I shot a buck tonight, but...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
MZS

Re: I shot a buck tonight, but...

Postby MZS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:50 am

It was smart not to rush the deer - could have bounded a few hundred yards or more and make tracking tough. With the coyotes and bears we have around us, I would have given it a few hours and then tracked I think - would not want the varmints to chew up that nice deer. Or maybe just stop and wait where you were. At any rate, Good Work!

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 am

In Ohio, that grace shot would get you arrested. Unless you used the same weapon. Ohio does not allow for more than one weapon. (Dumb deer law) only exception is a CCW. And that can not be used for any hunting purpose. Only to defend yourself.
Beauty of a deer Sir, well done.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 am

Nice deer :-) Glad it all worked out for you and you got him. Want some of our coyotes? We have many to spare! Hehe
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:08 am

Ohio
Congratulations on an awesome buck.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:20 am

I do carry a CCW most of the time and am aware of that rule Kellory. The follow up shot would have been right at the end of shooting time, but it was just too iffy with a bow. Everything turned out well in the end. If I had to do it all over again, would I do it the same? In hindsight...yea, I think so. I have lost a deer or two by pushing them too soon. It's hard to leave, but sometimes it's the right thing to do. (Now if I was concerned about predators, I would have only waited a few hours)
Thanks for the offer Sierra, but I'll pass on the coyotes.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:21 am

NICE BUCK! So glad you recovered him so easily as well.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks Deebs. Another piece of the puzzle. In the picture of the deer by itself, which is how I found him, his front legs are frozen tucked, as if he was lying on his abdomen when he died. He was lying 10 ft or so from the kicked leaves.
My brother and I are going to go back to the spot and see if we can put it together. Lots of wind today so the leaves will have moved.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:00 pm

I noticed the legs bent like that too, had me thinking he may have been laying there, fell asleep, and died in his sleep. Nice and peaceful.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Dang, I've killed well over 400-deer and I have never seen one with closed eyes. That is really odd.

Topdogg

Postby Topdogg » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Congratulations

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions