How to spend money? Best bang for the "buck"?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
pmsmith2032

How to spend money? Best bang for the "buck"?

Postby pmsmith2032 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm sure this has already been covered before but I am looking to get some ideas on how to spend my money to increase my chances to harvest a "trophy buck" (130" or better). I've been hunting for over 25 years and have harvested a lot of does and smaller bucks but never one over 80" or so. I am really a meat hunter but just once would like to shoot a larger buck.

A litlle background on my hunting.....I live in northern Illinois about an hour west of Chicago. I bow hunt public land in Illinois and rifle hunt in northern Wisconsin. I get out maybe a half dozen times in Illinois and hunt 3 or 4 days straight in Wisconsin. The land in Wisconsin is private and is all "big woods" (no agricultural). Here are some of the ideas I've had on how to spend the money:

1. A land lease - I would love to lease some land in northern Illinois to hunt but have been unsuccessful in the past. A couple of years ago my father and I placed ads looking for such land in surrounding county farming newspapers but did not have one offer. It seems it's next to impossible to lease land in northen Illinois.

2. Game cameras - I think purchasing a couple of game cameras might be very helpful but I don't think it would be a good idea to use them in Illinois (hunting pressure affects the movement of deer too much, they would likely be stolen, etc). They would be useful at our Wisconsin area but I only make it up there a couple of times a year (we have a summer house there but it is 6.5 hours away).

3. A new bow - I have a 2005 Bowtech Liberty. I know it's someone outdated but I haven't had any real issues with accuracy.

4. Rifles - I have a Ruger 77 30-06 and a Marlin 30-30. Both could probably use new triggers (factory triggers now), and the 30-30 could use a new scope (old Tasco 4x) and a laminate stock. Here again I've never had a problem with misses.

5. Blinds - I have a small spring pop-up blind that I use for rifle season (place a small propane heater in it) and a larger $100 hub blind that I just bought this season for bow hunting. Don't really think I need any thing in this department.

6. Treestands - I have a couple of older ladder stands and a Summit Viper climbing stand. I don't typically hunt out of a tree in Wisconsin (lots of hills and valleys and can be pretty cold and windy) and its hard to hunt with stands in Illinois. Some of the public places in Illinois allow treestands to be left over the season but I've never done this before.

7. Clothing - I have an older thinsulate suit and lots of polypropylene long underwear (some of it has the "silver" scent suppressor technology). I practice scent control (wash clothes in unscented soap, store them in totes with backing soda, shower using unscented soap, etc.) and have't really noticed deer scenting me. Ideally I'd like a less bulky suit for bowhunting, but it's not super important.

I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Ohio farms

Re: How to spend money? Best bang for the "buck"?

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:06 am

You have asked a long involved question, but I'll try to give you some advice to start with. Keep in mind that $ can't buy happiness nor can it buy big deer. Not to state the obvious, but to shoot older deer you have to hunt in an area that has them. Sometimes there may not be anything you can do about that.
Keep yourself and your equipment as clean and scent free as possible and hunt the wind. If your clothes keep you comfortable and warm, you will be able to stay in the deer woods longer and be more alert, if not spend some $ there. Chemical warmers can solve a lot of deficiency in clothing.
There are a couple of topics going on now that have to do with camo that you might want to check out.
Put in your time in the deer woods...can't shoot one sitting on the couch, as my Uncle used to tell me. Good luck.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 am

I wrote a novel a number of years ago. There was a discussion in there about using time travel to kill Hitler. The point of the discussion was to prove that, if you want to kill Hitler, you have to rearrange the Universe so that Hitler becomes killable. Then you have to stand back and ask yourself: did I really kill Hitler, or did I kill a parallel universe make-believe quasi Hitler, and in doing so, did I in turn do anything to change the Hitler in the original time line.

How, may you ask, does killing Hitler have anything to do with your question? Let me explain. Let me first off tell you that the easiest way to kill a big buck is to go somewhere that has big bucks, and pay someone for the chance to kill a big one. When you get done, what have you got? A dead deer that you paid a large sum of money to kill. Whether or not that appeals to you is for you to decide. A lot of folks do it. Any dollar you spend changes your hunting universe, whether it is for a new pair of boots or better underwear or a new lease. Now, how has that changed the whatever original goals you had for going deer hunting in the first place? I cannot answer that for you. That is what you have to answer.

Beyond that, I will tell you that any dollar you spend on stuff in order to get a better chance at getting a deer beyond what you have spent is not going to get you much further than you are.

What will get you farther down the road is sweat equity. Think boots on the ground, time spent afield. The short of it is: get out and hunt. When you are not out hunting, spend more time looking for places to hunt. When you find a place to hunt, look at improving the habitat to attract more doe. They will be the bait that brings in the big bucks. In the latter suggestion, do the cheap things first. in 13 years on my 200 acres, I will tell you that the inexpensive things like letting the cedars grow and edge-feathering the pastures have done more to bring in deer than food plots or supplemental feeding.

Mostly, it is time out in the bush that gets you a deer. Your 30-06 is fine. Your bow is probably fine. If you want to burn cash, burn it on more days afield, off-season scouting, and the eternal search for the new piece of land. Any dollar you spend towards those things will pay a dividend.

Here is another thing that will get you down the road. If you spend most of your time in-town, away from your hunting grounds, invest time observing deer close to your house. If there are deer in a local cemetery or county park, go find them and observe them. It will be of immeasurable help later on.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:34 am

Here's a quote from Wikipedia regarding the Hitler Paradox. It takes things in a different direction than I was saying, but there is relevance to what we're discussing:

A variant of the grandfather paradox is the Hitler paradox or Hitler's murder paradox,[4] a fairly frequent trope in science fiction, in which the protagonist travels back in time to murder Adolf Hitler before he can instigate World War II. Rather than necessarily physically preventing time travel, the action removes any reason for the travel, along with any knowledge that the reason ever existed, thus removing any point in travelling in time in the first place.[5] Additionally, the consequences of Hitler's existence are so monumental and all-encompassing that for anyone born in the decades after World War II, it is likely that the grandfather paradox would directly apply in some way (say, if your great-grandparents were Holocaust refugees, or even if the train your parents met on was constructed as part of the war effort).[6]

The point I'm trying to make in relation to this version of the Hitler Paradox is this: How does the amount of money spent change the challenge of hunting the big buck? In the end, does it remove or alter the original point in going afield in the first place?

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:21 pm

First he gets on about Hitler, and time travel, now he's answering himself. What's up with this guy.

Sorry. I did have an idea for you, more along your original question and possibly a bit of "stuff" that might help.

Get a 50' hank of camo poly cord, some clothes pins and some die-cut camo material. Follow my instructions for fast easy ground blind construction:
Lazy Boy Pt II

and then read about portable stumps from this guy:
Doctor Ken Norberg

My idea is similar to Norbergs, except I take the time to build a quick blind in front of me so that it breaks up my outline and the deer are less likely to see me.

I suggest that you do this in place of the pop-up blinds. Even though they are fairly easy to set up, they tend to anchor you to one spot for the day. The shamanic quick-blind and the Norberg Portable Stump together might be a winning combination for you.

pmsmith2032

Postby pmsmith2032 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for the responses. Here are copies of an aerial and plat map of the area I hunt in Wisconsin. The red box represents the lot the house is located on, the areas highlighted in yellow represent state land, and the areas highlighted in orange represent private land we have permission to hunt. The public land highlighted in yellow comprises approximately 625 acres and the private land highlighted in orange is about 20 acres total. The black dot towards the bottom is the approximate area where I sat the first two days this season (I did not see one set of tracks in the snow anywhere near this area). The dot across from the house represents the area where I shot the doe and we saw at least 10 deer. The nice thing about setting up on the private land is that a blind or treestand can be left out......treestands and blinds must be removed daily on state land. I think there might be some people that hunt to the north of the house but no one hunts to the south.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (162.15 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Wisconsin.jpg
Wisconsin.jpg (173.78 KiB) Viewed 667 times

MiBassMan

Postby MiBassMan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Sell the 30-30 and buy a muzzle loader. Save your vacation time and hunt the late seasons. Hunt as far from other people as you can. Pass up every deer you see until you see your trophy.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Hunt where the most bucks are. Really large bucks will have a lot of does around, and time you have a lot of does around you have a lot of bucks around, so hunt where there are a lot of bucks.

Return to General Discussions