COLD FEET!!

jonny5buck

COLD FEET!!

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:46 am

I GOT A PAIR OF GOOD HUNTING BOOTS-'ROCKYS' ABOUT 4YEARS OLD--THEY'VE BEEN GOOD TO ME, BUT, MY FEET GET COLD ALMOST EVERYTIME . TOASTY TOES HEAT PACKS DONT SEEM TO HELP AT ALL/THE HAND WARMERS WORK GREAT AND I USE ALWAYS! MY BOOTS ARE WATERPROOF, 2000 GRAM THINSULATE/THICK SOLE--GOOD BOOTS-I USED TO WEAR 2 PAIR SOCKS/LINER/WOOL OUTER SOCKS. MY FEET ACTUALLY GOT COLDER!NOW I WEAR 1THIN PAIR POLYPROPYLENE SOCKS.WITH THE THINNER POLY. SOCKS AND KEEPING THE BOOTS LOOSER ,FEELS A LITTLE BETTER,BUT NOT ENOUGH.WAS THINKING OF TRYING THE 'ARCTIC SHIELD' BOOTYS THAT GO OVER YOUR BOOTS, BUT DONT KNOW HOW THEY WORK--ANY GOOD?, ANY SUGG. FOR SOCKS , BOOTS, ANYTHING WOULD B APPRECIATED--SICK OF FREEZING MY FRIGGIN TOES OFF--THANKS--5buck[:)]

8uck5nort

RE: COLD FEET!!

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:08 am

Amen!

Got the same problem.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:47 am

try pac boots they are toasty,but heavy.i have no experience with the artic shield but an old timer at camp used them and loved em.Im hoping santa will bring me a pair[:)].do you smoke?that can cause extremities to get cold fast
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:26 am

My feet sweat, and wet feet = cold feet.  I finally started wearing a pair of New Balance water proof tennis shoes with heavy socks - they seem to keep my feet as warmer than the 1200 gram thinsulate boots I have.  I think because with the tennis shoes my feet sweat less, or if they do sweat it dissipates more quickly.  My brother has the bootys that go over the boots - he says they're nothing special but he only tried them a couple of times.  I'm thinking about giving them a shot in combination with my tennis shoes.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:30 am

[font=tahoma]I have the same problem.  My wife swears her feet do not get cold when she uses electric socks.  [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]So here is what I am asking Santa to get me for Christmas - [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/heatedsocks_sportsman.htm[/font]

�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:16 pm

I just though of something. I know, I know, don't laugh![;)]

I am usually good for about 2-3 hours and my feet are ususally the first extrimity to get cold. Doesn't matter if it's 40 or 4 degrees. I have tried wool, cotton, electric and even silk socks. Loose or tight boots. Toasty toes (which I actually think once they stopped their peak heating actually made it worse cause they cause sweating), and no toasty toes. The only time my feet are not freezing is when I am on the ground moving.

The boots are always in contact with metal of my stand. I am going to try putting down one of those foam thermaseats as a floor cover for my stand or a piece of towel/felt (descented of course). Anything to put something between my feet and the cold metal. I actually think that will do more to prevent the heat from getting trasferred.

We'll see.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 am

I believe most of the time cold feet can be attributed to wet feet from sweating. Most of the time i dont even know its happening but they are sweating. Try packing your boots into your stand instead of wearing them. Just wear a light pair of shoes for the walk in. Then when you get to the stand take your shoes off and wait a couple minutes before putting your boots on to let your feet air out(yeah i know stinking up the woods) then put your boots on. This has completely cured me of cold feet and i was also the guy who kept buying bigger, better insulated boots and this just magnified the problem.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:14 am

thanks guys, a lotta input-i appreciate it-i did switch to the polypropelene socks because they suck the moisture off your feet tremendously good,and i know by keeping the boots looser ,you allow more heat to circulate .i went out yesterday in a snowstorm,and can  honestly say my feet didnt get cold!-what i did was i took the'toastie toes' warmers, let em warm up 5min., then shoved them bad boys all the way to the the front of my boots, and stuck em on the top of the inside,i couldnt believe how well this worked, i only sat for 2 hours ,but it was like mini -heaters![:)]THANKS AGAIN 5BUCK----

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:33 pm

You said wool outer socks?
The wool socks should be next to the skin. They will wick away any moisture and keep your feet warmer than any othe material.
I HATE cold feet, so I keep some of my old wool army socks for hunting. Two pairs of the ones with the thick sole inside 800 gram thinsulate rubber boots works good for me.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:21 pm

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

I just though of something. I know, I know, don't laugh![;)]

I am usually good for about 2-3 hours and my feet are ususally the first extrimity to get cold. Doesn't matter if it's 40 or 4 degrees. I have tried wool, cotton, electric and even silk socks. Loose or tight boots. Toasty toes (which I actually think once they stopped their peak heating actually made it worse cause they cause sweating), and no toasty toes. The only time my feet are not freezing is when I am on the ground moving.

The boots are always in contact with metal of my stand. I am going to try putting down one of those foam thermaseats as a floor cover for my stand or a piece of towel/felt (descented of course). Anything to put something between my feet and the cold metal. I actually think that will do more to prevent the heat from getting trasferred.

We'll see.

Follow up:

Was out Friday in 19 to 27 degree weather with 5-10 MPH NW wind. Partly sunny for most of the day. Kinda a day that you will get cold feet within a couple of hours.

I used an old dish towl and put it down on the cold metal. My feet did last a little longer, but what really helped was the good old sunshine hitting the tops of my boots. That seemed to help more than anything else.

Someone pointed out the wool wicks moisture and should be the inner pair. I will give that a try as i have always worn a cotton inner pair (regular gym socks) and then my thick wool ones. At this point, don't care what works, anyting to keep my feet warm.

Next

Return to Clothing