New guy!!

Tips and tricks for using this forum
davis351

New guy!!

Postby davis351 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Hey what's up guys? I'm new to this site and hunting all together. Just baught a bow today and can't wait to get out and use it!! Looking forward to all the helpful info you all have to share! My names joe by the way!! :D

Woods Walker

Re: New guy!!

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Welcome Joe. Pull up a chair. There's always room at this campfire!

Just got a bow, huh? I assume that you had someone tune it and match you up with the right arrows and such, so now what you must do is perfect your form (which is not an end game, but something that any serious archer CONSTANTLY works at) and practice, practice, practice. When you get done then practice some more!

Please feel free to ask us anything!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

davis351

Postby davis351 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome buddy. No I didn't have any if that done haha I just got it off Craigslist. It came with a few arrow. And some arrow heads. Before I take it out on the field I plan on taking it to a shop and see what they say.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:31 am

DEFINITELY take it into a shop... preferably one that has a shooting range.

There are so many things that need to be set up to you specifically... unless 2 people are almost identical in size and use the exact same shooting form, it is almost impossible for them to be able to shoot the same bow. After you get someone to show you the ropes and help you get the bow "tuned" to your draw length/weight/anchor point etc... you need shoot as many arrows as you possibly can.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the world of bowhunting!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Welcome Joe. I too would suggest a shop check out your new bow, mostly because it is used. Keep in mind, there is nothing wrong with used. My bow may be older than you are.
A bent stick with a bootlace will kill a deer if you must. And any bow can do that, but one tuned to your size and draw length will do the job better.that much is very true,
but being used, it might have fatigue problems in limbs, cams, or cables, that could cause Injuries to you if they were not caught. Loose or misaligned arrow rest, or a worn out bow string. These things do need to be addressed before you you start shooting with it. A bow shop is the place for that.
They may also advise you on better sights, razor head tips, and the correct arrow length and type for your type of shooting.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Forum rules and help