road kills

Retranger

road kills

Postby Retranger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:32 am

I am from Lake Placid NY and working my way south for the winter. At present we are in Middletown Va spending a few days with our son. Driving around the area we have seen many deer beside the road that have apparently been in a confrontation with a vehicle and lost. Picture is of one that had just happened. (two cars and two fellows were standing around it) I was driving north on rt 11 to Winchester and it was on the south bound side. When I returned about half hour later the deer was still there. I have seen many of the same along the road,,,amazed that nobody takes these ,,,,,, most of the ones I have seen do not appear to be that badly damaged and much of the meat would still be good. Are folks not permitted to take them? Shame to let them go to waste.
Attachments
just got hit.jpg
just got hit.jpg (123.51 KiB) Viewed 728 times
Doug

kellory

Re: road kills

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:44 am

Doug, it varies by the state, how they are handled. Most often, the officer will offer the deer to whoever hit it, if they want it. The officer may need to write out a tag for claiming that deer.
Here, in Ohio, a hunter with a valid deer tag, must use that paid for tag to claim it, (something many disagree with. No one else is required to spend money to claim it, and it may be your only buck for the year)
Sheriff's departments, often have sign up lists for roadkill, and you may be called day or night to show up and. Claim the meat. You might only get half of a deer as usable meat. But it would be a fresh killed deer, and free. Not a bad deal, as long as you have a place to process it cleanly and quickly.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Retranger

Re: road kills

Postby Retranger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:09 am

In NY if the person that hits the deer don't want it than anybody can have. Law enforcement will give you a tag. I realize it varies as I dealt with this as my profession for over 30 years. I saw a deer the other day here while going to the store on a fellows front lawn just out of the right of way and it was there for at least 2 days. I know I could of filled 2 large freezers since I have been here.
Doug

Return to Virginia