Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Meules37

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby Meules37 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Been reading your reports guys, I'll be up in northern WI for the gun opener this weekend. With what you guys have been seeing over the weekend and early this week, you guys think there will be quite a bit of cruising still going on this weekend? It's a pretty earlier gun deer opener this year, still hoping some of the rut is going on up by us.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am

I'm HOPING that the big bucks will have started to leave the lock down phase by this weekend. This should mean that they would be cruising post-rut style. If the bucks are still all riled up, but the majority of does have been bred, then we should get some of the "chase phase" behaviors as things start to wind down. All in all, I'd say it's a good chance to kill some deer regardless.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I had to spend the weekend in the City. No Hunting.

How was the 1st gun season for the rest of you?
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:53 pm

In a word...disappointing. There were deer moving, just nowhere near my stands. I did get to watch the guys on the next property kill a STUD of a buck with massive beams early on opening day Friday morning. I call them palmated, or webbed, or whatever. I had this guy on trail cam right under my stand several times, so I was really hoping to get a shot at him. I might have, but the other guys got him first. It was pretty cool though, the brothers who hunt the neighboring property both shot him. He was really big bodied.

I got wet, and then I got cold on Friday. I was pretty downhearted at the lack of movement, so I probably didn't spend as much time in stand as I should have. I didn't realize how much harder it would be to convince myself to stick it out with my wife and baby at home in our warm house!

Saturday I sat a stand I thought would be good in the morning...again, nothing. I went home for lunch and fell asleep on the couch holding my daughter...didn't make it out for the afternoon.

Sunday morning I froze my butt off. I did have 4 turkeys come in to about 50 yards. I was tempted to take a shot, but I'm sure a slug would leave nothing but legs and feathers... Sunday afternoon was looking really promising... the wind had died down and the direction was perfect for hunting the edge of a bedding area that I was sure would hold deer. It traditionally draws deer that have been spooked out of neighboring properties. Plus the sun was out and bright, so I figured the deer would be laying up until it started to get cold again near dusk. I was correct... literally as I was getting to the top of my ladder stand I looked out and saw 5 big does blow out the end of the draw and head for open fields. I was really confused, thinking that they'd smelled me, but the wind was totally wrong for that. I thought maybe they heard me, but I was being super quiet. Then I saw the coyote with his nose to the ground trailing the does.... I REALLY need to get a good rifle and some coyote calls... Sat until dark and gave a pass to a housecat. He looked too skinny to eat.

No deer for me first session. I guess that means I just have more opportunities second session.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

stu27

Postby stu27 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:13 pm

About the same as Deebz. Didn't see much in the way of movement all weekend. Did shoot a pretty nice doe on Friday night, but then didn't see much moving the rest of the weekend. The wind on Saturday was awful.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:26 pm

I was pretty excited for the gun opener. Had been seeing quite a few deer in the area, and my favorite spot channels the deer that have been bumped by other hunters (public land).

Right after sunrise a shot went of right behind me. I always watch in the direction of the shot to see if deer are running my way. There was a really nice buck behind some good cover about 70 yards behind me and downwind. A second shot from the other hunter sent the buck running in the opposite direction of me.

about an hour later I had a yearling buck come 20 yards away. One side of the antlers was missing and he had a smaller body. I couldn't pull the trigger

A few minutes before 9 and two does came through on the same path the little buck was on. I took one home with me. She was 2 1/2 and had a decent sized body.

I put my nephew in that stand Saturday morning to see if we couldn't get him his first deer. The cold and wind squashed that. He got out the stand to move around. He did stick it out with me all day, but elected to skip Sunday. Maybe 2nd season.
Semper Fidelis!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:20 pm

November 29, 2013

Cold! 13 degrees at sun up and 3 of us headed out to hit some ditches for the illusive ringneck pheasant. 3 ditches later we had 5 birds and called it a morning.

Dec 1, 2013

A group of seven of us still pursuing birds took to the fields and ditches lead by a pack of eager dogs. It was a ringneck jihad as we limited out for the first time this season.

Round 2 of gun season is upon us. I get to participate this time. Good luck to you all and stay safe.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:02 am

I need to catch up...

December 5-8, 2013

The 2nd firearms season was not too good. The short of it was I saw 2 does on the run at 80 yards Thursday morning. Didn't see a deer on Friday, had other obligations on Saturday, and the weather turned to crap on Sunday so I opted to watch football from my recliner.

Bring outt he smoke pole!

December 13, 2013

I made my way to my campground stand pre dawn with a light cover of snow yet on the ground. It was about 4 degrees. I saw two deer cut by at about 60 yards before legal shooting time and it was too dark to make out whether they were bucks or does. But, about 5 minutes into the legal shooting time, I had 7 more deer come down the same trail and turn towards me. All does, I picked out a large doe in the lead, and the 50 cal barked. She plowed snow for a bought 30 yards and gave it up. I saw one more deer after that, a small button that I gave a pass.

That evening, I went to a different stand, the stand I had taken by buck from with bow. I had a fawn come in about a half hour before dark, fallowed by a doe. The doe stopped and looked right at me, smelled and went back where she came from. The fawn was clueless and kept eating 15 yards in front of me. While the doe was out of sight, I was able to adjust my positioning, anticipating the mothers return to her young. And when she walked back into my view the 2nd time, the smoke pole brought home a muzzle loader opening day double.

December 15, 2013,

With a fresh 6 inches of snow on the ground a couple of buddies and I took to the ditches and whacked 5 more roosters. The birds were holding tight and every one was shot over point. I love good dog work.

I've been blessed with another bountiful hunting season. That makes 6 deer in the freezer for my family this year. Two nice bucks and 4 doe. Until the late season, I'll be hunting horns from here on out if I choose to hunt deer anymore. I have that new crossbow that I haven't used yet, so if the weathers right, I may be out there. Otherwise, the rest of the year will likely be concentrated on Pheasants, I need to get the dogs out as much as I can before the end of the year. I haven't hunted them as much as usual to this point, and they need to earn their keep. :D

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I didn't get to go out for Muzzleloader... I have a tag too. I couldn't bring myself to take off any more work for friday, saturday's nasty weather kept me home, then the wife decided we needed to get christmas shopping done, so Sunday was a no-go as well. Just as well, I haven't seen any deer on stand that weren't a half-mile away out in the fields since first shotgun session.

Big Horse--get ahold of me if you want another guy to tromp around behind your dogs with you...I could use the exercise, and I probably won't even kill every bird I shoot at!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:25 pm

We might be able to do that Deebz. Do the in laws have any ditches up that way with some decent cover?

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois