to old to hunt

crossbow

to old to hunt

Postby crossbow » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:11 pm

I recently moved from New York to Virginia.thank god. im 60 years old.never been hunting.id like to start deer hunting.since im a neophyte,i would greatly appreciate any advice on how to go about getting into the sport.thanks very much.

Deebz

Re: to old to hunt

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Being totally new to the sport, I'd say locate somebody who hunts and do your best to become friends with them. If they are like most people, they will be more than willing to help you out with getting ahold of gear and learning how to shoot/scout/etc...

If the area you moved to is anything like the area I live in, the same guys who are more than willing to share their stories, knowledge, and even old gear are MUCH less likely to give up any of their hunting grounds to a newbie. However, there may be clubs or leases you could pay your way into, and there is always public ground if no better option presents itself.

At the very least, start by deciding if you want to hunt with a gun or a bow, then start hanging out in stores like Cabela's or Bass Pro and check out as much stuff as you can to find what you like and can shoot well.

And by all means, keep asking questions here. There are several guys that know a lot about hunting deer and are more than willing to answer questions and offer advice.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:07 am

Crossbow....Your never too old to learn or start.
All depends on where you moved to in Va. We have mountains , swamps, flat land, beach areas and more. Each has it's own type of hunting. Dogs are popular in eastern Va. and not allowed west of the Blue Ridge. Some areas a filthy with deer and some not so much.
There are also several web forums local to Va. VaHunting.com and VirginiaSportsmen.com. There are people from all over the state on both that are willing to help and lend advise.
Good luck. And welcome to Va.
lead follow or get out of the way

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:53 am

NEVER TOO OLD TO HUNT. May have to hunt a little different ;) ;)
Doug

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 am

Welcome to the sport, and the forum.
You might want to invest in a pop up blind, and a small propane blind heater. It is much easier to enjoy the sport, and stay still, (very important) when you are not freezing your tail off.
I have been hunting all day, in 20-30 ° windy weather, with a 1000b but heater under my chair, and a wool blanket over my legs and chair.
This heater makes no noise or smell at all, and a one pound bottle lasts for several days.

I have had squirrels running over the blind, and digging right next to me. The blind hides most of the small fidgets that nearly every hunter makes, when sitting that long, and blocks off most of the wind.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

crossbow

Postby crossbow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:52 pm

thanks to all for your advice.

Return to Virginia