Big Salute To All Veterans

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

Big Salute To All Veterans

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 pm

This Veteran's Day let's all give a big THANK YOU to all who have served! (The year's not accurate but the day and the sentiment certainly are!)
vetsday10.jpg
vetsday10.jpg (183.51 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Re: Big Salute To All Veterans

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Woods, I've always appreciated your diligence in always supporting our Veterans. We should always respect them and what they have done for us.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:27 pm

You know it!

The young man that works for me is a 6 year Marine vet with 2 combat tours under his belt in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm taking him to lunch tomorrow! (He's an also an avid deer hunter!)

I asked him once if he was shot at much during his tours, and he replied, "Hell yeah, just about everytime we went on patrol, especially in Afghanistan!"

People like him deserve our gratitude EVERY DAY of the year, not just on November 11th.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't mean to beat my own drum, but I am an Army veteran of Vietnam and am telling you this to illustrate a sad point of reality. I needed to do some shopping for some deer hunting toys today (Veteran's Day) at a couple of sporting goods store and our local mall. I wore my Army hat with my military insignias that obviously denoted me as a veteran. I purposely made eye contact with a number of people during my trip and do you know how many people acknowledged my service. Yep, nobody...not a single soul. In my life, other than family and friends, maybe 2 or 3 strangers have ever said anything to me. It's sad really.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Look at it this way....folks like you and other veterans did such a great job defending our freedom and way of life that many of the people here just take it for granted that they are free. It maybe a backhanded compliment, but if you think about it it does have validity to it. That doesn't excuse their lack of showing gratitute of course, but like your children and as a parent you don't want your kids to know want or fear.

Just know that there ARE some of us that do appreciate what you and many others like you have done for us.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:56 am

I thank anyone in uniform, or anyone who I find has served, everyday. Not just one day a year. I bought a veteran's lunch yesterday, and I am both poorer and richer for doing so.
Thank you for your service.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 am

I've had 2 brothers serve active duty in Iraq/Afghanistan, along with a number of cousins and a multitude of former students who went into some branch ofmilitary. There are no words available to convey the appreciation I have for all who don a uniform in the defense and protection of our country.

On a happy note, my big brother (Served in Iraq with National Guard 2002-2003 time frame) was lucky enough to kill a really nice 8 point yesterday. Easiest tracking job ever... it ran to 20 yards from my other brothers stand and fell over dead...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 am

I won't beleaguer my point, but I do understand that there are many who do support veterans, I just don't understand why it seems so difficult for some to express it when they have the opportunity.
Kellory I hope you understand what an impact your generosity has. Somebody paid for my drink at an airport bar in 68 and I vividly recall it today as if it was yesterday. That small gesture I will never forget.

Return to Off Topic