WI Crossbow Law Almost Final

MZS

WI Crossbow Law Almost Final

Postby MZS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:57 pm

According toe http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors ... 03281.html the crossbow law is a signature away from passing, and the governor is expected to sign. I will be getting one as I hunt from the ground - it will nice to be set up at 30 yds instead of 20 yds. Perfect timing for me - I was needing a new bow. And not getting any younger!

wilmer thrun

Re: WI Crossbow Law Almost Final

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:45 am

Yes in 2014 you can become a crossbow hunter and stop being a bowhunter. You will have your own season and license and registration. For my tastes, I will continue to be a bowhunter. I have no intrest in becoming a crossbower. The bill should be signed in early Dec and we can put this whole debate behind us. WI will now have bowhunters and crossbowers. I think this bill was an outstanding compromise and structured very well.

fullrut

Postby fullrut » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Does this mean they will be sharing the woods with Bow Hunters ?
If So : It is a sad day in the history of Wi hunting.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm

For the first 2 years yes. In order to establish their impacts on the herd and public opinion. After that the start date and length of the crossbow season will be determined separately of real bowhunting. If crossbowers are taking a disproportionate number of deer and/or the public opinion of the crossbower is that the season needs adjusting, then that will take place. Not to fear. Nobody in WI will confuse a crossbower with real bowhunters. Thats why is was very wise to do unlike any other state and make them separate so they can be managed separaretly without negative impacts to bowhunting.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 pm

gentlemen, this is becoming tedious.

A few facts to get straight first.
1) Most crossbow are good out to about 50 yards max. I have two, and the longest effective range is 45 yards. I have a Barnett demon and a Horton. the Horton has the longer range. (Yes, there are a few high dollar crossbows on the market, that will reach out to 100 yards in the hands of an expert, but they are NOT the average hunting crossbow.)

2) The crossbow has been around in one form or another since 400BC (look up "belly-bow" if you doubt it)
it is a fine weapon with an impressive history. And nearly everything about the design of long guns, come from what was learned from crossbows.Not the other way around.

3)I hunt with rifle, shotgun, sabot gun, crossbow, longbow, compound, and even a slingshot. I am every bit as much a bowman as either of you,

4) crossbow is a bow. by it's physics, by it's history, and by it's very nature, no matter what your state has decided to classify it. My state calls a bow a firearm, and you are forbidden to use it inside city limits without special permits for park lands, (though many still do). That does not change the fact it is a bow, not a firearm.

5) there IS NO APPRECIABLE DIFFERENCE in the deer taken with crossbow, and those taken with longbow or compound. We use them all here with no difficulty, and no runaway winner in method. It is all bow hunting, and NO ONE get bent out of shape about it, like the crap I hear slung between the WI factions. it is an argument without merit. Wounded deer happen, no matter the method, and any responsible hunter tracks his kill to the best of his ability, no matter the weapon used.

6) this is an open forum. Open to all hunting, though mostly focused on deer hunting. And there are MANY methods to hunt them. Dogs are used in some states, but not others. Does that make them bad? No. some people prefer drives over still hunting, does that make them wrong? No. Some swear by a special camo pattern or call. Does that make them wrong? No, it may work for them. I'm tired of hear stupid comments about other groups of people because of the weapon they choose to use. It is a non-linear argument, it does not flow from one to the other. It is not cause and effect.

7) If you think this kind of talk or this kind of attitude toward other hunters using a perfectly legal and ethical method, is in any way helping our sport, you are mistaken. I am not suggesting "a united front against all the anti's use against us" type of approach, but one of tolerance for a method that may not be your own, but works for another hunter. A crossbow is a tool, just like another tool. Just like a bow, or a gun, it is a tool used by a hunter to kill game, and the tool says absolutely NOTHING about the character of that hunter.

You gentlemen slander a fine weapon, and assign character flaws to an entire class of hunter, based solely upon his choice of weapon. That is outrageous. :x
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 pm

kellory wrote:7) If you think this kind of talk or this kind of attitude toward other hunters using a perfectly legal and ethical method, is in any way helping our sport, you are mistaken. I am not suggesting "a united front against all the anti's use against us" type of approach, but one of tolerance for a method that may not be your own, but works for another hunter. A crossbow is a tool, just like another tool. Just like a bow, or a gun, it is a tool used by a hunter to kill game, and the tool says absolutely NOTHING about the character of that hunter.

You gentlemen slander a fine weapon, and assign character flaws to an entire class of hunter, based solely upon his choice of weapon. That is outrageous. :x

Huh? No slander. In WI a crossbows is a statutoraly different weapon than a real bow. Crossbowers (Im assuming thats what they will call themselves) will have their own season and license and registration separate of real bowhunters. Thats a good thing. As for "tolerance" I suggest crossbowers will be tolerated. They will not however be bowhunters in the state of WI. The statutes and separaton are clear on that point. So are bowhunters clear on this point. Nobody is suggesting crossbows are bad or that crossbowers are bad. By using the crossbow they are not skydivers and they are not deep sea divers and they are not bowhunters. They will be crossbowers and crossbowers and real bowhunters will not be mistaken for one another.

The weapons are different enough to warrant such clean separation. You most definitely wont see real bowhunters trying to pass themselves off as crossbowers. They will correctly call themself bowhunters but I suggest there will a segment of the crossbowers that will mistakingly try to pass themselves off as bowhunters when they are no such thing. P&Y and the NABC and all the state bowhunting orgs understand this and so does the WI legislature and the hunting community. Again. Nothing wrong with being a crossbower even if real bowhunting is there for the taking. It will be up to the person to make up their mind what they want to be. For my tastes I will be a bowhunter using a bow and arrow. Others may take up the crossbow if they are not up to the challenge of the bow and arrow. Good for them. This law makes it an option for them. ;)

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Elitists always end up digging themselves into a hole.

Hopefully this time instead of helping them get them out, we'll just fill the hole back in and be done with it.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 am

Useless prattle adding zero value to the converstation. You may as well have posted "

coffee table french toast bitter watermelon.

"Elitist" is a term that the jealous use because they are not capable of being a member of the community they decry so they try to disparage that community with hollow tripe. Fail!

In all actuality, being and elitist and discriminating are good things. It used to be (and still is) laudable to have discriminating tastes and elite in your field. Somehow the jealous have tried to turn these into negatives. They have failed. Proud to be an elite and to have discriminating tastes. Try it, you might like it. But be warned, it takes a lot of work and commitment and practice and dedication. If these things are not for you you can always try to use the term “elitist” as a negative to soothe your bruised ego. Try taking up bowhunting Dan. You might like it. If its a bit too much for you there is always crossbowing. ;)

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:13 am

I've never shot a crossbow, and as of this moment, have zero intention of ever doing so. That said, I am agnostic towards weapon choice. Whatever legal method you prefer, have at it.

I understand why there is tension here in Wisconsin over the crossbow season. Same thing (but less bipartisan) happened when compounds slowly overtook recurves as the weapon of choice. Different, but akin in my mind.

I am not sure if crossbows will be a more effective means of killing deer than compounds. If so, season structures, lengths, limits, etc. will have to be adjusted. Three seasons should be adequate time to evaluate that. My guess is the harvest numbers won't change all that much. My assumption is most crossbow hunters will be former bowhunters who have switched weapons. If however, a significant number of hunters who never bowhunted join the crossbow ranks, then there could be an impact on harvest. We'll see.

Being a huge fan of the ultra long bow season here in Wisconsin, my fear would be anything that reduces the numbers of day I can spend afield with my bow in pursuit of deer.

Jimbo

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 am

Correct Jimbow but I think you will also see a good number of gun only hunters that will become crossbowers. What will happen in the 2 year evaluation is that real bowhunter numbers will decline because as you suggest there will be a fair number of bowhunters that will not want to be bowhunters any longer and they will switch to being crossbowers. This decline in the number of real bowhunters will come with a decline in harvest for bowhunters.

At the same time, the number of crossbowers will grow rapidly as will their kills. What the public and the DNR and the legislature will see is a clear data set of real bowhunters and crossbowers and their numbers in terms of participation and success rates (thanks to this new law being structured so well so as to gather this data) That will allow the state to determine the impacts of crossbowing and the state and the public will determine the future of crossbowing. One thing is for sure, the gun deer hunters wont have a beef with real bowhunters as their participation numbers and harvest numbers will be on the decline so they wont have the ability to blame real bowhunters for the kill numbers or have a desire to shorten the bowhunting season since it wont be bowhunters as a cause for a spike in the buck harvest. If gun hunters have a beef with a spike in the buck kill prior to the annual gun hunt, we will now have the ability to know the success rates of real bowhunters and that of crossbowers. Others states made the mistake of just lumping crossbowers with bowhunters losing the ability to determine usage and success rates that are credible. WI got it right. Thats why this took so long. It was worth it to get it right. :D

Having a separate season and separate license and separate registration data clear statutory difference between crossbows and bows (and bowhunters and crossbowers) was a really smart way for WI to structure this so as to not negatively impact bowhunters and bowhunting.

Legislators hoped to satisfy constituents wanting to become crossbowers.

The DNR wanted to protect and properly manage the resource.

Crossbow proponents wanted to use a new weapon.

Bowhunters and their org wanted to preserve and protect the bow season.

Retailers wanted to add sales of crossbows to the list of weapons they market.

I think this new law satisfies all parties. The only one left out and bound to be impacted is the gun deer hunting community who will be watching the next 2 years to see the impacts by crossbowers to the buck population prior to the gun deer season. Because the crossbow season and bowhunting are so cleanly separated, crossbowers should also have a concern for their future. If it grows too fast and the buck kill spikes (its almost a given it will and the buck kill by real bowhunters will go down) then the public will tell the legislature and the DNR what they want done about it but the solution WONT be to shorten the real bow season since it wont be the cause of the increased buck kill.

Next

Return to Wisconsin