Camo Questions

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Re: Camo Questions

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:44 am

I have almost pulled the trigger on buying a set of the thermacell heated insoles... I'm just really cheap when it comes to things like that. I don't really NEED them to be able to hunt.

The deer movement in my timber during the late season is usually terrible anyway, so I don't do a whole lot of sitting still and hunting once it gets really cold.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 am

Just returned home from a morning hunt. Temps in low 20's with windchill in mid teens. Used toe and foot warmers in a 1000 gm boot. Cold after 3 hours sitting. I hesitate to spend $100+, to use maybe 6-7 times a year, but cold toes suck.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:52 pm

Here's my solution:

Boot Blankets:

If it gets really cold, I throw some of those chemical handwarmers in.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I agree with Sham the boot blankets rock. I bought a pair about 4 years ago and finally took them out of the package this year because it was cold as the dickens opening weekend of the gun season. I wore insulated boots with the chemical insoles & then put the boot blankets over them. Stayed out from before sunrise to sunset and never got cold feet.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:23 am

Dang!
I just realized those pictures were taken in early 2006. You can see Lil Angus' toy rifle in the shot. I gotta say those boot blankets have aged better than I have. They still look new.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 am

An internet buddy who is on several other sites I'm on, just got notified by StuffStuff that he will be receiving a pair of the ThermaCELL foot warmers from the testing program. Several of us had picked them as one of our ten items on our wish list of test items and it seems that this guy always manages to get something that I had picked for my list.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:53 pm

For what it's worth, there is a new product coming out. No connection with me, but it could be interesting. http://www.gizmag.com/cabelas-color-cha ... amo/30127/
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

CleanShot

Postby CleanShot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm still really interested in finding out how to properly layer with a tree harness on. It really hampers your ability to do so.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:08 pm

The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:39 am

Boot blankets do work...I have them for those really cold days when I will be in a stand for a long period of time Kind of clunky though and just one more thing to carry to your stand.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions