Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

buckinrut

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby buckinrut » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I have watched it over the past 2 years to see what others were reporting. I finally decided to register an account to give my insight on what is going on with the Rut activity.

I am a very avid bow hunter of 20 years and this time of year I pretty much spend Wednesday through Sundays down at my hunting property outside of Modesto Illinois which is in Macoupin County.

Just want to chime in on what I am seeing. As everyone knows it is about to bust loose so get out there. Over the past 2 weeks we have seen the bucks start to push the does. Most are smaller bucks, but have had a couple nice 8 points come out to check in and join in on the action. Most action has been at Sunset. The morning hunts have sucked for the most part as far as activity and that is because of the corn not being taken out.

Our woods still has 1 huge cornfield that needs taken out and the connecting neighbor propery to the east and north still has corn. That should all change this week after the rain moves through and they finish taking that out.

I will tell you that I have seen rut activity back home the past couple of days. I live up in Springfield out on the lake. There is a huge deer populations out here which can't be hunted.

Today I saw a buck freshening a scrape at 1 P.M. right off the road. Tonight I had a group of does move through my front yard and one of them sniffed on a tree which the bucks had been starting to rub. Shortly after that, a young 8 point came through and rubbed the same tree for about 5 minutes. All of this while I looked out my front door. Oh well, they all get a free pass since I am in the city limits.

I am heading back down to true deer country tomorrow for 5 days of hunting. Looking forward to being an active member on this forum and posting what has happened over the coming weeks.

Hunt Hard and Stay Strong!!

deerhunter1

Postby deerhunter1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Anybody else in Central Illinois not seeing deer? I had many encounters with them early season, but starting around the 25 of October the deer activity stopped :|. Usually the rut is starting up by now, but nothing is happening.

stu27

Postby stu27 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 am

The deer activity on the farm I hunt here in Central IL has bascially gone from limited to nothing over the past week. I'm not seeing as many deer out in the fields when driving either. I'm heading to the ground I hunt in Pike Co tomorrow morning until Monday. Hoping that there's a little more going on down that way. I have heard from a couple of friends that hunt over in western IL that bucks are starting to chase. Still the smaller boys, but hoping that's a sign for a good weekend to come.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 am

Got out for several sits over the last 4 day weekend.

Friday morning I hunted a bottom stand that I hadn't hunted much over the last 2 seasons. I try to save it for the rut hoping to catch bucks crusing along the creek looking for does. Got to the stand about 30 minutes before legal shooting light and bumped a deer as soon as I dropped over the edge of the ravine. About 7:30 I spotted a doe moving through on the other side of the creek, and about 30 minutes later heard a deer blow several times and double back from the direction the doe went. Sat until 10 am with not other deer sightings. Had family stuff, so I didn't get out again until Sunday afternoon.

Got in stand Sunday afternoon about 2:45 pm. Did some rattling and blind calling as soon as things settled down. About 3:15 I heard a racket in the timber across the field. I saw a deer running, and then I saw that he had a rack. I hit the bleat call twice and he stopped. Over the next 5 minutes I'd hit the call every time he started to move away. He finally decided to check me out. He popped out of the timber and into the chisel plowed field directly across from me at 75 yds and came straight at me on a trot. I got a look at his rack--outside the ears and TALL... I figured at least a 10, so I decided to shoot if possible. I got my bow drawn when he hit 30 yards, and I gave him a "meh" to stop him when he turned almost all the way broadside at somewhere around 15 yards. I settled my pin and let my arrow fly. I watched the arrow arc towards the buck as he dropped an amazing amount, allowing my arrow to pass right over his back. He took off down the field for about 100 yards and stopped short. I was not happy with myself.

Saw 3 more does across the creek, and another doe on a run (I assume she was being chased by a buck that I didn't see) down the field edge. I saw another nice buck for about 3 seconds as he was headed off (I'm assuming after the doe that had come through earlier). Right at dusk 3 turkeys cruised through the field at about 70 yards and meandered on down to the creek.

Monday afternoon... got to stand about 1:30. Looked around for my arrow and found it about 4 feet beyond the clump of hair that I shaved off the buck's back from the shot the day before. Made me feel a little better about the shot, because he dropped a lot and fast when I shot. I'm thinking I should have given him a second or two to relax after stopping him. It's never good to rush a shot. I'm just glad it was a mostly clean miss with no blood drawn. Sat until about 3:45 when the drizzle turned into honest to goodness rain and I couldn't take it anymore. No deer sighted.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:20 pm

That sucks Deebz, but I would prefer a clean miss to a bad hit any day.

November 8, 2013.

I went to my campground stand getting settled in about 3:00. About 3:40 I had a small 6 point move through about 60 yards to my west. He was cruising. Just after 4pm I had a button buck come in on my east. He wondered around me grazing in the timber and at one time was directly under my stand. He settled in about 20 yards behind me to the North. About 4:30 I saw another buck approaching from the north. At first I thought it was a spike I have several pictures of, but as it neared closer I could see that it was a fairly wide 8 point that just didn't have much tine. He came in to check out the button still grazing, and offered me a 20 yard broadside shot, but I just couldn't do it. He still has potential to be a nice deer. They both wandered off back to the north towards the creek. Almost 5, I caught wind of a doe. I couldn't see her, but it smelled like someone just poured out a bottle of Tinks 69. A few minutes later a little 6 pointer busted her out from where she was standing a mere 20 yards from me. She was behind a tree and some shrubs where I couldn't see her. That was it for the night. A beautiful calm fall evening.

I pulled the card from my camera and actually have a pic of the wide short tined buck...

Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:20 pm

November 10, 2013.

I made it back out on Sunday after noon. Another beautiful fall day the 25 MPH winds we had on Saturday had finally mellowed. I was walking in to the stand we call the killing stand, when I busted a bedded doe in a small CRP field. I walked on to my stand, and just as I was about to start climbing, another deer, which I never did see, busted from some thick willows about 40 yards from my stand. At this point I'm thinking this is going to be a waste of time, but I climb up in my stand anyways. I hang my bow on a hook and my quiver on a nail, and I'm standing facing the tree, attempting to get the strap from my safety harness out when I hear something, and turn around and see a 6 point walking out of a trail into my little food plot right towards me. He walked by at about 12 yards and went down another trail that goes south of my stand over my left shoulder. 3 deer, and I haven't sat down yet.

So I finally get settled in and I hear something go through the creek that is 80 yards north of me, but where this stand is located, I can't see that far. I basically have a 25 yard circle cut out in front of me. with two mowed trails running into it, one from the south the other from the west, and an open corn field to my back in the east. Other than that I am surrounded by dense stands of willows and cotton woods. A little later I again hear something in the creek, and a few minutes later a button buck emerges from the creek direction out into the corn field behind me. I watch him mull around for a while when all of a sudden he jumps and runs off. I'm not sure why, but when I look there is a doe standing in the mowed trail to the west. She was very cautious, entered the edge of my shooting area, and while I was prepared to shoot her, she never offered me a good angle, and wondered off down the trail north away from me towards the creek.

About 15 minutes has gone by, and I can hear what I presume is that doe over towards the creek, when all of a sudden I hear something over my left shoulder on the south trail. Without moving my head I can see out of the corner of my eye that there is a deer standing at the edge of the food plot. At about that time it took off on a trot in a direct line towards where that doe had just gone, I saw that it was a nice buck, drew as he passed under a limb, bleated as he cleared and he stopped broadside at 20 yards. I told myself to focus on the spot not the pin, and breathing out I touched the trigger on my release and watched as my G5 tipped arrow melted into his side. He jumped and took off down the trail east into the willows disappearing from my sight. It was so calm and the leaves were crunchy that I could hear him as he went down the trail, then I heard what sounded like a crash into the trees. I waited about half hour, climbed down to find my blood soaked arrow stuck into the ground just behind where he stood and locate a good blood trail going down the path. While I thought I heard him crash, I decided to back out, give him a little time. So I went down the road to my brothers house and enlisted a little help and came back later.

About 3 hours later I returned with my brother. We picked up the blood and it was easy to follow. Turns out he only went about 50 yards and was piled up in some willows right where I thought I had heard him crash.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Awesome buck BigHorse! Looks like a HUGE body. That double throat patch is pretty sweet as well.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:08 pm

He was a pig!

My brother and I aren't necessarily small guys and he was a handful to get into my truck.

I don't have a scale big enough to weigh him but I would say he was easily 250, probably pushing 300.

Hanging from the 10 ft high rafters in my shed he almost stretched to the ground.

I love the double patch too. That's the 3rd buck I can think of that we've killed off that property that's had that.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:25 pm

A beautiful animal, and a well done hunt. It sounds like you did everything just right. well done Sir. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Very nice, big horse. Sounds like you have a honey of a hunting spot! Well done!
Semper Fidelis!

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois