Best budget trail camera?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
pmsmith2032

Best budget trail camera?

Postby pmsmith2032 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 pm

I am looking to buy a couple of trail cameras and was wondering what the best ones under $75 (ideally $50) would be. This will be my first trail camera and will be used on public land so I don't want to spend a lot. I'm not worried about super clear pictures...just trying to determine if there are any decent bucks in a given area. I know Menards has a Wildgame Innovations 6 MP Infrared Camo Digital Scouting Camera on sale for $57.88 and a Wildgame Innovations N6 Infrared 6 MP Digital Scouting Camera on clearance for $44.99 but I have no idea if these are junk or not. I can't use bait so I'm thinking that I'll have to hang them so they are facing down a trail (due to slow trigger rates). Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sailfish

Re: Best budget trail camera?

Postby Sailfish » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:22 am

its hit or miss on WGI. Some folks love them others despise them.
I actually like them, picked a couple up over the years for < $70
One died after 4 years

If you check the sales like Gander, dicks etc you should be able to pick something up right now for what you are looking for.
I agree with your approach, as long as you can get some daytime pics.........why spend much when its going to be on public land
There are some unscrupulous characters out there.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

pmsmith2032

Postby pmsmith2032 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I've narrowed it down to the following 3 cameras:

Wildgame Red 6

It's the cheapest ($44) of the three and I like the fact that I can buy two almost for the price of one of the Primos Truth 35 ($79). I won't feel as bad if it's stolen (I'm assuming there is a 50/50 chance of this right now since this will be the first time I use one on public land).
Trigger speed is around a second and recovery is around 22 seconds per a review.
It's sold at Menards so it's easy for me to buy one and return if not what I want. Also, I have some credit from returns so might be able to buy one or two extra.
The detection zone is poor and limited.....40-50 ft tops.
Mixed reviews. Some people like them and others don't. Seems to me that this might be a decent camera but it gets a bad rap because of some of their other poor cameras. Some play poor construction.
Battery life seems to be okay based on reviews but it runs on C batteries so no recharables.
Pictures can be blurry but I'm not too worried about that. Night time picture are very poor. I'm just trying to determine if there are mature bucks in a given area.....not looking for high quality pics to share with friends.

Covert MP-E5

Mid-priced of the three. Have someone who is willing to sell me two new ones for $100 ($50 each).
Slow recovery.....claims 36 seconds but I've read it can be over a minute. Trigger time is just over a second.
Wide detection zone.
Generally good reviews.
Good picture quality
Compatible with a python cable lock.
Runs on AA batteries so can use rechargeables.

Primos Truth Cam 35

Most expensive of the three ($79).
1.5 sec trigger speed
6.5 recovery speed so MUCH better than the other two.
Wide detection zone. The range is consistently out to 45 ft.
Picture quality isn't the greatest but again isn't all that important to me.
Excellent battery life.
Gets best reviews.
Easily compatible with a python cable lock.
I think the best camera of the three but also the most expensive.

Right now I'm undecided between the three so any help is appreciated!

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Forget the Wildgame Innovations crap, 'cause that's what they are. I've had 4 or 5 of their cameras and none has functioned properly for longer than 6 months. I've gone exclusively with cuddeback and Moultrie: and if I could afford it I'd switch all of mine to cuddeback. I have one cuddy that is well over 6 years old, and it's the absolute best camera I've ever owned. I wish they still made the old Capture flash version which is what mine is. BTW, I leave my cameras out year 'round and have previously owned Bushnell, stealthcam, and a few other brands....none of which have held up like the cuddy. The Moultries are the closest thing to the cuddy, I've found.

You can find Moultrie cameras for around $60.00 bucks at Amazon, True-Value and Ace hardware stores, Tractor Supply and often at BassPro when they run sales.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

MiBassMan

Postby MiBassMan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Of the three you have listed the Covert would be my hands down easy choice. The truth cam would be second, but the Covert is smaller and used AA batteries and has better battery life. As others have said, the wildgame cams are always a big gamble as to quality and durability.

Return to General Discussions