I shot a buck tonight, but...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ohio farms

I shot a buck tonight, but...

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 pm

As light was fading tonight, I shot a buck who was standing broadside. He ran for about 3 seconds and I heard him crash and I didn't see him run after the crash. I waited about 15 minutes then walked to where he was standing when I shot. I looked in the direction that he ran and I saw him lying 30 yds away. Light was fading fast and I could see that he was lying on him belly and his tines were pointing up. (Now, I'll add that the leaves were dry and crunchy as I walked to the spot he stood when I shot, so he had to hear me coming) When I saw him he did not move, but I could not really be sure that he was dead so I backed out as quietly as I could. I decided to leave him there overnight and return at daybreak.
Here is my thinking...He crashed a few seconds after the shot. Doubt gut shot or liver hit since it has been my experience that they don't crash and usually go farther than 30 yds. (It did feel like a good shot when I took it, but I didn't see the impact spot) The fact that he did not try to stand as I approached tells me that he was mortally wounded...he had to know that I was there. Superficial wounds don't lie down that soon.
I think that leaving was the safest thing to do. I'm pretty sure that he will be were I left him.
What do you guys think. I'm going to have a long restless night. 70% chance of thunderstorms in the morning. Temps overnight in the lower 40"s
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Meules37

Re: I shot a buck tonight, but...

Postby Meules37 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:24 am

Sounds like the right thing to do. Seems like checking on him would've pushed him, and with fading light and rain on the way, blood trailing in the AM would be tough. Get out there at first light and hopefully he'll be where you left him. Good luck!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:01 am

I hope you are right. It's 5am Sunday and I can't sleep anymore. My brother is due here in an hour then we will head to the farm. Not raining yet.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:54 am

Well first off I sure hope he's there when you return.

If it were me, I'd have shot him again for "insurance". You didn't mention it but were his eyes open or closed? That's a biggie, and if they are closed shoot again no question. If they're open then you need to watch them and see if they blink or move. A dead animal's eyes also glaze over a bit also, especially after 15 minutes after death.

The other reason why I'd of shot again is that here in Illinois the "coyote factor" is a big one. A dead deer many times will not last the night here.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:58 pm

DSCN1504.jpg
DSCN1504.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
DSCN1510.jpg
DSCN1510.jpg (84.32 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
I GOT him. He was not where I had last seen him and I was feeling pretty lousy, but when I looked around I found him 20 yds away. Apparently, he tried to get up and fell after 20 yds. The leaves were all torn up where he fell the second time. I'm a pretty happy camper right now...big smile.
As it turned out it was a single lung shot. Hopefully I am able to download the pics.
Woods, light was fading last night and I was unable to see his eyes. Oddly, this morning when i found him his eyes were closed. I've never seen a dead deer with his eyes closed before.. Maybe he closed them and then died. As for coyotes, we don't have a big problem here. It was a risk/benefits decision.
I'm going to try to post pics

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Why not just shoot him again? If nothing else, it put's 'em out of their misery. Since I'm strictly a gun hunter and especially a shotgun hunter with the hounds, I always cap 'em in the head with a pistol round to finish 'em off if they aren't stone dead when I walk up to 'em. With the rifle, I shoot 'em in the neck for the most part and that way they're dead before they hit the ground. BTW, I've never seen a dead deer with closed eyes, either.

Anyhow, glad you found him that would have been a hell of a waste if you hadn't found him..........and it must be nice not to have a 'yote problem!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:53 pm

I didn't want to shoot him again in bad light with a bow at a distance that I was unsure of. He was also lying down not offering the best of shots. My concern was that if my follow up shot was not good all it would do is push him to get up and run. If it was shotgun season, I definitely would have shot again.
I'm glad that it turned out well too.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:57 pm

WAY TO GO!!! Here's a real dandy!

But the closed eye thing IS an odd one! I've never encountered that before.

Glad you got him!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Nice one! The only thing I can think of for the eyes being closed is that he fell asleep and then died, but you said the ground was all torn up around him. Strange it is. Congrats again!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks everybody. Yea, that closed eye thing was odd.

Next

Return to General Discussions