Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

buckwild

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:31 pm

I have been out sporadically, for either a morning or evening hunt with not too much activity. The most excitement I have had was last Saturday when I used the wind to put another tree stand up for gun season. As I was inspecting my tree options, I smelled what reminded me of the petting zoo, and thought it had to be from a deer. I looked down the little hump I was on, and there was a really nice buck with his nose down and facing me about 20 yards away. I dropped down to put down my climbing sticks and knock an arrow. I never saw him during the preparation, but as soon as I had the arrow knocked, I looked up and he was popping over the crest at less than 10 yards. He saw me and spun around and ran about 75 yards and stopped, looked back, then meandered away with a tail flicker. Cool encounter. If I had only been an hour earlier...
Semper Fidelis!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm blessed to have access to about 1200 acres of farm land containing creeks, ditches, timber, and bottom grounds that I can hunt. There's about 70 acres of standing timber, another 150 acres of bottom ground that is in a tree program that is working on becoming timber, and there are about 3 miles of ditches and ridges in CRP. It belongs to long time family friends and is 20 minutes from my home.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Sounds just about perfect, big horse, AND you get to share your passion with your daughter. Excellent!;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Indeed Kellory. I share it with my entire family, as well as a couple close friends including the property owner. My father, as did his father before us, both my brothers, my son, daughter and I all hunt there, along with a couple of my best friends. But I am the only one that consistently bow hunts or turkey hunts. One other buddy has been out twice this year. and my 77 year old father just got a crossbow and has been out a few times. The rest of them all shotgun hunt in the upcoming firearms seasons. And my brothers and I and a group of our friends all upland hunt there for pheasants, rabbits, and squirrel. Besides hunting, we have had a little "campground" on the property where my entire family and friends have been camping and holding cookouts, enjoying atv'ing, fishing and shooting for many, many years.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 pm

November 11, 2013

Excited from the previous nights success, I was eager to get back into the stand the next morning. I climbed in the campground stand about 5:45, and experienced a beautiful sunrise on a cool morning. The wind was blowing and increased as the day grew. I saw one small 6 point about 7:30 and two does about a half hour later, none of which were in shooting distance.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:58 pm

November 15, 2013

I got into the campground stand about 3 in the afternoon. It was a fairly calm evening. I saw a huge buck out in a neighboring field with 4 does as I drove in and was quite pumped about my chances, but I didn't see much. Two does passed through the timber to my north, and later a button buck wandered by as well. Just before dark I had a 6 point cruising by to my east. I think the Mature bucks are starting to lock down on receptive does, as evidenced by the big boy and his harem.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm

I didn't get out to hunt this weekend... Saturday morning was looking promising, and I was awake and had all my clothes washed and ready to go... but then I looked over at my wife and baby girl and the urge to stay home and have a lazy Saturday morning in bed was too much to handle. I thought about going out in the afternoon, but it was warming up and there was a threat of rain. Then the weather got really bad, as our fellow Illinoisans in Washington and Gifford know all too well. We didn't have any tornadoes, but the wind and rain was pretty nasty on Sunday.

No deer hunting, but it was pretty awesome weekend anyway.

I also believe we are into the lock down phase of the rut. I have seen several different bucks with a lone doe out in the middle of fields either bedded or keeping her corralled away from other deer. Yesterday we saw a small buck with a doe bedded in a field on the way to school in the morning. On the way home that afternoon they were still there within 100 yards of where they were in the morning.

I'm hoping the next few days allows the majority of does to get bred. We are approaching the firearms opener this weekend, and the timing should be good to get some of the bigger boys out and looking for the last few receptive does while at the same time keying in on any food sources that are still available. There's been a LOT of chisel plowing going on around my hunting area....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Definitely in that lock down phase. Opening weekend for birds we saw a few big guys out in fields with does. And this week I've seen more of it. Really Nice 10 point with 4 does in the field across from me to the south when I drove in the other night, and I watched him chase a smaller buck away from them.

My farmer sent me this pic of one with a doe lying in the middle of the field where I hunt this morning.

And I'm going to be in Chicago all weekend during gun season... Grrrrrrrr!!!!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:13 pm

ugh... school board convention? My parents are going. Dad is on the board for the school district back home.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Yep. Leave Friday morning, be back Sunday afternoon. Sunday evening is usually my only hunt during the first gun season.

Hopefully the kids will be tagged out by the time I get home. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois