What is this for?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
1911p

What is this for?

Postby 1911p » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:40 pm

I found this bucket in the woods while scouting for bear sign. I've seen a few of these in NC, but this is the first one I've found in VA.

What are these buckets with the PVC fitting in the bottom used for? I'm thinking maybe some sort of feeder, or maybe it's how they released all those lady bugs we have now.

StrangeBucket.jpg
StrangeBucket.jpg (133.3 KiB) Viewed 985 times

Woods Walker

Re: What is this for?

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Maple sap tapping bucket? Moonshine? METH??!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:10 am

Most likely for collection of sap for maple syrup. The bucket acts like a funnel for the collection jar at the fitting. It may or may not have a filter screen there. You may find a few slashed or tapped trees near that bucket.
It may not be someone's trash, left behind. Deer, bears, raccoons, and many others have a sweet tooth, and may have hyjacked it from it's tree.
Many different kinds of people use the woods in their own ways. Some hunt mushrooms, or plants, some plant wild gardens, some bird watch, some hunt.
Just because it was found in the woods, doesn't mean it should not be there. Remember to share the forests. Those in camo, and those in orange. As well as every other citizen with a legal right to use the wilds as they see fit. (In accordance with state laws)
As much as I love hunting, public lands are for all of the public, not just us hunters.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:11 am

Good points there kellory, I've also hunted morel mushrooms, ginseng, blood root, may apple, and missile toe in the woods.

Some missile toe I found recently, it was actually much greener, but the way the sun was hitting it makes it look yellowish.
MisileToe1.jpg
MisileToe1.jpg (170.64 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Never collected maple sap though, always thought you needed to be farther north to get anything substantial, but never actually tried it. I noticed there were teeth marks on the fitting in the bottom of the bucket, must have been something in there that some critter wanted.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm thinking a feed dispenser. The critters have to move the bucket to get the feed out the fitting at the bottom. That would explain the teeth marks.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Damn, another post disappeared. I had the very first reply to the question, but it's gone!

The object in question is a 'coon feeder. When the top is removed, shelled corn is poured into the bucket. It's then tied or strapped to the bottom of a tree trunk with a wedge behind it so that it's at a slight angle. The pvc pipe is where the 'coons can stick their paws inside and grab a handful of corn. This helps keep squirrels and birds from getting to the corn, while enticing the 'coons to remain in the vicinity so that the 'coon hunter's dogs can pick up their trails easily.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:38 pm

rthomas4 wrote:Damn, another post disappeared. I had the very first reply to the question, but it's gone!

The object in question is a 'coon feeder. When the top is removed, shelled corn is poured into the bucket. It's then tied or strapped to the bottom of a tree trunk with a wedge behind it so that it's at a slight angle. The pvc pipe is where the 'coons can stick their paws inside and grab a handful of corn. This helps keep squirrels and birds from getting to the corn, while enticing the 'coons to remain in the vicinity so that the 'coon hunter's dogs can pick up their trails easily.

That makes sense, since there are a lot of coon hunters around here. I guess I should say "dog hunters", cause they hunt with dogs anything that a dog will chase. Mostly coons and bear, we have a chase season and a chase/kill season on coons and bear here. Some guys use it as an excuse, they take their dogs and drop them off at a friends house, then go chasing something else. :mrgreen:

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Quite likely a feed dispenser, often used to bait deer. Seen many of them. Feed, usually pellets or cubes go in the bucket, come out the spout when the bucket is shaken. Deer learn quickly to shake the bucket. They are wired or tied to trees.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 am

Deer feeders have larger outlets and when a barrel is used, will have several outlets if it doesn't have a spinner plate. This one is without a doubt a 'coon feeder as I previously stated. I live where we run deer with dogs, and where plenty of people also run 'coons with dogs; so I've seen these for as long as plastic buckets have been available. Besides, deer feeders have larger capacities than a mere 5 gallon bucket. You skeptics will just have to trust an old SC fart when I tell you what it is!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm taking rthomas4's answer as the correct one. We had a lease in NC where there are 3 things to hunt, deer, coons, and gold, and I found several of these buckets there. I've also seen deer feeders there, and they're larger, and different with a spinner plate. I've made a lot of homemade mining equipment, but could never see how one of these would be useful really.

Coon feeder, yep!

Return to General Discussions