Nocturnal Bucks

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Re: Nocturnal Bucks

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks shaman! You just saved me a whole lot of typing!

Any of you neophytes out there that want to know about deer hunting, just read the above!

Just to add on to what you said, I will quote Ted Nugent (or try to quote him, I don't have the exact quote in front of me). He said that a deer's existance is governed by basically by 3 things.....

1. What am I going to eat next.

2. Who am I going to have sex with.

3. Is there anything out there that will eat ME?

People can disagree with things that Ted Nugent says, but this ain't one of 'em!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:52 pm

I telling on myself here. However, I forgot rule #1 this year. Since 2008 I have been setting up at a place I call The Garden of Stone. It is just a patch of pasture. It gets its name because I started putting a rock under the deer to mark where I'd taken them. Pretty soon there was a sizeable mess of rock in that little bit of pasture. Starting last Fall, I stopped seeing deer poop out in the GofS. At first I didn't think anything about it. I kept hunting. I ate tag soup last year.

I stayed with it though. This year I had three sits out there-- never saw a deer. No poop either. I kept figuring they would stop eating in the woods and come out into the GofS but they never did. No poop? No deer.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:07 pm

"No poop? No deer."

Brilliant. The essence of deer hunting summed up in 4 words!

Your GOS experience is a reminder to ALL of us that we should never, ever assume that the deer will be somewhere because we saw them there before. The woods and the deer are in a constant state of change....food sources, cover, weather, etc. We also need to remember that a WOODS isn't static either, and in the course of less than a decade a given piece of habitat will evolve into a different stage of plant succession which WILL change how the deer and other wildlife use it.

As hunters I think that most of us generally tend to overthink deer behavior, and we UNDER think the plant community's effect on deer.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ChasinTails27

Postby ChasinTails27 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks for all the the replies. I have to say I got a pretty good laugh this morning! I know they are there and it is hard to 'find' them at the right time. The woods are thick and the swamp is deep where I come from. So finding the big bucks, and then getting to them is very hard.

I might have to try the little squeaky toy on day...

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Planting food plots and putting out deer candy (yellow decoy, or corn if you want) will keep 'em coming to the same spot year after year. I average killing at least 3 or 4 off of each of my regular stands, every year, and have been doing so since I started planting the food plots at those locations 13 years ago. In the swamp, we have some tower stands where we can plant a few plots on high ground, and put out corn to supplement the acorns, and deer have been killed at those stands for over 30 years, every year. We even kill 'em in front of the dogs in the morning and go back and kill 'em in the afternoon or during the week at those same stand sites. Food, water, and bedding cover will keep and hold the deer year after year.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

ChasinTails27

Postby ChasinTails27 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I have a pretty good feeling that planting a food plot would help. It would at least keep the does in the area. But like I said earlier, the woods are real thick so I would have to cut some little trees down to have the slightest opportunity for success. I have been keeping corn there for them all season, but they just come eat it at night.

Has anybody ever tried using a feeder? One that you can program to throw feed right before sunrise and sunset.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:06 am

In both cases, food plot and feeder, you have to contend with the natural forage. In my area, for instance, there is nothing that will compete with acorns. No feeder, no plot, nothing will convince deer to leave the oak groves until the acorns are eaten. The Garden of Stone was nice, because it was some place I found the deer coming after the acorns were gone. This year, I found corn in the bellies. That was a first. It meant the deer were hitting feeders during season. However, this was a bad year for acorns.

So let us say you want to attract bucks. You put out a plot. You put out a feeder. Maybe they show, maybe they don't. They may be a mile away eating acorns or the last of the neighbor's soy bean field. The point is: nothing is for sure.

Another word about The Garden of Stone: I never could figure out what the deer were eating. The food plot itself was long gone. I'd planted it in 2007 with wheat and clover. There was some forb in there that the deer loved in the late season. It got a hold on that plot of ground due to the fact that it had been cultivated. Probably strip-disking that field would have produced the same effect. Remember that when y'all are making your plans. Sometimes simple things work better than elaborate expensive things. It could be that just knocking over some cedar trees or a stand of maples will give you tremendous success. I had a trick a few years ago that worked great on a field out by one of my blinds. After the first haying, I'd go out with a bag of fertilizer and throw a handful on every green patch of forb I found. I selectively fertilized the stuff that was beating out the fescue. The result was that I had lots of deer grazing that pasture for the next two seasons.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:35 am

I have found that after crops are harvested,,my food plots are done and froze,foliage has fallen,Rut is over,,all deer, especially bucks, become less visible during daylight. Remember daylight hrs shrink considerably by late Nov in the north. Lots of dark hrs for deer to fuel up, and still "Hook Up", after dark, when humans are gone.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:52 am

Down here, after the first freeze is when the deer really begin to pound the turnips and naked oats. I've had three turnip plots wiped out in the last three weeks.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

Woods Walker wrote:"It goes back to the basics: Find the beds, find the food source, draw a line between the two. Hunt along that line."

Is there an app for that?

cute :D
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions