Are you anticipating snow this weekend?

MZS

Re: Are you anticipating snow this weekend?

Postby MZS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Anticipating stinking cold temps by us! Near zero overnights and wind blowing Saturday to send chill factors well below zero if you are in the wind. I am thinking that still hunting would be the way to go Saturday afternoon.

willypete

Postby willypete » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 am

deerbeans wrote:
willypete wrote:Also happy there will be snow so I can check for tresspassers. A lot of people will hunt the fields next to my group and when things get slow they push the back 20(so bad we had to put someone back there everyday). Also this year there are 5 stands on the fence line of the field as they have tress just on the fence line. Was worried they might try to sneak in using the trail going down the fence line every morning, but looks like the snow on the ground will squash that idea hopefully.

The land I lease gets less and less private every year.

Willy,

I am not sure where you hunt, but in Shawano Co., we just call the Sheriff Dept., a deputy shows up, bull horns the trespassers to the road,
takes their guns, puts the guns in his trunk, and drives them to jail. We have made that call a time or two...Now the word is out, and we don't
have a trespassing problem. You probably want to talk to the local Sheriff Dept., and the local DA, to see how you should handle a trespassing
violation. Also, you want to check the conditions of your lease. There may be some owner option to allow others access...I would look to a
different lease, if you don't have exclusive access.

Deerbeans

We know the person we lease from very well. Close friend so be have exclusive access to the land. The reason we Dont call it in as to be honest a couple of the people are crazy and they live in the area. Personally I think calling it in would be too risky for future years. We didn't have any problems last year with a person sitting back in that area and this year one of the guys saw as dragging a stand back into that part. If it ever happens again though we may just call it in and find a new place to hunt. Its just not worth getting shot. 3 or 4 years ago some was 300 yards away in his barn pointing his gun in our direction. Thankfully I think the worst of them no longer hunt there anymore.

Hard to enjoy a hunt with people invading on you. But as long as they stay on there side of the fence and shoot into the field I Dont care what they do personally.

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:38 am

willypete wrote:We know the person we lease from very well. Close friend so be have exclusive access to the land. The reason we Dont call it in as to be honest a couple of the people are crazy and they live in the area. Personally I think calling it in would be too risky for future years. We didn't have any problems last year with a person sitting back in that area and this year one of the guys saw as dragging a stand back into that part. If it ever happens again though we may just call it in and find a new place to hunt. Its just not worth getting shot. 3 or 4 years ago some was 300 yards away in his barn pointing his gun in our direction. Thankfully I think the worst of them no longer hunt there anymore.

Hard to enjoy a hunt with people invading on you. But as long as they stay on there side of the fence and shoot into the field I Dont care what they do personally.

Willy,

I understand the concern. We had a bunch arrested, and later they were shooting their mouth off in a local tavern about
shooting us. The bar tender told them, "Don't miss, because they won't". And we wouldn't. We have had property
damage from retaliation. Again law enforcement was called, a report was made, and nothing else came of it, other than
we upgraded security measures. Your situation is a bit different than ours. We have owned the land for almost 100 years,
and feel pretty strongly about protecting it. In your case, if I saw someone pointing a rifle at me, I would have gotten to
cover, and been dialing 911. If rounds would have come in, I would have done my best with my rifle skills to neutralize
the threat. I certainly wouldn't let unlawful behavior intimidate me. But we each have to make that decision.
I may be as "crazy" as those attempting to intimidate me. :shock: Actually I have training and experience that kicks
in, so there is really nothing "crazy" about my response to threats of violence. Like I said, we each have to deal
with trespassing with what we are comfortable with.

This is why I suggested talking to law enforcement/county DA's office. They will quickly give you an impression on
how seriously they take trespassing violations. Fortunately Shawano Co. takes it very seriously, and will follow up
if threats are made following an arrest for trespassing.

I also agree that this kind of work really takes the fun out of deer hunting. I have had more than one season
wreaked by unlawful acts, but getting them handled, makes for less stressful seasons in the future.

Oh, back on the original topic, anyone hunting in northern Chippewa County will have snow cover. I am hoping
I have snow greeting me, when I get to western Shawano Co.

Deerbeans

willypete

Postby willypete » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:30 pm

MZS wrote:Anticipating stinking cold temps by us! Near zero overnights and wind blowing Saturday to send chill factors well below zero if you are in the wind. I am thinking that still hunting would be the way to go Saturday afternoon.

Excited there will be a nice blanket of snow but the wind just ticks me off. Going to be below 0 for sure with the wind chill. No worries here though...the stand is where I will be all day maybe a short break.

I'm not the greatest still hunter anyway, but the woods are so thick for me I cant get a decent shot or walk quietly. No need to make loud bangs for nothing!

But I can understand why someone in the right situation and skills could have a really good chance still hunting.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin