What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
1-GTOHunter

Re: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:43 am

Classic2.....if Your Hunting thick cover/woods,brush etc,I would reccomend a 30-30 Rifle.They work great when You have a combination of open terrain,then thick woods and brush and the new Hornady LeveRevolution shells will make that 30-30 reach out even further.If Your in a more open area a .243 will do very well for longer ranges but the heaviest grain bullet I could get for my Browning .243 was a 100 grain Hornady Custon bullet....good shot placement is the key to putting down a Deer.I ended up buying me another Rifle 2 years ago and I'm simply thrilled with it also...got a Savage Model 11 wood stock 7mm-08 that is light on the recoil and very accurate using 140 grain bullets is has some serious knock-down power.I harvested a nice 8-Point Buck in 2010 and a very nice 11-Point Buck in the Nov 2011 Deer Season,dropped both Bucks in their tracks with that 7mm-08 so I can't complain. ;)

I know of several Hunters around here that brag on the .270 Caliber Rifles and the 25-06,the .308 is another good Deer caliber too and as mentioned earlier it is close to the good old reliable 30-06.Another thing to consider is if You have a Bolt-Action Rifle that has a little too much recoil You can buy the Remington Managed Recoil Shells and tame down an existing Rifle You already own.I bought the MR shells for an older Remington Bolt-Action 30-06 I purchased a few years ago and finally sighted it in last year...I was impressed with the light recoil that was as light as a .243 Rifle and I was grouping clover leaf shots at 100 yards! :o :shock:

FwayneFc

Postby FwayneFc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 pm

I presently use a Winchester Model 70, pre 64 in 243.

joe12180

Postby joe12180 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:48 am

Currnetly a custom TC Encore in 444 Marlin, also have a Pro Hunter .50 cal muzzle loading barrel for it both topped with a leupold VX3 1.5x5 scope.
My backup is a Marlin 444ss also topped with the same scope, it was my hunting rifle until I replaced it with the Encore.

Postby 3212 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:31 pm

I started with a Marlin 30-30 I bought at the Navy base store when I was discharged.I took 16 deer with it.Next, I bought a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .243 from an old friend before he died.I've taken 45 deer with it.My latest rifle is a Ruger M77 stainless/laminated in .243 for wet weather.I've taken 2 deer with it.

cm1al

Postby cm1al » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Hey guys new here, I found this topic very interesting .
I have used a Winchester 94 trapper 30/30(I love this gun) , supper x 150gr power point since I was 17,(50 now) till last year (can't see the sights anymore).
last year my son gave me an early x-mas gift of a enfeild 1917 made by Winchester 30/06 w/ a4x scope on it , sporterized (?), I got my deer never having shot the rifel before opening day. It kicks like a mule with super x 180gr. power points.
I decided to sight it in because it hit hi&left, bought a recoil pad, just for grins checked the ring screws lose, tightened, and off I went after 16 rounds at 100yrds I got 3 shot group I could cover with my thumb, 3inches hi. dead center.
I think I'm good.
sorry for the long post but I enjoy hunting/shooting stories figgered I'd share one on
my gun :D
Seabees best branch of the military
USNR (Ret)

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 pm

DSCN6098post.jpg
DSCN6098post.jpg (329.8 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
My brother (one year older than me) died of cancer in 2001. When I visited him prior to his death, he asked me what he should do with his deer rifle. I told him he needed to pass it on to his only son. Well, last weekend while I was attending a family reunion in Milwaukee,Wisconsin, I met up with that nephew. He told me that he doesn't hunt and then said that he'd like me to have his dad's rifle. He hadn't taken it out of the case in the past decade. He gave me my brother's Browning A-Bolt in 270 WIN. There's a Bushnell Scopechief VI 2.5-8X on top of it. According to the serial number, the gun is a 1989 build. Being as I live in a non rifle state, I'm gonna have to visit either Michigan, where the father in law has a farm, or go back to my old stomping grounds in Alabama. This gun has never taken a deer and I plan to change that come this fall. What a lovely way to remember my older brother.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:45 am

Wanderer, I'm both happy and sad for you. But as one who carries his grandfather's guns, I understand the tribute fully. Use it well, and pass it on.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 am

Great Story Wanderer,I'm so sorry to hear about Your Brother. :|

I hope You harvest a nice Buck in Memory of Him,that would really be nice in my opinion!

My older Brother (only 10 months older actually) left me His .270 WSM when he passed away un-expectedly,I hunted 2 Deer Seasons before I finally got a nice Buck with His Rifle,that means more to me than anything in the world and I have the Buck on my wall with a plaque in memory of Terry!

WIPHEASANT

Postby WIPHEASANT » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55 am

I deer hunt with a Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum, Simmoms scope and Remington Slugger Mag slugs. I hunt from a tree stand and where I hunt it is usually 50 to 70 yard shots.

image.jpg
image.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
GUN CONTROL Should Mean a Balanced Stance and a Smooth Trigger Pull.

WIPHEASANT

Postby WIPHEASANT » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:00 am

Wanderer wrote:
DSCN6098post.jpg
My brother (one year older than me) died of cancer in 2001. When I visited him prior to his death, he asked me what he should do with his deer rifle. I told him he needed to pass it on to his only son. Well, last weekend while I was attending a family reunion in Milwaukee,Wisconsin, I met up with that nephew. He told me that he doesn't hunt and then said that he'd like me to have his dad's rifle. He hadn't taken it out of the case in the past decade. He gave me my brother's Browning A-Bolt in 270 WIN. There's a Bushnell Scopechief VI 2.5-8X on top of it. According to the serial number, the gun is a 1989 build. Being as I live in a non rifle state, I'm gonna have to visit either Michigan, where the father in law has a farm, or go back to my old stomping grounds in Alabama. This gun has never taken a deer and I plan to change that come this fall. What a lovely way to remember my older brother.

I wish you a the luck in the world and God's blessing.
GUN CONTROL Should Mean a Balanced Stance and a Smooth Trigger Pull.

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo