Count Down to Opening Day

deerbeans

Re: Count Down to Opening Day

Postby deerbeans » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 pm

wilmer thrun wrote:A CC resolution to move the gun deer opener back to the end of Nov. Great idea! Thanks for the tip I will get to work on that for next spring. Iowa has a Dec. gun season opener. That would be outstanding. 8-)

Next year bowhunters wont have to vacate the woods on the Friday prior to the gun opener. Thats another great improvement and adds another day of rut bowhunting before the gun hunters blast away and wound a bunch of deer. Its sad seeing all the shot off legs and hanging shot off jaws and finding all the dead deer gun hunters wounded and left for dead when Im bowhunting the late season. Gun hunters do a great deal of good feeding the wolf and coyote population with all the deer they leave dead in the woods unrecovered.

We have plenty of wolf food donated by bow hunters. One of the does, our bow hunters shot, was gut shot by another bow hunter, that
didn't bother to track it. We found two other antlerless deer dead from arrow wounds, and several kill sights, that the wolves made
it hard to do an autopsy on. There was a broken arrow, with a broadhead, about 20 yards from one of the wolf kill sites.

From my view, this snobbery of bow hunting elites is a figment of their imagination.

But I guess you maybe on to something, with the CC resolutions. I think both have been made before, and neither have had enough
support to get to the WDNR. So I guess next year, I will just get a crossbow. :twisted: Are crossbows good out to 50 yards? :lol:

Deerbeans

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Way further than 50 yards. I expect a lot of gun hunters not up to real bowhunting will become crossbowers next year.

Yes sir, a later start to the gun hunt would make for an outstanding resolution next spring. Thanks for that gem of an idea. ;)

willypete

Postby willypete » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Keep dreaming a December gun deer season won't happen for a long time if ever.

You really think the DNR, that is seriously trying to increase numbers of new younger hunters, would never move it off of thanksgiving week? Kids get of 3 days and a lot of them probably wouldnt get to hunt if it was on a normal week.

Your also facing colder temps...that would scare some people off or make them go out less.

It would be well after the rut making it hard and frustrating making many give up the activity.

Unbelievably how selfish bow hunters can be even recommending changes to hurt the great activity of deer hunting. Some of us don't have time to bow hunt. I own a bow, but just don't have time.

And whoever mentioned gun hunters wounding deer gave me a good laugh. The amount of arrows in deer, broken legs, and blood all over deer each year on my trail camera during bow season is more deer I see all gun deer season. In fact just got on on the trail camera yesterday wounded, good job bow hunter.

While I agree putting the gun season in the middle of the rut would be a bad idea as too many deer would be shot making it later isn't any better. The current set up is amazing and great for everyone.

Gun hunting in Wisconsin woods is just as hard as bow hunting when considering every factor and waaaay harder to shot big bucks. Gun hunting isn't that simple if you have 3 people covering 80acres of thick Wisconsin woods

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:10 pm

willypete wrote:Keep dreaming a December gun deer season won't happen for a long time if ever.

You really think the DNR, that is seriously trying to increase numbers of new younger hunters, would never move it off of thanksgiving week? Kids get of 3 days and a lot of them probably wouldnt get to hunt if it was on a normal week.

Your also facing colder temps...that would scare some people off or make them go out less.

It would be well after the rut making it hard and frustrating making many give up the activity.

Unbelievably how selfish bow hunters can be even recommending changes to hurt the great activity of deer hunting. Some of us don't have time to bow hunt. I own a bow, but just don't have time.

And whoever mentioned gun hunters wounding deer gave me a good laugh. The amount of arrows in deer, broken legs, and blood all over deer each year on my trail camera during bow season is more deer I see all gun deer season. In fact just got on on the trail camera yesterday wounded, good job bow hunter.

While I agree putting the gun season in the middle of the rut would be a bad idea as too many deer would be shot making it later isn't any better. The current set up is amazing and great for everyone.

Gun hunting in Wisconsin woods is just as hard as bow hunting when considering every factor and waaaay harder to shot big bucks. Gun hunting isn't that simple if you have 3 people covering 80acres of thick Wisconsin woods

A gun hunt early in November wouldn't hurt anything other than the entitlement that blowhard elitist WI bow hunters now enjoy. And, for sake of conversation, to my mind, there is a great distinction between the blowhard elitist bow hunter and what I call a bow hunter.

MN has, and continues to, open gun deer seasons on the second Saturday of November every year and guess what, they have over population problems, hunter dissatisfaction problems and distrust of the DNR, just like in WI.

The biggest difference between MN and states like WI, IA and IL with late gun seasons is the P&Y buck counts. WI, IA & IL are the top 3 states for P&Y entries, not surprisingly, because they don't allow gun hunters in the woods during the rut. Yet, MN with gun seasons open during the rut is still #7 on the P&Y entries list. I would venture to say that there are many more bow hunters in the state of MN than in the state of WI.

So, you tell me why the blowhard elitist bow hunters spit and snarl every time it's suggested that the gun season in WI be moved into early November. It's because the blowhard elitist bow hunters would have to work harder (or bait more, I'll let you decide which) to get themselves into position to shoot a trophy to puff up their ego, which is ironic, because when you ask blowhard elitist bow hunters why they do it, the only answer one ever seems to get is "because of the challenge". TFF!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 am

Willypete,

While I understand your intentions are good but your grammar isn't that great...

I bow hunt, and I gun hunt...

I make time for my bow hunting to happen...I might not be a CEO or Facilities worker like you (since you don't have any vacation time to get into the woods during the 4 month season), but we all have vacation time we can make happen to get into the woods and spend some time observing the herd and trying to manage the herd from a distance if we're lucky to get a shot a something we want to shoot and keep things in check regardless of what predators take. (I've shot 2 does already because the population is out of control because people like you just shoot bucks to have some sort of bragging rights to your friends).

My biggest complaint about the average gun hunter is they want bigger bucks to shoot, and bucks to shoot in general, yet you see/hear them at the pubs talking about the buck they shot last year (fork horn if that) or during the Packer game on Sunday, regardless of how cold it is. How many of you gun hunters get on the ground and push deer? The rut has still been in full gear the last few years, and will be again this year. Yet most everyone is sitting in a tree stand or on a bucket when those bucks are locked down with does, not moving an inch. You'd know this if you actually picked up a bow and observed...or just went in the woods from Oct. 15th - Gun Season.

I've bow hunted late season, every year, (and I've gun hunted 7 out of the 9 days, so don't tell me I wouldn't hunt in the cold...because I make people like you look like pansies) and passed bucks you would shoot in a heart beat...because they made it through a season of people like you slinging lead at them regardless of their age just in the hopes that MAYBE...JUST MAYBE they'll put their genes in the pool, and a buck or two like them in the future will make it, and opportunities will continue for not only me, but people I gun hunt with too.

If I shot every fork horn during bow season, I'd be done within the first week. Its true, deer are dumber earlier in the season, but Hunters are also dumber later in the season. Playoffs for the NFL are getting close, and the games start at noon, plus most of the people have a crazy hangover and can't make it to their stand without kicking up every deer that would have been within range had they got to their stand 15 minutes earlier.

Why don't I shoot that fork horn you ask? Well, since I watch wind direction very closely, pay attention to where they bed and feed over time after spending hours on stand I have to worry about getting a shot at a fork horn at 30 yards with my bow...drawing on a deer I'm lucky to get that close is hard enough in itself...taking the safety off on a deer at 100 yards isn't a challenge. Its fun watching deer interact with one another, and not running for their lives. If you've seen half the things I've seen where I bow hunt, most people might respect you or you might not be in a position where you can never take time off to hunt during the bow season. But people like you running your mouths make me sick.

I'm glad you mentioned that bow hunters have it so easy, because that pretty much put you spot on with all gun deer hunters. You want to talk about easy...tell me how hard it is to shoot a deer at 100 yards with a rifle then next year go out bow hunting and shoot that same buck chasing a doe during the rut at 100 yards. The fun is actually seeing them doing natural things, and not running for their lives.

The last thing I will mention here, hopefully to raise some fire, and to prove to you I'm in the best interest of the actual herd around me is the crossbow. I'm glad they passed this law, and hopefully people will take it up. I shoot a bow that is over 16 years old. Most of the bow hunters that do complain about this have modern bows, that can shoot as accurately as crossbows, and have land that is manageable for herds. I've talked to them all, been friends with them for years...only because my standards are the same as them.

I hunt 21 acres, I would love to have a crossbow to get a shot at the deer I pattern year in and year out. Regardless of it shooting 10-15 more yards than what I currently shoot...it won't change what I shoot at. I will continue to shoot does as necessary to keep my local herd to its carrying capacity. Last year I got a 129 7/8ths buck I had been hunting for over 3 years...he didn't grow much year in and year out, but that chase of seeing him every year on camera kept my blood boiling...not just the fact that he had antlers.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:13 am

To all of that have avoided the original question.
You are all that is wrong with deer hunting. Who are any of you to decide what is the best weapon of choice, what deer to shoot, who should get to hunt when, who wounds the most deer blah blah blah. None of our hunting methods are perfect & we keep beating the same issues to death on this forum. Go out & enjoy yourselves this weekend if you are going out, have fun & hand the tradition of deer hunting down to others.
Get rid of the attitude of you are entitled to your own opinion as long as it is mine!
Just my $.02 worth.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

willypete

Postby willypete » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 pm

pickleguy wrote:To all of that have avoided the original question.
You are all that is wrong with deer hunting. Who are any of you to decide what is the best weapon of choice, what deer to shoot, who should get to hunt when, who wounds the most deer blah blah blah. None of our hunting methods are perfect & we keep beating the same issues to death on this forum. Go out & enjoy yourselves this weekend if you are going out, have fun & hand the tradition of deer hunting down to others.
Get rid of the attitude of you are entitled to your own opinion as long as it is mine!
Just my $.02 worth.

This is what I'm trying to get at. They both have there difficulties and advantages. While a gun hunter may have a more accurate weapon that shoots farther a bow hunter gets the most active part of the rut and will get way more chances to shoot a deer than a gun hunter will. Also there are so many ways to do either. There is little to no point for me to do drives where I hunt. It is swampy and thick. I just can't get worthwhile shots to make it seem like a good idea.

Also not sure where someone got the idea I shoot for antlers. I have shot 3 antler less deer to 2 with antlers, so I don't think I'm shooting for head gear. To be honest shooting a deer isn't even the main reason I go out. I love pre season scouting etc. over killing a deer. I also like just sitting in my stand enjoying nature.

I'm not going out there expecting to kill a monster. I am happy to get any deer. Despite having a great deer population by me it is a hard 80 to gun hunt. It would be much easier to bow hunt, but that's not my thing.

And to the guy whining about my grammer this is an online forum I'm posting from my phone. Im not going to take the time to proof read typos and faulty auto corrects. If you Dont like it Dont read my posts.

ridgewalker

Postby ridgewalker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Ladies, ladies,ladies...put your claws away, and have a snickers bar. Take your brand of whine elsewhere or tell us about your deer camp. It's true! A woman enters a chat-room with her period and the next thing you know all the women get their period. Rather than bicker about who owns the deer, and this may be a shock to you, none of us do...tell us about the good stuff. You know, history, location, how big, stories, who will be the first to crap their pants, past successes/failures, good gags...anything but your PCS, (Pre-Camp Syndrome). Look on the bright side, the temps are dropping and some areas may still have snow. Good Hunting all and be safe.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Yes, lets talk about the good stuff and the things we look forward to with the orange pumpkin season. Ill start the list.

1. It only last 9 days so it doesnt screw up the bowhuntng too much.

2. Now you can bowhunt during the gun deer season

3. With snow this year, many of the 9 dayers will actually find their wounded deer leaving far fewer for us to find during late season bowhunting.

4. The late opener mean the rut will be mostly over and the bucks wont be as active.

5. Did I mention It only last 9 days so it doesnt screw up the bowhuntng too much. ;)

willypete

Postby willypete » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:09 pm

wilmer thrun wrote:Yes, lets talk about the good stuff and the things we look forward to with the orange pumpkin season. Ill start the list.

1. It only last 9 days so it doesnt screw up the bowhuntng too much.

2. Now you can bowhunt during the gun deer season

3. With snow this year, many of the 9 dayers will actually find their wounded deer leaving far fewer for us to find during late season bowhunting.

4. The late opener mean the rut will be mostly over and the bucks wont be as active.

5. Did I mention It only last 9 days so it doesnt screw up the bowhuntng too much. ;)

I'm still lost on why you are whing about gun hunters wounding deer. Today a friend sent me a picture of a deer with an arrow lodged in it's neck.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin