I shot a buck tonight, but...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Dina3

Re: I shot a buck tonight, but...

Postby Dina3 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:09 am

Nice post !

MIhunt

Postby MIhunt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:54 am

Looks very peaceful with the eyes shot. Nice buck, congrats.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:23 pm

If you believe that things happen for a reason and that there is an order of things, you might enjoy the rest of the story.
That day started with me hunting with a buddy who had permission to hunt an "urban area" . It's a small strip of woods that connects to a huge tract of woods, but it does have a few houses within 200 yds. Around midmorning I saw two large does walking down a trail leading toward my stand. At about 40 yds someone in one of the houses staring blowing their car horn at which time the deer ran off. We hunt a few more hours and quit. I'm disappointed.
As I'm driving home my brother called and wanted to go hunting at our farm that evening. I'm tired, but agree to go because he's my brother. So we go and I end up getting that 9 pointer.
So...if the guy would not have blown his horn and scared the doe away, I would not have gone hunting in the afternoon with my brother and shot the 9 pt. Perseverance saved the day. Life is funny that way.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:46 am

I find it interesting that at various times deer will become startled by sounds that at other times don't affect them. Every evening I have two to three large (50 or more birds in each one) flocks of geese fly over. Sometimes the deer will look up and run off and other times they will ignore them. I've watched deer with squirrels and rabbits feeding right next to them, yet other times let a squirrel or rabbit show up and the deer will take off! One of my stands is within about 150 yards of the town limits and there are always dogs barking, kids screaming, horns blowing, and music blaring; yet it doesn't seem to phase the deer at all, but let a loud motorcycle take off from that direction and suddenly the deer are gone. It does make one wonder.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:29 am

I know. Sometimes deer will have that 6th sense about them and at other times they do the dumbest things. Unpredictable, I guess.
Besides tasting great, unpredictability is what makes them so exciting to hunt.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Previous

Return to General Discussions