Hogs

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Retranger

Hogs

Postby Retranger » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 pm

We apparently have a population of wild hogs in parts of NY, mostly in the southern part, but recently had an outbreak in northern NY . The state (DEC) spent a great amount of time and effort to build traps to catch and dispose of them, which they said they did, but I stopped by the orchard to pick up some apples and the folks there didn’t agree. :roll: :evil: Said don’t believe all you hear in the news. Was wondering if you folks with hog experience could educate me on them. How you hunt them, process them, cook etc. I had a fellow tell me if you ever ate a wild hog that had been on acorns you would never buy pork at the store again. I suspect rthomas would have much insight on this ;) ;)
Doug

rthomas4

Re: Hogs

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Luckily, I don't have a hog problem, yet. Actually, I've never killed a wild hog myself; however, I have butchered quite a few as well as cooked a couple.
The first rule, is DO NOT kill a big old boar, if you want to eat the meat. #2, Unlike a domestic hog, don't try to scrape a wild hog, skin it. #3, When cooking a wild hog, it's best to cut it into the hams, shoulders, back straps, and loins before cooking and then smoke the meat keeping the temperature around 275 degrees until it's done. Finally, #4 is once the meat is done, debone and chop it then smother it in a good SC style mustard based bar-b-q sauce and serve with bar-b-q hash and rice with a side of cole slaw and some hush puppies with banana pudding for dessert!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I like to throw the meat in a croc pot, low all day, add nothing but Pats Ho Made BBQ sauce.
Pull and eat with southern slaw and some hushpuppies
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 pm

rt I thought SC was over run with hogs, but that was off the grape vine. I like the idea of smoking. I have smoked domestic pork and ribs. I season them and smoke them at 200 with apple chips then about half way done I put barbecue sauce on them for the rest of the time. I don't suspect I will be hunting hogs soon but I suspect I would shoot it behind the ear or in the vitals. I heard the skinning process is not an easy one.
Sailfish that is what I do with the shin meat from a deer, much easier than trying to get all the tendons out.
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:16 pm

SC is over run with hogs, I'm just lucky that my property is mostly planted pines, and where I dog hunt is pretty much all swamp. The property across the swamp from our club has them, but the water in the swamp is so deep they haven't crossed over to our side. There are at least 6 hunting services within a 20 mile radius around my home that sell hog hunts. Bang's Paradise Valley, Blackwater Hunting Services, Broxton Bridge Plantation, Bostick Plantation, Buck Run Plantation, and Cypress Creek Plantation are the ones I can name right off the top of my head; but it seems like there might be a few more.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 am

Just curious rt why don't you hunt hogs? ;)
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:57 pm

I would if I had somewhere to hunt 'em. I'm not about to pay someone to kill something that's a pest and that they want to get rid off; besides with my fixed income, I can't afford to pay even if I wanted to. I could hunt the state WMA, but I'm not going out there with the wackos that don't have a clue what they're shooting at; and since ATVs aren't allowed, I can't get far enough back in the swamp to get away from the crowd.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Don't blame you ;)
Doug

Return to General Discussions