Count Down to Opening Day

wilmer thrun

Re: Count Down to Opening Day

Postby wilmer thrun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:33 am

Because it happens so much and at a much geater number than it does for bowhunters just by shear volume of hunters alone. There are far more gun hunters taking much farther shots than bowhunters and if the deer doesnt fall on the spot the gun hunters assume it must have been a miss so they dont bother to go check. After nearly 40 years of hunting I can tell you we find many wasted gun kills out in the woods after gun season and hardly any during the bow season. Of that there can be no doubt. The DNR even factors this gun season wounding loss into SAK as part of the buck recovery rate.
Last edited by wilmer thrun on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:53 am

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Still generalizing the whole world, Rancid? Anyone who breathes air, who differs in opinion or interest than you do, is less - far less - a human being than you are .... don't you ever get sick and tired of antagonizing those who don't think and act like you?

Did you buy your bag of corn yet, Rancid? Got that buck fawn dead in your sights??
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:33 am

Very slow and quiet opener. I only found 3 dead deer the gun hunters wounded. I was able to contact the one orange 9 dayer to tell him where his gut shot fawn was laying so he could recover it. The other two ended up as coyote feed. Very few shots heard. Thats good in my books as it meant fewer waisted and unrecovered deer.
Last edited by wilmer thrun on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ridgewalker

Postby ridgewalker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:55 am

Very slow weekend. Never saw a buck. Heard 6 shots before 7 AM Saturday. Only one was within my square mile. Not a shot the rest of the day. Sunday, 4 distant shots before legal shooting light. Yikes! At 2:30 the neighbor shot a doe that was with three fawns. OK, if it makes you feel like you are swinging the Big Johnson! Hope the fawns make it. At 4:20 some nob-shine shot into the woods in my direction. Saw the muzzle flash and went to investigate. The guy never came into my property and walked away at a fast pace across the field when he saw me. I am going to head to the property this AM to see if I can find what the idiot was shooting at. I know he killed something cause I could hear the animal thrash. It was too dark to go look. THE EXCITEMENT IS GONE! I'm so over gun deer hunting. Thank God Amateur weekend has come and gone. Now all I have to deal with is the I HAVE TO SHOOT SOMETHING CROWD for the remainder of the SHOOT (not hunt), cause this is not hunting! Isn't the definition of insanity " a person that makes the same mistake over and over again"? About now, I am asking myself why do I go through this year after year?

willypete

Postby willypete » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:38 am

Unlike some of you people I Dont let other people ruin my hunt. I find ways to fix it instead of whining.

Dont like people shooting up fawns....put out a pile of corn if you can! Put it somewhere you Dont hunt the fawns won't care. They will stay by it, cause that's what I did.

And about shooting out of hours report it...its that simple people.

I had someone speed into a field, slam on the breaks to jump out and shoot at a doe. Then get in their truck to chase it across the field. You know what good for them cause they missed and 3 does with a buck ran behind them. That someone in my party shot later that evening. Then that night we were down on the fence line getting the deer on the truck when someone 400 yards away in their house jumped in there truck to see what we got. We just calmly got in our truck and drove into the woods so they couldn't see. Big deal I Dont care what they want to do. I will worry about myself not others.

And man some of you bow hunters are just stupid. As if bow hunters Dont wound countless deer, can't find them, shot little ones, or shoot after hours. You are no better than gun hunters. I wear blaze orange even outside the 9 days after someone nearly shot me with their bow.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:29 pm

legal time for our area was 6:43am...i left the house at 6:15am and by the time i was in my stand at 6:35am i had already heard 14 gunshots starting at 6:28am......i dont even know how to go about reporting that many early gunshots(2 to the east a ways,4 to the west not as far away as the east one's and 8 that i really couldnt tell cause of the wind???yeah i'm sure the warden has tons of free time to track those down)

Sunday afternoon got to listen to Rambo with i'm guessing a semi automatic but at least after the 2nd wave of gunfire from him it opened the floodgates of deer running out of their woods and past my stand

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Sounds like everybody has a tale of woe from the 9 dayers around them doing stupid stuff. Same old same old. The good thing is there are only 6 more days of this until the bowhunting starts to improve again. Hopefully the cold and wind keeps the gun kill way down. :D

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Don't be so naive to think that it's only gun hunters shooting before and after hours. Bowhunters are not any better...you just can't hear them shoot.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

willypete

Postby willypete » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 pm

14 shots? Either you are lying or have a pretty serious issue by you. In all my years hunting I Dont hear a lot of early shots I'd consider extreme...so nothing really over 10 minutes either way. If anything I will hear some late shots every once in awhile that id call extreme.

I know shooting after hours is a very common thing for bow hunters and really bad on private land. If that big buck of a life time pops out 20 minutes after shooting light a good portion of bow hunters will take the shot...they know people can't hear them.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin