My New Food Plot Strategy

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
MZS

My New Food Plot Strategy

Postby MZS » Sat May 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I have a 1-acre food plot put in 2 years ago with help from a tractor. It attracts deer but the trouble is that it generally is too far from good cover so it tends not to hold deer. They come, they go. Since then, I got myself an ATV and ATV disk.

So here is what I am doing:
    I have created trails big enough for my ATV - I have a lot of sunny area good for growing right near some cover. This was logged 3.5 years back. I mowed the trails if they were covered with tall dead grass.
    Next, I disked the trails with my ATV disk and about 200 pounds of weight - just did this yesterday and am glad I did - today we got nearly 3" of rain and that makes our red clay quite a mess.
    In 2 -3 weeks, when stuff really starts greening up, I will kill off all the growth with a hand-held backpack sprayer and glysophate (roundup-type).
    After a few days to several weeks, whenever the weather looks to bring rain, I will plant my trail and then drag some old tires behind my ATV to flatten out and cover - the tires seem to work well on the clay. Then hope for "normal" rain, not an 8" flood like last year.
Once all is planted, I will stay off the trails that run near bedding areas. What I like about all this is that I get a fair amount of "food" plot (up to 1/2 acre), but spread out. Also, the trails make creation with an ATV much easier. I did about 1/5 acre like this last year and am pretty much doubling - what I planted in the trails all got munched down so I did not even have to worry about mowing. On the other hand, my 1-acre plot grew overly tall since only a small portion was browsed. Something different from last year is last year I started with weed killing - then it got a bit dry for a while and I had somewhat dried out clay that was hard to till up when I got to that step - this year I was able to till when it was just about right.

msbadger

Re: My New Food Plot Strategy

Postby msbadger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 am

Well it sound like you have a good plan working for you...If you have concerns with the food plot not getting used due to being Too open...try running strips of corn or sorghum with a climbing soybean through it...or plant fruit trees ...arrange them so it still gets plenty of sun when fully grown...semi dwarf...and with enough room to maneuver around ..The pic shows a very small clover area right in front of a blind ...in the corner of a bigger field...the cages are just a few of late apples and pear I planted...they will produce in a few years...A water tub will be put in there this summer as well...

IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG (210.38 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG (218.72 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

(SP)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

hillarysmith

Postby hillarysmith » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:08 am

That seems to be a good strategy. I think you should start harvesting.

http://www.fatlosspot.com/customized-fat-loss-review/

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:04 am

I should have known that with the name Hillary, you'd be a bitch! Sneaky way of spamming the sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, , ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL still flying the Stars and Bars!

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements