Unique Ohio Buck

Weekend Woodsmen

Unique Ohio Buck

Postby Weekend Woodsmen » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:25 am

My buddy and I were able to bag this very unique double main beam buck. We got him on 11/9, and that day happened to be the only day this year where we had seen any rutting activity. Has anyone else been seeing rutting activity? We have been pretty depressed about the lack of rut this year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t031TDtJfyw
Last edited by Weekend Woodsmen on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ohio farms

Re: Unique Ohio Buck

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Good tracking job and nice buck too.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Nice tracking job, gentlemen.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Weekend Woodsmen

Postby Weekend Woodsmen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks guys! We played that one strictly by the books. Only reason we went so far on the initial trail was because we knew he had circled back and I could show my buddy how to track and get a better idea of what we were dealing with. Still eventually ran out of blood and came back the next morning after rain washed everything away and started scouring the area staying close to water and heading in the same general direction he was headed. Luckily the land owner was nice enough to let us track him over there. Found him on a trail coming from the creek headed to a pond. Never laid down one time, looked like he just plopped over while walking. Based on the sign we saw I kept saying I think you clipped liver and lung, and sure enough after gutting that is exactly what it was (along with stomach)...still went probably 6+ hours before expiring, which goes to show when it doubt back out!

Return to Ohio