What gun to buy?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
hunter4life

What gun to buy?

Postby hunter4life » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Need help buying a gun .270 or .243

shaman

Re: What gun to buy?

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm a fan of 30-06 and .308 and .300 Savage. However, I think 270 WIN makes a dandy deer cartridge. I'm a bit less enamored with 243, but only because I see a lot of folks carping about how this bullet blew up and this one didn't penetrate, etc. You're driving a .243 bullet pretty fast in most factory loads. I've shied away from 243 WIN for that reason. However, having said that, I've got a new-to-me 25-06 that is still awaiting its first blood. Go figure-- halfway between a .243 and a .270.

Truth is any centerfire rifle cartridge will kill a deer. If you dig around on my weblog, I devote a lot of time to these sorts of discussions, but the bottom line is they're all pretty good.

It would help if I knew more of your situation. What sort of land are you hunting? What sort of ranges? Are you recoil adverse?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Winchester mod 70 in 308
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:17 am

I'm a fan of the .308 cartridge, myself. I do own a couple of .270s, a .30-06. .300WSM, 7mm-08. .243, a few .223s, a .220 Swift, and two .308s, so I have a choice. In my opinion the smaller calibers are capable of killing deer IF the person behind the gun is proficient enough to consistently hit their target within the established ranges of the gun's established limits. With that being said, I have my most confidence in my .308s and normally carry my T/C Encore since it's been one of the most accurate and consistent guns I own. Previously I depended mostly on my Ruger Mark VII .308, but after acquiring the T/C, it's become my "go to" rifle. I like the compactness and the lack of recoil, plus when coupled with the Winchester SuperX 150 grain power point ammo, it's proven to be a deer slayer.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

hunter4life

Postby hunter4life » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:58 pm

shaman wrote:I'm a fan of 30-06 and .308 and .300 Savage. However, I think 270 WIN makes a dandy deer cartridge. I'm a bit less enamored with 243, but only because I see a lot of folks carping about how this bullet blew up and this one didn't penetrate, etc. You're driving a .243 bullet pretty fast in most factory loads. I've shied away from 243 WIN for that reason. However, having said that, I've got a new-to-me 25-06 that is still awaiting its first blood. Go figure-- halfway between a .243 and a .270.

Truth is any centerfire rifle cartridge will kill a deer. If you dig around on my weblog, I devote a lot of time to these sorts of discussions, but the bottom line is they're all pretty good.

It would help if I knew more of your situation. What sort of land are you hunting? What sort of ranges? Are you recoil adverse?

Ihunt in alberta im 12 and looking for a gun its real hilly and i hunt wite tail and moose at about 100-200 yards

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:41 pm

There's a lot of different options for a 100 yard to 200 yard cartridge.

.30-30 Winchester
.308 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield
.30-40 Krag
.338 Federal
.348 Winchester
.358 Winchester
.35 Whelen
.375 Winchester
.405 Winchester
.45-70 Government
.450 Marlin

As you can see, I prefer larger diameter bullets, but you get the gist. Any bullet put in the right place will get the job done.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:17 am

Hunting moose....That would lead me to believe you'd want the biggest caliber you can handle. I may be wrong, but something that is as big as moose would make me want to put as big a bullet as possible into the kill zone.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:42 pm

If you want to do Moose, I'd take a small step up and go with a 30-06. It has a wider range of bullets available, and I know you can take a Moose with 30-06 180 grainers. All my kids got a 30-06 when they came of age. It'll handle anything in North America outside of possibly the biggest bears. They shoot 150 grain loads and find them quite reasonable on whitetails.

If moose is in the mix, don't choose the 243. The 270 WIN would DEFINATELY be a better choice for moose between the two choices you gave originally.

Being 12, you're may be right on the cusp of being able to handle an adult stock. My sons differed on when they moved to adult-sized rifles. Mooseboy, #2 son, was using an M1 Garand. Angus, #3 son, was on a youth-stocked 30-06 at 12. Having the right-sized rifle stock makes a lot of difference in how much recoil you feel. Before you buy a particular rifle, do a little research. I'd recommend a rifle that is adult-sized (rifle barrel, etc.) but has an aftermarket youth stock available. That way, if you find the stock is too long, you can buy a $50 yute stock and throw it on for a few years until you're finished growing. Then put the adult stock back on and save the yute stock for your first kid.

Angus is turning 16 this spring. I just put away the last youth stock this summer, but my first grand daughter (little Mooselette) is turning 2 soon. It won't be long before that youth stock comes back out of the closet again.

BTW: As much as I like the 308 WIN, I will just say that in this case I'd prefer 30-06. Why?

308 WIN -- short action
30-06 -- long action

30-06 has a longer action than 308 WIN so it is going to be a heavier rifle. Heavier rifles mean less recoil. Yes, it'll weigh more to carry it, but it'll be easier on your shoulder. My #2 son, Moose was shooting an M1 Garand for several years-- a 10.5 lb rifle. The recoil on it was much less than my 8 lb Savage 99 in 308 WIN.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Funny thing about rifles and recoil. I have two Winchester model 70s. One in .270 and the other in .300wsm, both have the synthetic stocks; but the .270 kicks a hell of a lot harder than the .300. I also have a Savage 110 synthetic .30-06, which is the hardest recoiling rifle I own. I realize that synthetic stocks will impart more recoil than a wooden stock in most instances, but down here with the swamps and the long season that often includes some very rainy days in a tree stand the synthetic is preferred. I do own some beautiful wooden stocked rifles, but seldom hunt with them unless I'm staying on the ground and out of the weather..........and certainly not in the swamp! BTW, the shotguns I take into the swamp on dog drives are also synthetics, since I've been known to unintentionally go for a swim with them.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:00 pm

A big component of recoil is the weight of the rifle. Wood or not, the weight of the rifle will go a long way to determining how much you feel and the duration of the impulse. A heavier rifle will reduce felt recoil. My one son hunted with a 15 lb 30-06 for several years, and loved it. I'd loaded the stock with 7.5 lbs of lead. It's a joy to shoot-- not to lug through the woods, but once in the blind with a nice sill and a sandbag to shoot from, it's awesome.

A second thing, harder to quantify is fit. A stock that is too short gets held out away from the shoulder. A stock that has too much drop or too much comb will knock your around. A stock that has too sharp of a comb will feel like you're getting chopped in the jaw.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo