW, he'll be 17 in January and is the captain of his NJROTC rifle team.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Best Practices