New Bow hunter....

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Emokid711

New Bow hunter....

Postby Emokid711 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:47 pm

So its my first year bow hunting... .and i'm not sure what im doing wrong.... But it seems to be a large joke now. I am seeing more deer when i go scouting or putting out bait, than i do from my stand.... Help! My scent control is good... im picky as hell about where i keep my clothes and when i change into them.... so what am i doing wrong?

MZS

Re: New Bow hunter....

Postby MZS » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Are you downwind from the deer when you hunt? Are the deer coming in during the day, or at night?

You say you see deer when putting out bait? This tells me you might be baiting at their feeding time. The best time to bait is midday (10-3). Ideally you do not want to run into deer. And you can make this a 3 or 4 day hunting cycle. Bait for a few days and then hunt. Then move on. If you are baiting day after day, especially in late day, they will catch on and learn to hit it after dark.

If this is private land, you might want to get a cheap day cam - Primos Truth DPS Cam cameras take photos every 10 seconds during the day and are selling cheap at Dicks Sporting Goods ($40) - I am on my 3rd year with one now so it is a good value. This type of information will tell you a lot about what is happening.

Emokid711

Postby Emokid711 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm

I play the wind. I when i go out walking i go out mid day, same with baiting..... but just seem to consistantly kick deer up , but never see them from the stand.

MZS

Postby MZS » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Sounds like you are walking through their bedding area. You need to change stands to a different location as the deer are on to you. They probably hear you go into your stand and know exactly where you are. Then they wait for you to leave. For baiting, staying more by the edges is better since you are tramping in and out frequently. You want a place where you can walk in fairly assured that you will not kick up bedded down deer. Find a new spot closer in from the edge, that still has deer trails and sign and is still close to cover.

pauldmitchell13

Postby pauldmitchell13 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 am

Emokid711 wrote:So its my first year bow hunting... .and i'm not sure what im doing wrong.... But it seems to be a large joke now. I am seeing more deer when i go scouting or putting out bait, than i do from my stand.... Help! My scent control is good... im picky as hell about where i keep my clothes and when i change into them.... so what am i doing wrong?

Hey, best of luck for your bow hunting. Why it would be a joke??? You are not doing anything wrong. Don't lose your heart.

Return to General Discussions