best way to attach saftey harness to tree on my ladder stand

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Re: best way to attach saftey harness to tree on my ladder s

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:02 pm

cvcman wrote:yea i did leave it...again I attach the caribeiner to the tree using the strap so I just climb up and hook the caribeiner onto my harness...I used to just leave it on there for the season then take t down....better start doing that again

shouldnt be a problem leaving it for a month right ? Also using the caribeiner should be safe too ?

Don't leave it. UV light rapidly degrades the nylon in the harness material reducing its strength dramatically. Remember that this thing might have to take a 3000lb shock. Any sign of fading, fraying, etc should be reason for immediate replacement. If it ever gets used in a fall, replace it.

I have to work on scissor lifts and have to keep a harness on to run cables. The training I got from our Safety Manager put the Fear of God into me about my harness equipment. They look sturdy, but you really have to be careful with them. The harness I wear at work is much stronger than most hunting harnesses I've seen.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:21 pm

If the "caribeener" is a real one made by black diamond or some other climbing gear company then it should be safe. If it was picked up at sears, or tractor supply, or some such, it is not for climbing! I use a black diamond carabeener rated for 800lbs. What you find most places is aluminum junk and steel (not strong enough and heavier) real ones cost 20-35 dollars apiece and are titanium. I use a lifting strap rated much higher than that for my personal tether point.
I use ratcheting tie down straps for any loose stands, and they are rated much higher than the originals. They are not left out long term. They are replaced anytime they show wear.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

cvcman

Postby cvcman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:38 pm

lifting strap ??? this is really not a caribeainer,,,its a heavy steel spring latch teardrop shapped clip...it was rated at like 5k pounds...I only weigh 140...just looking for an easy safe way to attach to the tree without having to restrap everytime

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:39 pm

The 'biner is probably okay, except you may want to use one that has the additional feature of a barrel screw that allows you to tighten it down and keep the 'biner from opening.

The problem here, is not the 'biner, but what the 'biner attaches to. If you left a strap out until it rotted, that's dangerous. Replacing it with a bolt screwed into the tree is even more dangerous. You need a fresh strap, and you need to use it according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

cvcman

Postby cvcman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:14 pm

well I didnt use it at all this year...it wasnt really rotted but the tree had grown and it was so tight I couldnt get it off ! So I cut it off....it must have been tight because when I cut it loose it sounded lke a .22 going off....I still think a length of 3/8" lifting chain which I have access to

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Wow, yeah, it's bad for the tree to leave something girdled around it tight like that to. Not to mention the already mentioned safety hazard to you.

The biner sounds strong enough, you should get a locking biner though, it's easy to get something against the gate of a spring loaded non-locking biner and open the gate. That could cause a fall.

Something else that you should consider is getting a length of dynamic rope for your safety rope, or a fall ratted harness, something to absorb the impact of a fall should you take one. A static rope and plain harness will just about snap you in two if you fall. You'll appreciate something with some stretch to it if you ever take a fall.

Other than that, have fun.

cvcman

Postby cvcman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I have mine adjusted so I can sit down and there is almost no slack so if i fall there isnt far to go...I wear a full harness and I weigh 140 pounds ...I have tried stepping off the platform and it worked fine...

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:49 am

Good to go

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:33 am

You might want to rethink that. If your only purpose in the woods is to observe wildlife, then I guess you are set, but if you intend to hunt, you need some slack in that tether, so yo can make the shots that are presented. I often get shots where the only choice has me bent like a corkscrew, and shooting behind me. With a bow or crossbow, I need even more room than with a gun, for the movement of the limbs.
Give yourself enough room to move some, no less than a foot or two of slack, or you are wasting your time.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions