DEERPOTION

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: DEERPOTION

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:03 am

You only spent $50.00 on corn for the season? I go through that much every two weeks, since corn is $10.00-$12.00 per bushel down here. I just planted 8 food plots for less than $80.00 spent on seed. I planted soy beans, sunflowers, and oats (brown top millet was too expensive, and grain sorghum couldn't be found). Come fall, I'll go back and plant forage radishes, forage beets, and purple top turnips, and that will cost about another $100.00 for the seed. I ration my corn and only put about a quarter of a bushel on each site, but that requires about 2-3 applications per week, once the acorns are gone. I do have at least 6 corn pile sites, just here at my house. Then there are a couple more spots that I bait down at the hunting club, where we run the hounds.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 am

rthomas4 wrote:You only spent $50.00 on corn for the season? I go through that much every two weeks, since corn is $10.00-$12.00 per bushel down here. .

Up north, folks pay squat for corn compared to the south. My uncle (a retired farmer) is flabbergasted to hear what we pay.
(FYI, most folks who buy "bagged" corn down our way............they aren't even getting a bushel, most bags are 50# which is approx 9% less)
So we are paying a considerable amount more for a bushel)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Sailfish wrote:
rthomas4 wrote:You only spent $50.00 on corn for the season? I go through that much every two weeks, since corn is $10.00-$12.00 per bushel down here. .

Up north, folks pay squat for corn compared to the south. My uncle (a retired farmer) is flabbergasted to hear what we pay.
(FYI, most folks who buy "bagged" corn down our way............they aren't even getting a bushel, most bags are 50# which is approx 9% less)
So we are paying a considerable amount more for a bushel)

bags here in Ohio, are #40, last time I bought any corn. Might get #50 bags from a feed store, or mill.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:24 pm

I just have one stand in the back corner. Get my corn from a local farmer for about 8 bucks for 50lb.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:50 pm

droptinehunter1 wrote:I just have one stand in the back corner. Get my corn from a local farmer for about 8 bucks for 50lb.

i pay 8-10 per #40 bag. it takes 8 bags per feeder, I have three. Or, $192-$240, each time they get filled. That is good for about 3-4 weeks tops. That is a lot of money for me. That is why I started collecting acorns from in-town, and transporting them to my feeders. i collected roughly 130-150 gallons of acorns last year. it did not last long, but was very popular.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:17 am

The last three years, I've been getting my corn from my uncle who was buying a gravity trailer full, so I was getting it at a discount. He's stopped hunting because of my aunt's health, and sold his gravity trailer, so this year I'm going to have to buy it by the bag, instead of by the bushel. That means at least 2-6 dollars more than what I've been paying. I tried planting my own several years ago, but the seed got pretty expensive, and then having to pay someone to come in with a picker and harvest it was a hassle, since no one want's to work small plots. I then tried breaking it by hand, but with my health problems that became too big of a chore. Besides, by the time I bought seed, fertilizer, and fuel to plant and cultivate, on top of the time and hassle of doing it myself, I wasn't really saving that much..........and that was when I could still buy corn for less than $4.00 per bag. I'm not sure what I'll do this year, due to the rising prices, but without bait, it's almost impossible to pull the deer out of the swamps during shooting hours.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:28 pm

My Buck Lives !!!!! Was wondering if he made it from last year , got a pic of him 2 days after putting out the corn pile, along with a smaller buck with a little kicker point. Now I am finally excited about getting out there again this season.

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Can I post pics here of my droptine buck on deerpotion this season ?? If so ,,,, how is best way?

Previous

Return to General Discussions