Serious Doubt or Seriously Misleading

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
1911p

Re: Serious Doubt or Seriously Misleading

Postby 1911p » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Road kill down? I don't know about that one, I've seen plenty of road kill lately. Also if people aren't traveling because of the economy; Wouldn't that lower road kill? Gas prices are lower now than they've been in years, that might have something to do with the economy, probably an incentive to buy more gas.

Anyway, if I had to blame lowered deer populations on any one thing, I'd have to blame Coyotes.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:08 pm

The road kill stats are from the Illinois Department Of Transportation (I.D.O.T.), and the numbers were significantly lower in the Chicago suburban counties, where people are certainly NOT driving any less, as the traffic jams and drive times can attest too.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:47 am

If the local morning travel news on the Savannah television station is any indicator, road kill and accidents involving deer certainly aren't down in the Coastal Empire region of SC and Georgia. Also, it's less than 1 mile from my house to the main down town section of this little hole in the wall town I'm from, and everyday, there is at least one road killed deer in that short distance. I do use trail cameras along with personal observation to questimate the herd size on my small acreage; and even with the 8 deer I've killed and the 2 that my brother and nephew killed off of this approximately 78 acres, I still get pictures (day and night) of various groups numbering anywhere from 4 to 10 does in groups, along with pictures of 3-6 bucks. But, as I've stated, I plant plenty of food plots and have a lot of water and bedding areas on what is predominantly a pine plantation. I realize that not all of the deer I see and get pictures of actually live every minute of every day on our property, but considering that this is the central location for food and water in the vicinity, I believe there is a strong, healthy population that can easily absorb the numbers that have been killed, especially since I've effectively reduced the number of predators. I base the predator reduction on the increased number of fawns I had this year, along with the increase in the number of turkeys even after the floods we had in the late summer and early fall that devastated large numbers of the turkey population in this part of SC. I've also noticed a very significant increase in the rabbit population, after several years where the numbers were down.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Previous

Return to General Discussions