2013 Hunting Report

Animal

Re: 2013 Hunting Report

Postby Animal » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:19 pm

I hunt in the Pierce County area.

I was out Monday and Tuesday night this week. Both nights I have been rattling hard and often (like every 10mins).

Monday, I was out for about 2hr 30min. I rattled every 10mins. Nothing happened till about 4:00. I had a nice 8 pt., probably 2 1/2 yr old, walk under my stand at 10yds. As my dad likes to say, I coulda shot him about 15 times. He was on the move and obviously coming in to check out what the racket was about. He didn't look like he was looking for a fight, mostly just curious. About 15mins later, after another rattling sequence, I had two bucks come in together. One was just a little button buck, but he was grunting and cruising along. Again, he seemed to be curious about the racket. I didn't get a very good look at the other buck, but I think he was a small, probably 2 1/2 yr old, 8 pt. It was for sure a different 8 pt. than the 1st one. About 15mins. before the end of shooting light, I saw a small doe just eating her way past.

Tuesday, I was in stand for just over 3hrs. I didn't see a thing. I thought it would be a good night; overcast, fairly cold, snow coming that night. The wind was a little shifty, which may have hurt me a little. Still, nothing responded to my rattling.

I think things are just starting to happen in Pierce county. I think the little bucks I saw on Monday might have been jumping the gun a little, with the big boys holding off till things actually get started.

I'm heading out tonight. It should be good. Clear, fairly cold, N shifting to W wind. Should be a good night. I will report back.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Since I haven't made the leap to bow hunting, the month of November is maddening to me waiting for the gun season to open up. I had some time to kill on Tuesday morning around 9:30. I'm still rather new to hunting and havent had a ton of interactions with deer, so I grabbed my bleat can and grunt tube and headed out to Pike Lake State Park in Washington County just to tinker around a bit. This park doesn't allow hunting, so there are quite a few deer on this land and figured I'd stumble across some deer. I walked around for about 30 minutes checking sign, then found a little watering hole that had tracks everywhere. I found a rock to sit on with some cover and started bleating and grunting for about a half hour, nothing came in. Decided to continue walking, walked about 200 yards and kicked one up, and it ran off. I quickly hid behind a HUGE oak tree (probably 5 feet in diameter) and gave a couple of bleat/grunt sequences. After about 5 minutes, I heared some crunching, poked my head around the trunk of the tree, and saw a nice tall 7 pointer looking my way about 50 yards from me. I grunted a few times, then hit the can again, the can really got his attention and he started walking right for me. I was downwind from him and only about 20 yards from him at this point, then he started walked around the tree to try to get downwind from me. It worked, he smelled me and bolted out. Hit the can a couple more times, a minute later, here he comes again trotting right back in. Pretty much the same sequence, this time a couple of staredowns with me before he walked off. It was about time for me to get going, but I figured I'd hit the bleat can one more time just to see if I could get him to come back again, sure enough, here he comes for the third time. Really needing to get going at this point, so I got pretty aggresive with my grunt calls to see if I could get a different reaction from him, but I really didnt, just a couple of stomps and he ran off. Pretty fun morning and got me my deer fix that I wont be getting for a few more weeks.

Animal

Postby Animal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 am

I didn't have much luck last night. I saw a doe at 2:40, but nothing else all night. The wind was swirling a little, which may have screwed me up.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Happy to shoot this buck yesterday. Not my biggest buck, but every deer is a trophy. It was a great hunt. Great wind, encounter, shot, and recovery. Good luck to all of you.

Jimmer
Attachments
image (6).jpeg
image (6).jpeg (390.57 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

Animal

Postby Animal » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:04 am

Hey, nice buck! Congrats!

I'm heading out tonight as well as tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I will have some success to.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 pm

Not much for mature bucks moving by me, lots of corn still up.

Was able to harvest 2 mature does, one Sunday night, and one this morning before work. 1 field near me came down Wednesday night, and tonight I saw 32 does and fawns in that field. Still need to shoot a lot more does to get this population around me down. Can't imagine what the standing corn fields have in them as far as deer go. I'm sure I'll get my chance at a buck during late season with the weather we have rolling in here this weekend, but that's part of the fun.

Outlook gloomy for the gun season because of all of the standing corn, but I guess I'll take some shots at some does if I get an opportunity.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Looks good, Jimbo! Congrats!
Semper Fidelis!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Here are a few public land does I harvested so far this season. No bucks yet. Seen some, but mostly small young ones. Haven't had too much time to hunt this season. Good luck to the gun hunters next weekend and late season archers.

I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:19 am

Congrats, slots. My hunting has been crippled for the last several years by lack of transportation, and funding. I took possession of my truck finally, and should be able to get out myself, for the rest of the season. This coming weekend will be my first sit of the season. I hope i have as much success. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 am

After seeing more black bears within a mile of my house (north of Brule) this year than ever before, and thus having virtually no deer on my property, I am starting to see deer sign again. Also finally seeing deer in fields - for many months the deer were not to be seen anywhere! Black bears have been a problem for many up my way - the theory is that many migrated up after the very large fire last year near Solon Springs. Or DNR just giving too few permits. Or both. At any rate, hoping to see a few next week. My son, who did not get a bow license this year cause there was no point, will hopefully get a deer with the gun. During gun I like to hunt our own land.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin