Anyone here hunt feral hogs?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
1911p

Anyone here hunt feral hogs?

Postby 1911p » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 pm

It seems were have some feral hogs in my county. I've never seen any of them or heard of any being killed or sighted, but the DGIF says they're here, and I've read news articles that say they're here in my county as well,, so it must be true.

I would like to hunt them. From what I've read in articles I found on the web, they sound like a challenge to hunt, probably as much a challenge as black bear, maybe more, and I like ham, pork chops, and bacon, so it's all good. I know what to look for, but I've never found any sign of hog activity, except where there were people raising domestic hogs. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Anyone here hunt hogs? Where are the best places to look for them, and what's the best approach to hunting them?

Deebz

Re: Anyone here hunt feral hogs?

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:36 am

I've never hunted them myself, but I also would really like to. I'm glad we don't really have them in my area, because they are VERY destructive in large numbers and can often outcompete the deer populations.

However, if I was going in blind, I'd try to talk to farmers/landowners. I would assume they would be the first ones to notice signs of hog activity. I know they like to wallow around in mudholes and such, and they root up lots of farm ground to eat all the way down to the roots and such from the plants. Apparently it's pretty unmistakable when they have been using an area as the ground gets really torn up.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:43 am

I do. Not as a primary target but I do it.(fortunately we can hunt them year round so they can be a wonderful by product say.........when squirrel or deer hunting)

My thoughts.
They are smart. They are dumb.

When I have scouted public land, I have walked up to within spitting distance before they bolted. Many times.
Once the season opens..like deer....where'd they go? Image

I have pvt land I hunt year round, I have walked to my stand and stumbled in the ruts they have made from rooting they are so thick,,,,yet in 4 years I have NEVER seen a hog during daylight when I hunt. On my camera at daylight, but not when I am there. My surrounding land is heavily hunted with dogs and trapped, these hogs know what it means when a truck is parked where it shouldn't be, Very smart. :geek:

Other area''s/properties, put out your feeder, sit on a box behind a camo screen (buddy of mine props up a wooden pallet for cover and sits on a chair in a firelane) and kill away, They come running when the bell goes off. They are so dumb. :?:

Some of the ways/means we have killed hogs.
First, you gotta know they are there,. Poop, rooting, on camera visually seeing them.

If you can use a feeder, get it up in their area. Get a pop up, natural blind or a pallet :D , sit and wait (assuming you know they are coming into your feeder)
Pigs smell and hear well, they don't see all that well. You can spot them when walking. They do like thick stuff, and won't hesitate to walk though swamp. You can walk upon them on the right conditions. We like to go to large tracts and hit the thick brush/palmettos/swamp. Another fella will walk or hang out on a firelane/clearings between cover, and often times the entire drove will come out and stand right in the open. (this will happen when your solo too)
Head shot are largely preferred. As I mentioned, we'll encounter them while squirrel hunting and a .22,.... couple shots to the ear will do them in just fine.
There are tons of methods, ways and means fella's have. Like I said, I haven't ever targeted hogs, its always a by-product kill but itis enjoyable (the meat ain't to bad either ;) ) Hope i've offered something of value.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Luckily I don't have 'em on my property, and so far we haven't had any on our dog club; but they are right across the swamp from us. I've butchered quite a few, cooked even more, but have never killed one. SC is over run with 'em, but the people who have 'em have recognized the profits to be made from selling hunts and I'm not about to pay some guy to get rid of his pests, when I figure he should be paying hunters to get rid of his problems.

One word of advice, if you do manage to hunt and kill hogs and you want the meat; then don't kill the big boars. Kill the sows and the young pigs. The boar meat tastes as bad as the boar smells. Some people claim that if you castrate a boar time you kill it, that will eliminate the bad taste...........don't believe that bull sh*t, either!!!!!!! There's a reason domesticated boars are castrated as pigs, so consider that before killing a big boar!!!!! Also, skin wild hogs, instead of dipping and scraping. It's impossible to get the mud, muck and sh*t out of a wild hog's hide.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:23 pm

rthomas: My brother-in-law works in meat science. He was actually in research and development for Smithfield Ham for awhile. He graduated from U of I where he got his degree in meat science. He claims that the "boar taint" taste to the meat of a big 'ol boar is actually a genetic marker in people. It's true that the meat from an old boar will taste awful to most people, but there are some people who are not affected by it. They basically can't taste the nastiness. He said he didn't believe it, but he apparently is one of those people who aren't affected. He claims the meat from an old boar doesn't taste any different (aside from toughness) than any other pork he eats.

thought that was crazy. I've never tried boar meat, so I have no idea myself, but my wife's uncle killed a big russian boar that hadn't been cut on a game farm some years ago and he said they fed all the meat to his dogs because it tasted so bad.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

1911p

Postby 1911p » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'm going to have to become a hog detective, and start canvasing the local farms. There's a lot of farm land around here, so if there are any hogs somebody should want rid of them.

I'll check with an update on the local hog situation once I've talked to some folks.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:16 pm

start with local diners/coffee shops...farmers tend to congregate there.... seed salesmen would be a good source of info as well, they already talk to most of the farmers in their area

1911p

Postby 1911p » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Good ideas, thanks.

I'm thinking livestock feed would be a good way to attract any hogs that might be around.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Corn is a no fail attractant, just like it is for deer. Even with the current corn prices, it's still cheaper than most other attractants, and definitely cheaper than buying feed.

BTW, I must be one of the folks with the genetic marker. I went to a bar-b-q where the guy cooked an old boar, and even the smell of it cooking told me I didn't want to eat any of it.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:51 pm

The deer around here don't go for corn too much, they seem to prefer acorns and hickory nuts, they'll go for the corn in the dead of winter when there isn't much else for them. There's a cornfield on one of my spots, it's probably about 2 acres. I searched that corn field from one end to the other looking for deer sign, and didn't the first track. Now up in the woods there are lots of tracks, but none in the corn field.

The hogs I'm not sure about, I hear they'll eat just about anything that won't eat them, and I also hear they like to eat all the acorns more so than the deer do. I can't allow that, them deer have to get their proper nutrition so they can grow nice racks.

Next

Return to General Discussions