Bucks and does that disappear from your property

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
lukek33

Bucks and does that disappear from your property

Postby lukek33 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:52 am

Ok so I am reaching out now after about five years of frustration and trying to figure out what's going on or what am I doing wrong. I met this girl five years ago and long story short we got married. Her aunt had some hunting land she let me hunt on, on the end of a swamp 40 acres parrellel to a highway. I setup shop with baiting during legal times of the year on the edge of her property with a nice shack about 50-60 yards away from my pile and game camera. And in the last five years I've manage to harvest deer but this goes back to my main concern. I've caught bucks and mature does on my camera several times in the last five years as they'll be there early in the year up to about September and then they disappear, and I'm having especially in the last three years different deer show up every year. And I'm getting bucks I've never seen one day then they are gone for the year. I can't seem to figure out what's going on! I did manage to get a 7 pointer three years ago that I've never seen come through before. My gues is they are crossing through the swamp and I'm not seeing them. But I don't understand how they'll nail my bait then disappear the bucks mostly. If somebody could help id appreciate it. Thank you!

rthomas4

Re: Bucks and does that disappear from your property

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Since you didn't tell us where you are located, or any description of hunting that goes on around your area, it's hard to be specific. Besides, we are talking about deer so specifics don't apply, anyhow. I'd imagine that there may be some hunting pressure being applied on properties surrounding yours. Also, it's not unusual for the deer to simply vanish during the rut. There could be better food sources, such as a heavy acorn crop in the swamp that pulls them away from your bait, or there could be some agriculture or food plots on surrounding properties. It's not unusual to see strange bucks during the rut, when they are out cruising for hot does, and during the pre-rut the younger bucks are being pushed out of the area by the bigger more dominant bucks. Those big dominant bucks will lock down on does that about to come into heat, and often manage to keep those does corralled in the bedding areas. You might actually need to search out travel routes and go into the swamp (if you have permission to hunt it) in order to find out exactly where the deer are holding up. Another thing to remember is that often deer will change their patterns when the weather changes. What they do in the spring and summer may not be what they do in the fall and winter. I'd move that trail camera to some other locations and leave it for a week or two and see what shows up in the pictures, and then decide where to relocate my stand, if I were in your position.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:32 pm

This year is the first time in a long, long while that I've found corn in the belly of a deer I've shot. That is probably because the acorn crop was a flop, and they are hitting the feeders. Normally I see zero corn. That tells me something.

My guess in your case is something similar: there is something more attractive to the deer than your bait.

I hunted a similar situation year ago: deer like crazy until season started then they pulled a disappearing act. In that instance, the problem was a combination of poaching and lack of food.

You may want to consider something besides bait to bring them in. It may be a food plot with some sort of late-season delicacy might bring them in after they've worn out the acorns. I don't know what that might be-- I'm not familiar with your area, but it might be a line to research.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MZS

Postby MZS » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:19 pm

You might have neighbors pulling them off with their own bait. And perhaps the prime bedding areas are closer to their bait than yours. Deer will go to the closer source of food.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Deer eat and can/have survived without bait piles for a LOOONG time. They are not "disappearing" from your area. They may be disappearing from the keyhole view that you see if you can only locate them by camera over a bit pile, which is in reality only a microview of the areas they inhabit.

Find out what other natural foods they eat in your area, which kinds of those food sources are present in your area, and then learn how to ID and locate them. Then your deer will "reappear".
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

lukek33

Postby lukek33 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Yeah I apologies I hunt in Antigo, WI, and I have been moving my camera around a bit I have two. I have come to find out that the property behind the one I'm hunting on has let somebody hunt their land the last two years pretty heavy. There is a guy on the other side of my 40 with a food plot but we posted all the cams there and nothing I haven't seen on mine. I mean I am keeping does to my main area consistently so maybe that will get the big guy in. It's so close to the hunting opener here, I'm not sure if I want to poke around much. I tried apples longer this year and it seem to attract more bucks than the corn. The food plot consist of wintergreen and alfalfa. And we've seen all does on that. I'm beginning to wonder if the back property has something better than mine. Not many oaks where I'm at a lot of slash. It just gets a tad frustrating but maybe I'll have to go deeper in the swamp, its a possibility they are passing by through there. The swamp is super thick cover. And before I forget my lands right outside the Menominee res. thanks for the comments!

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:58 pm

My guess is, it simply what is called range shift. At different times of the year, some or all deer may completely change their home range. This is most common in late summer or early autumn and is tied to a change in food sources. Some deer may move an appreciable distance, others just a few hundred yards. Perfect example is when they move from field or food plots to woods when the mast starts dropping.

lukek33

Postby lukek33 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Thank you everybody for your information. Please keep on noteing in, so I can learn from all prospectives. I guess from what I read brings up another question, Can I do anything to bring them back to my property? Thank you again for all your help!

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:45 am

Check with local feed and seed dealers, or county extension agents and find out what type of food plots attract and hold deer in your area. Then plant several plots on your hunting land and don't just rely on bait.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

beijatuse

Postby beijatuse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:01 am

lukek33 wrote:Thank you everybody for your information. Please keep on noteing in, so I can learn from all prospectives. I guess from what I read brings up another question, Can I do anything to bring them back to my property? Thank you again for all your help!

I guess it won't be possible to bring them back plus even if you'll bring them back it would take a long time to get cope up with all the things around :(
So for this you may do one thing like you can build an artificial kind of house i.e similar to the one they were previously used to stay.

Next

Return to General Discussions