Are you anticipating snow this weekend?

willypete

Are you anticipating snow this weekend?

Postby willypete » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Opener is just around the corner and much of the state is experiencing some snow. How much are you getting and are you expecting some to be there Saturday?

I'm in Chippewa County and it looks like I should have enough snow after tonight to at least have enough in the woods for tracking. Snow makes deer hunting so much better to me. Love seeing all the tracks sure helps a lot and makes it really exciting.

Good Luck to everyone this Saturday and beyond!

ridgewalker

Re: Are you anticipating snow this weekend?

Postby ridgewalker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Ever since I left the big woods north of 64 that is what I have missed the most. Nothing is better then hunting whitetail deer after a fresh snow. Wolves pushed me out of my area. I would have returned this year to hunt with a rifle but, they made my area in SE Wisconsin rifle. Thank God! I don't have to sit and wait to throw a lead rock at a deer through a piece of pipe! Temps are expected to be in the twenties this year. Good luck and good hunting to all.

willypete

Postby willypete » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 pm

ridgewalker wrote:Ever since I left the big woods north of 64 that is what I have missed the most. Nothing is better then hunting whitetail deer after a fresh snow. Wolves pushed me out of my area. I would have returned this year to hunt with a rifle but, they made my area in SE Wisconsin rifle. Thank God! I don't have to sit and wait to throw a lead rock at a deer through a piece of pipe! Temps are expected to be in the twenties this year. Good luck and good hunting to all.

I was happy to see they finally opened up rifle hunting throughout the state. Hopefully not to many cities ban it in the coming years.

I will survive cold temps as hopefully it will get the deer moving I was dissapointed to see the wind speeds will be 15mph Saturday. HATE wind...not fun at all. Also not a fan of wolves either. I haven't experienced any on my hunting grounds, but I have people nearby who say they see them. I Dont want them wrecking my deer population.

ridgewalker

Postby ridgewalker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Mix of snow and rain falling right now. Willy, I actually have a skull and antlers from a wolf kill in Vilas County over ten years ago. I found it right where might similar buck dropped on opening day. Never saw another buck in that area again and moved on. Now I hunt 77M in SE Wisconsin. Plenty of bucks but, you can hear the old lady screaming at the kids, the farmer beating his dog, and about 110 decibels of highway traffic when the wind is right. I've gotten to a point in my life where I would take the smaller bucks of up north over the noise of down here.

willypete

Postby willypete » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 am

Yah I can't really stand having noise when I hunt. I've always wanted to go way up north where it is just an endless supply of woods. I finally got rid of the screaming kids next door. They got old enough they could hunt so now they just drive a 4 wheeler down the fence line 3 times a day. Usually kicks up deer so I deal with it. However the farmer screwing around in the field is something I sure wouldnt miss.

Also happy there will be snow so I can check for tresspassers. A lot of people will hunt the fields next to my group and when things get slow they push the back 20(so bad we had to put someone back there everyday). Also this year there are 5 stands on the fence line of the field as they have tress just on the fence line. Was worried they might try to sneak in using the trail going down the fence line every morning, but looks like the snow on the ground will squash that idea hopefully.

The land I lease gets less and less private every year.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 am

Typical 9 dayer. :lol:

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:50 am

wilmer thrun wrote:Typical 9 dayer. :lol:

You really need help for your BHSOS(Bow Hunter Snobbery Obsession Syndrome). You just can't let any thread go on with out
your pointless drivel disrespecting those that enjoy the Wisconsin Firearms Deer season. Take a deep breath, and back away
from the keyboard, until you have something constructive to add.

Deerbeans

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:55 am

Willy,

I too live in Chippewa County, and it sure was nice to see snow falling last night. My 4 month
old Chesapeake thought is was way too much fun. Yes, I much prefer snow to brown. I
don't have to strain my old eyes looking for brown patches in the wood, quite as much
with snow. And the cold and snow will have them hungry, and up on their feet, too.
I sure hope our little corner of Shawano County has snow, too.

And yes, we get to shoot rifles this year, too. So many rifles to use, and so few tags. :lol:

Deerbeans

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:17 am

I was only agreeing with wileypete. He seemed to sum it up pretty well.

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:39 pm

willypete wrote:Also happy there will be snow so I can check for tresspassers. A lot of people will hunt the fields next to my group and when things get slow they push the back 20(so bad we had to put someone back there everyday). Also this year there are 5 stands on the fence line of the field as they have tress just on the fence line. Was worried they might try to sneak in using the trail going down the fence line every morning, but looks like the snow on the ground will squash that idea hopefully.

The land I lease gets less and less private every year.

Willy,

I am not sure where you hunt, but in Shawano Co., we just call the Sheriff Dept., a deputy shows up, bull horns the trespassers to the road,
takes their guns, puts the guns in his trunk, and drives them to jail. We have made that call a time or two...Now the word is out, and we don't
have a trespassing problem. You probably want to talk to the local Sheriff Dept., and the local DA, to see how you should handle a trespassing
violation. Also, you want to check the conditions of your lease. There may be some owner option to allow others access...I would look to a
different lease, if you don't have exclusive access.

Deerbeans

Next

Return to Wisconsin