idea ? or flop

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

idea ? or flop

Postby Homunculi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:54 pm

i have been asked to make my jerky to sell at the local farmers market ... and refused several times .. due to the fact i make DEER jerkey and it is against the law of selling wild game products ..

but i was given an idea ... sounds a little tastie and i can get a few $$ more per ounce on the jerky .. made with beef not deer ...

when i make my jerky i do a wet soak for 24 to 36 hours prior to the dehydrator .. for a nice flavorfull and long chew jerky ..

but this idea would be for a adult crowd ..

the idea is to get the spice kits and replace 25% of the water for the spice kit with bourbon ir sippin whiskey ..

i would get more money per OZ of the jerky but would have a limited crowd i would be able to sell it too ... and it would mean i would need to do double batches one with and one without ..

would cracked peppercorn and garlic jerky with a hint of JD, beam, or spiced rum in the flavor sound good to you ?

or just stick to my jerky recipe ... and leave to booze out ? ... :?:
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

kellory

Re: idea ? or flop

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 pm

No need for age issues. All the alcohol will be gone. Only the flavor left behind, and you might not like that. Try a batch for yourself first, and see if you like it. I think there are better things to add to the mix.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 am

My guess is you can do better than the spice kits-- cheaper too.

As a for instance, my processor of many years let me in on his recipe: Dale's Steak Seasoning and Montreal Steak Seasoning. I found out Kroger's Steak Seasoning was about the same as Dale's (it's the stuff in the bottle) and then got a big container of Montreal Steak Seasoning from Sam's and went to work. Good stuff, and the ingredients lent themselves to large batches. Now the addition of some whiskey would probably take some experimenting, but it would work.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

1911p

Postby 1911p » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:03 am

You won't have to put any age limits on your jerky, the alcohol will evaporate off during the process much the way it does during distillation with the exception that you're not capturing it. Hardee's; For example, makes "Thickburgers" with Jack Daniel's whiskey, but you don't have to be of legal drinking age to buy one.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:53 pm

big fan of bourbon street steaks .. not a big fan of spirits ... and we were joking about this one day at the range .. other then the 6 guys rhat hang out up there i just wanted to hear some other thoughts on the idea ...

so with my spice kits (spice and cure salt) i need 1/4th cup of water per pound .. so 1 1/2 cups of water would be needed ..
i was just thinking if i added a half cup bourbon ( just for flavor i know the alc will not be a factor or restrictive for age) would be very expensive if i used all bourbon .. ... this thought is for nothing but adding an additional flavor into my jerky ...

yes the first batch would be for me personally :D i just wanted input on if it would ruin the batch or not

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

1911p

Postby 1911p » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:16 pm

That's going to be a matter of personal taste.

I've known people who used to put beer or spirits in all sorts of stuff, chillie, eggs, you name it. They loved the taste it gave the food, and other people who drank liked it to. Other people, who didn't drink, some of them liked it, but then there were those who despise drinking of any sort, and they hated it, wouldn't touch it. Deer hunters are a mixed crowd, so you'll have some who do and some who don't.

As far as spoiling the batch, again it's personal taste I suppose, but the only sure way to know is to try it. Maybe make a half batch or 1/4 batch for starters, just scale back the recipe. If it's good, tell us the recipe! :mrgreen:

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:55 pm

heh ... found what looks like a good recipe

http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/ ... ffin-jerky

will have to give it a go and let you know

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 am

it is done and out of the dehydrator ....

smells good .... and TASTES FAN FREAKIN TASTIC !!!!!!!! :D :D :D

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Return to General Discussions